1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade targets for rebuild

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Le$$

Le$$ Member

If the rockets are just looking to get picks for the players where the team will not give back any salary is probably whats going to happen.
    Nobody probably interested in (Dipo, Tucker, Gordon Ben, House, Exum ) w/ any combo package where they give away one of there impact players to just dub down to Dipo or any of the players mention. I wouldnt want to trade my 3rd best player or potential prospects for any of those scrubs. Rockets might get a young unknown(Nunn or Precious) tied 2 first with dipo. Gordan and wall your stuck with. Maybe 2nd rd picks for rest.

2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I'm amazed y'all still think Oladipo will garner a couple 1sts... If we get 1, that's a plus for his delusional ass...

Nook and Grizzlyshark like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I believe the idea or direction is to tank while over glorifying our trade prospects. Build up their trade value?

Display them in the “Display Window?”

We could give Wood all the touches; but that does what for Wall, Cousins, Dino, Nwaba, Brown, Tucker, House, EGo?
    Just collect dust in the back storage..............produce, no trade value?

McLemore can shoot, value is high for a team full of defenders that need spacing. We hope not playing him allows people to forget how bad is his defense is.

Wood will get plenty of touches after March 25th. Trust you me.

#23 ApacheWarrior, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    xaos likes this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Tilman will go for picks over players. The trade value of our vets is quiet low currently as you have pointed out. I doubt if that will matter to Tilman at all. He won't hesitate to collect a few SRP's.

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Good news is DraftNet has us drafting 3 players in the first round (4th / 14th / 18th)

Cable Cunningham PG/SG (6’8”)
    Roko Prkacin PF (6’9”)
    Usman Garuba PF (6’8”)

John Petty in the second round

Unfortunately the center I wanted moved up to 11th (Charles Bassey) but the other guy I mentioned was Roko P.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

PG) Wall.....................Cade Cunningham / Mason Jones
    SG) Eric Gordon........Kevin Porter / John Petty
    SF) Tate.....................
    PF) Wood...................Roko P
    C)

And money to spend on free agent center.....I’m not sure I would go Roko since I’m moving Wood to PF.
    Frank Kaminsky could play both backup center and backup PF.....just saying. I might go best SF with pick #14.

Plus all these second round picks, wow, what to do what to do?

I expect Wall and EGo to continue to be Rockets; but House may need to be attached to Tucker to move.

Here is Cade. See lob pass at 55 seconds in. Lob to Wood from 6’8” PG.....I love it.

#25 ApacheWarrior, Feb 11, 2021
  6. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

So when you make these trades and none of these guys stay because they don't want to play for tank city then what?

7. sydmill

sydmill Member

See my previous post, "Tank city" can be turned into an up and coming young team in just a season or two.

8. sydmill

sydmill Member

https://tradenba.com/trades/tVNI7r9vu

Such a deal gives the Rockets a roster for next season at:

1 - Wall (31) and a FRP
    2 - Porter (21), Gordon (33), & Jones (23)
    3 - Nesmith (22), Tate (26), Okpala (22) and a FRP (preferably a 3/4 - Kuminga? Barnes? J. Johnson?)
    4 - Achiuwa (22), Williams (24)
    5 - Wood (26), Spalding (RGV), and Cousins (31, re-signed vet mentor)

That is not a contender but it is a balanced, young roster that you will subsequently add 3 first round picks (or young players acquired via trading those picks). The season after next, 22/23, is when you can actually start looking to move Wall and Gordon for disgruntled players making serious coin. Might someone like Devin Booker be obtainable for Gordon, one (or more) of these young players and multiple first round picks? Fox? Luka? Ja? KAT? What options exist for Wall's contract?

A few words about the trade suggested above: None of the incoming players play more than 15 minutes/game (Achiuwa plays 15.4 min/game) and none have a +/- of better than .3 (Williams). Each of these guys are likely non factors in the 2021 playoffs whereas Tucker, Oladipo, House and McLemore can at least provide something. This deal purports to net the Rockets -27 wins this season (which would actually really help with keeping their own pick since this deal also strengthens Miami) so the Rockets are losing talent presently. However, I venture to guess, over the ensuing 3-5 seasons Achiuwa, Williams, Nesmith and Okpala would help the Rockets win many more games than any of Oladipo, Tucker, House or McLemore (since none, other than House, will be on the team after May).

#28 sydmill, Feb 11, 2021
    asmith8266 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

How are you trading away $35m in salary and getting back <$10m? That site must not consider whether the trade works under the NBA cap at all.

Also, if you're going to trade our two expiring trade assets and two reasonably priced rotation players, I'd like to get back more than Miami's #20 pick in last year's draft and a group of back bench guys.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Any team in a trade can always go down in salary, with no restrictions. So, we are good-to-go in that trade.

The question is how can Celtics take on so much salary.
    Answer: The Gordon Hayward massive trade exception, which is something like $28m

also note: each team can construct the trade from their viewpoint any way that best suits them (wrt salary matching). So, likely, Iggy would be absorbed directly into *part* of the Hayward TPE, and the other two players would salary-match as normal trades with their two Boston outgoing players.

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Thanks heyp. I totally forgot the Celtics had that TPE. (Still doesn't work from a talent standpoint but at least the salary cap makes sense.)

Nook likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I do feel like maybe Gordon , and walls value has gone up.

expiring guys like nwaba and brown are cheap and could be good bench pickups for some contenders .

PJ’s trade value has probably gone slightly down ... but his value to us as a player has gone way down . MDA thought PJ was a top 10 player .

gordon is the only guy surely worth a first imo.

Now , we do have sooome ability to take back bad contracts . That is valuable , how valuable usually depends on the upcoming FA class and teams needing to bookmark space for giving their own guys raises .

Oladipo looks like straight dogshit to me . Right now he’s likely most valuable as an expiring contract , not because teams want him as a player .

we are just in a tough spot . Ususally are after losing an mvp ,especially when you were already thin and asset depleted WITH him.

out of our guys from preseason to now .. I’d say .... Tate , Gordon , wood , brown , nwaba have up arrows (maybe wall too but still a big question mark)

oladipo has a huge down arrow , pj slight .

rest are flat , but I can’t really remember (little too stoned right now )

we need to focus on boosting Oladipo’s value lol . That’s does NOT mean making him a superstar ball-handler . Gotta play him with wall and use as a shooter . Play him with Gordon too and let Gordon/Tate handle . Shoot / slash / and get after it on D .

Wood being out hurts . But we should be playing Tate WITH PJ and cousins in the starting lineup . Then give pj an early break . Slide Tate to 4 or 5 and use house as a 3/4 with nwaba .

stop playing so much Dipo/Gordon/ wall

stick with 2/3 and use size at the 3 . Nwaba house , Tate .

13. sydmill

sydmill Member

Talk to me about the talent standpoint. You talking about Dipo + Mac for Precious, Okpala and Iggy or Tucker, Iggy and House for Williams and Nesmith?

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

thats a dream scenario!

#fadeforcade

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. sydmill

sydmill Member

What do you suggest is a fair value for 3 players everyone knows the Rockets aren't retaining and House?

The $$$ saved would likely be music to TF's ears too

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I’ve been wanting a tall PG since Penny Hardaway was with Orlando. Recommended Ben Simmons for the role
    but Cade looks like he can be a slightly shorter version but with the outside shooting.

Tall PG neutralizing the 6’3” SG of Eric Gordon. Me likey.

I’m ok with Roko Prkacin. Not sure about Usman Garuba, seems like a slightly shorter version of Capela. Can hit
    a few 3’s. 31% on about .7 (3-pt attempts). Guess if Jordan Bell can play center, Garuba can too.

Think backup SF to Tate is important if House is sent out in trade. SF thru free agency can be costly.
    Cheaper to go draft first round SF as backup and free agent center or centers. Guess quality in the
    draft/free agency at both positions will determine the path we take.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I commend the effort. Wow. I always marvel at the same time laugh to myself at threads like these thinking the time it takes to do all this fantasy GM work. Lol clutch fans are great!

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You had me at Cade my guy ... you had me at Cade!

fattz, ApacheWarrior and saleem like this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You are right, too much dreaming.

So then...

GSW’s take Corey Krispert 6’7” SF out of Gonzaga at 19......right after Rockets pick Garuba at #18.
    Give me Cade / Roko / Kispert an I’m happy as a clam.

I haven’t been excited about the NBA draft in a long time. Watching these kids in the Silas system would be
    great. Watching them grow while competing hard. Can’t say it enough......Great.

#39 ApacheWarrior, Feb 11, 2021
    fattz and Verbal Christ like this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

Obviously some really "optimistic" targets on there, but also a lot of realistic targets. I like the overall direction, trading in vets plus some guys like BMac and House for some younger talent or picks.

Dipo for Precious + Nunn is something I'd be interested in.