1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jamie Rootes resigns

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Buck Turgidson

Live look at Texans fans

TMAC3 likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

cmon man. Im not shooting the messenger, but there is nowhere on earth that Matthew Stafford at 32 has more value than Watson at 25.

Cool story and all that, but its hard to believe any of it given the context of the comparison given.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I wasn't obviously privy to the conversation - but contract and compensation matters. Watson is going to cost *a lot* more, to the point where you have to legitimately consider if the gap between them warrants the extra cost.

Stafford is a very good QB. He's not better than Watson - but he's not far off, statistically. Put him in a better system, with a better coach (which is what's happening) and it might be even closer.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I respectfully disagree. Cost is relative. We'll see how good Stafford is next season, but he reached his apex years ago. Stafford has one pro bowl to his career and is really just above average. Just like when debating QB salaries and getting sticker shock over Watsons contract, yet never adding context that there are guys like Stafford who earn almost as much as he does, but are deemed better "value" even when underperforming in a side by side.

We can compare Staffords best season vs Watsons best season here: https://stathead.com/football/pcm_f...yrfrom=2020&player_id2=StafMa00&p2yrfrom=2015

edit: Stafford still had Megatron in this comparison FWIW

5. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Different roles within their respective organizations.

Just as Cary McNair and Cal McNair are different even though they're siblings. One's in charge of actually running a profitable organization which requires work and relationships. The other is CEO of the organization a 6 yo couldn't even eff up and still keep it profitable.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The 2 best QBR rated years in Stafford's career are the last two...

But ... yeah... obviously you'd rather have Watson, regardless the cost.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So QBR will be the be all stat we use in comparing them moving forward? Watson is still better in year 4 than Stafford in year 12.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

im just pointing out... the idea that Stafford is 32 and "washed up" or something doesn't make much sense.

DW is clearly better, as i noted.

9. Mashing

Mashing Member

I honestly think the only driver for change is for sponsors to start puling out. We actually need Easterby to Cal to get caught up in some sort of scandal as that might force the sponsors hand. I'm probably dreaming though.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Cost isn't relative. The equation is not Stafford = Watson. The equation is Stafford + cost to acquire + cap impact = Watson + cost to acquire + cap impact.

Watson is clearly better - the question is how much better? That difference is going to cost and you have to measure whether the cost becomes prohibitive for what might not be a prohibitive difference. If the GM is smart, this is the equation he's trying to figure out right now.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I absolutely agree with you. He got roasted in the room for even saying that.
    When the trade happened I ripped him up.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, there’s definitely a Cal and Cary dynamic between those two lol

Sooty likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Mahomes moved up the last few days on draft boards. There were also reports stating that the Texans had Mahomes number one on their board.

Mahomes deserves a lot of credit. He is in a good system with good players around him but he is arguably the best player in the league not named Tom Brady. He is a cross between Dan Marino and Brett Farve. Tremendous talent and a strong leader and a very hard worker with true humility.

ROCKSS and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd say Watson is a cross between Moon and Elway.

Of course between the two of them, they only would need to be more like Joe Montana... with a coaching staff of Walsh/Holmgreen... to win 5 Super Bowls.

Nook likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Not going to get into ANOTHER QB X vs Watson debate - I like Stafford. TX kid and all that, but "franchise" QBs cost $$$$$ thats just the nature of the beast. Its not easy to find them. For us apparently its not easy to keep them either!

Stafford should do well in McVays system and that team as assembled should continue to push deep into the playoffs and with some luck who knows. I wholeheartedly believe Stafford is head and shoulders better than Goff. If Stafford can command 2 first round picks Watson will command more and to say that the market on Watson is "cool" because of the price is just another narrative. Half the leage doesnt get linked to the guy in one way or the other if the price is too high.

Texans will come away with a historic haul OR Deshaun will retire and work with the league for reinstatement and compensation to Houston as well. It would be more efficient for Caserio just to do it now.

cmoak1982 likes this.