1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jamie Rootes resigns

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Feb 10, 2021.

1. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Elon then pays the McNair’s 420.69 in Dogecoin.

2. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Never said AR was a paperweight, just that Mahomes was more important.
    And Alex Smith had pretty much reached his ceiling as a qb.
    I'm sure the hardest thing was keeping Mahomes on the bench the entire 1st year, when it was probably obvious to the coaches and players that PM was the better player.

And just because the "media" didn't have PM that high in their mock drafts doesn't mean the nfl draft personnel didn't.
    Cleveland who we traded up with for Deshaun 2 picks later would have took Mahomes there if he had made it to #12.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You still did not address the fact that AR was given the side eye when he traded up for Mahomes.

Mahomes was a fringe 1st round prospect from NFL draft personnel as well nobody had Mahomes going to Cleve.

You can't give credit to Mahomes without talking about Ried the guy who put his neck on the line to go up and get him and to play him when everybody said he was to raw.

You got some real revisionist history going on here, I was high on Mahomes and even I was surprised, as all of my Tech friends were.

raining threes likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...-narrow-problem-with-houston-texans-gm-search

The issues with Korn Ferry @justtxyank nites are laid out in the above.

still I would have rather they chose Omar then Casiero but I definitely did NOT want their likely coach recommendation.

as @justtxyank nites this team was mediocre already. Better than a lot of really **** teams but not on any path to Superbowls.

I actually have some confidence in Casiero and Culley. Not sure why but they both come across as quietly capable and competent in the way o think Stone/Silas are actually an improvement... even though the overall roster, given injuries etc, is worse.

clearly Cal sucks. Most people seem to hate Easterby so I guess he sucks... but I don’t get the religious hate part... even if it’s heavy handed (and I practice zero religion). But he seems to be I guess kind of a sneaky behind your back a hole kind of dude.

but Cal is Cal.

5. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

No revisionist history whatsoever.
    There was a story that came out that Cle. would have taken Mahomes at 12 if he was there, foregoing the trade with us.

Also just did a quick search for 2017 mock drafts.
    Looked at 5 or 6 and NOT ONE of them didn't have Mahomes as a 1st round pick. NOT ONE!
    CBS had him at #13.
    Lance Z's said "Mahomes goes before Watson".
    There may be some revisionist history but it's not from me.

raining threes and Sooty like this.
  6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He had the best Arm talent in the draft. I mean there was a 40 page thread about him on this board.

raining threes likes this.
  7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Houston guy ..oilers guy and this has been me since 2005ish.

Top game was vince young coming in and working over texans.

Seeing them suck is so much fun. Another awesome high water mark was probably rosencopter

These guys are the epitome of trash anyone who thinks otherwise is brain dead

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

well, yes quite frankly I think there is back scratching there.

the guy who hired Carroll in Seattle didn’t call them liars but he told his story. The night he fired Mora he decided he wanted Carroll and went after him. They had already hired Korn Ferry to recommend a gm.
    Clark hunt gave interviews about hiring Andy Reid and says he called him on his own to ask him if he wanted to coach or take a year off. When Andy said he wanted to coach Clark Hunt made it clear he was his guy.
    Bruce Arians did a damn tv interview the day after the Bucs fired their coach and said he wanted that job and had a personal relationship with Licht.

like it doesn’t matter what korn ferry says or got credit for, they didn’t get those three guys their jobs.
    My hunch is:
    Seattle: they already hired Korn Ferry for GM. When they told KF they were pursuing Carroll, KF “endorsed” him and take credit for a recommendation

KC; Chiefs did ultimately use KF to get KF guy Farmer so again, another likely “let us take credit for them as a package deal” thing.

Bucs: Bucs did hire KF for consulting. Bucs told KF they liked Arians who they independently scheduled an interview with so KF endorsed him.

Here in Houston the Texans interviewed Riddick who was not on KFs initial list, however they endorsed him as a finalist.

I think KF was angry and probably took heat from Khans agent when Texans didn’t hire him and that’s why they put it out there that they didn’t recommend Caserio.

but for all the Korn Ferry lovers who will feel better if they are taken seriously, KF is the reason the Texans had David Culley on their radar as Harbaugh recommended Culley to KF as someone to get interviewed

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Damn Fox 26 said the Texans President resigned and I thought they meant Easterby.

rfrocket and conquistador#11 like this.
  10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

WRT to the Easterby religious jokes, it isn’t because he’s a Christian. It is because he acts like a die hard Christian but is clearly a ****ing snake in the grass fooling a trust fund idiot who can’t even speak without a cue card in front of him and using religion as the culture that should drive a football team and their decisions. It is ludicrous. We make the Jets look functional. Argue all you want about the value or lack of value of KF, they wouldn’t have hired David Culley.

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Exactly!

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...erby-strikes-another-blow-Texans-15939778.php

As of 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jamey Rootes was still listed on the Texans’ official website as the franchise president, just below co-founder Janice McNair and CEO Cal McNair.

Someone better tell the Texans.

And the McNairs.

Rootes, the team’s longtime president once best known as Bob McNair’s right-hand man, abruptly resigned Wednesday morning.

Resigned is the nice, polite, old-fashioned way of putting it.

Easterby’d is the modern slang that the smart, hip kids use.

One day you’re happily locked into a prime role with one of the NFL’s 32 teams, helping place hundreds of millions of dollars into the pockets of Houston billionaires.

Then you are Easterby’d either because you got knifed in the back while looking the other way or simply woke up on a January morning and decided real life was too short and you were done with the drama.

Is Janice McNair paying attention to the intricate details of this absurd Shakespeare play?

Will Cal McNair finally wake up and realize that if the Texans are serious about keeping Deshaun Watson in local red and blue, getting rid of the Texans’ villain could be the easiest and fastest way to fix a broken culture and change the plot?

To be continued …

For now, let’s stick to the facts.

What do ex-general manager Brian Gaine, ex-head coach/GM/offensive play-caller Bill O’Brien and ex-Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, among many others, have in common?

The Texans’ executive vice president of football operations, who recently doubled as the team’s interim GM after O’Brien was canned.

Once Rootes’ name is removed from the Texans’ front office, Easterby will reside just below Janice and Cal McNair on the staff directory. Technically, new GM Nick Caserio is above Easterby. But since Easterby directly influenced the hiring of Caserio — which led to Watson’s requesting a trade — and played an integral role in the unproven David Culley becoming the Texans’ new HC, it should read McNair, McNair, Easterby on the franchise’s depth chart.

Complicated, I know.

But that’s just how it goes when constant chaos follows the hiring of a character coach/team chaplain.

The moment Easterby helped push Rootes out of Cal McNair’s small inner circle, it made sense for Rootes to start searching for a trap door.

Find an exit. Open the hatch. Get out.

But this quickly? This way?

As Queen sang: Another one bites the dust.

The Texans’ press release: “Throughout Rootes’ tenure (2000-2021), he was responsible for all of the Texans’ business functions. He oversaw the team’s efforts to secure stadium-naming rights and sponsorship, coordinated radio and TV broadcasting relationships, engineered the club’s successful ticket and suite sales campaigns, led the creation and launch of the team’s identity and developed the team’s highly acclaimed customer service strategy. Under his leadership, the Texans have consistently been recognized as one of the most valuable professional sports franchises both in the NFL and globally.”

So why walk away now, just when things are really getting interesting on Kirby Drive?

You know the answer because you’ve been reading about the drama surrounding Gaine, Hopkins, O’Brien, Watson and many more in the past 20 months.

What connects all the diverse names?

What unites all the dysfunction disguised as constant change?

Easterby, of course.

He didn’t fire Rootes. Just like he didn’t officially fire O’Brien or Gaine or trade Hopkins for peanuts.

But the Texans keep changing — their latest incarnation was a horrible 4-12 football team — and the unpredictable Easterby keeps being elevated by McNair.

Who needs enemies when you have a manipulative co-worker like this?

Rootes had no involvement in on-field football decisions, so the 2021 Texans will keep moving forward (with or without Watson).

But the rotten smell keeps reeking, and the seething frustration of 2020 hasn’t gone away in the new year.

Rootes suddenly resigning from the Texans was unthinkable a couple years ago. He truly believed in the warm, uniting power of the organization more than anyone else on Kirby. If you pointed out that the Texans always disappointed in the big games under the bright national lights, Rootes immediately pointed to the packed stands and season-ticket waiting list. And all the J.J. Watt jerseys on the backs of still-proud supporters. And the smoking tailgating lots.

Rootes eagerly smiled, shook hands, sold tickets, filled seats and got millions to buy into the Texans.

If Rootes had a fatal flaw, it was that he was too optimistic about a team that still hasn’t won a divisional round playoff game.

In February 2021, Gaine is gone, Hopkins is gone, O’Brien is gone, and Watson badly wants out.

The McNairs’ trusted right-hand man has now followed all the old names out the same door.

While you keep tweeting #FireEasterby, McNair keeps listening to and being swayed by the untrusted Texan who must be named.

Easterby.

Sooty, Rudyc281 and conquistador#11 like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So where did the other ones have him being taken?

You picked the one outlier every other mock had him going into the 20's

So yeah revisionist history.

All of this is still glossing over the fact that Reid was the impetus of them drafting him so high and him playing so early.

Sooty likes this.
  14. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

The ONLY mock draft place I use - Walter Football. DID have Mahomes in the first round to... guess who? The Texans.

Took all of 10 sec to search that.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2017_1.php

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I don't give a hoot about how he helped build a profitable franchise, but damn I hope he writes another book just about the 2020 season

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

[2020] The Winning Formula
    How we had our most successful season yet

17. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I don't want to clog the JR thread with clutter so this will be my last post on the subject.
    The cbs mock wasn't cherry-picked, it was the FIRST mock that comes up when you google "nfl mock draft 2017".

Even so we picked #25 that year.
    I don't think you can label someone that goes consistently 3/4's of the way through the round if not higher a "fringe" 1st rounder.
    To me a "fringe" 1st rounder would be someone that goes 30-32 in some mocks and misses out completely on a lot of others.

Here's 2 different articles implying that the browns would/might have taken Mahomes had he made it to #12.
    The article I read back then was even more emphatic, stating that cle would not have done the trade with us had Mahomes been there at 12.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2017/10/why_the_browns_passed_on_desha.html

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...-garrett-in-2017-so-why-didnt-the-browns.html

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Take it for what it’s worth. I’ve been talking to Omar’s brother, who works with the Saints in some capacity, through a game we both mutually play.
    He’s a nice guy with great stories, but his knowledge is suspect.
    Said Stafford had more value. Then went on to say Stafford would maybe fetch a 2&4. Then went on to say Watson would only net a 1&2.
    He talks a lot about culture, very important to Payton in NO.
    Granted it’s just his brother, but if Omar was the same type of thought process, I’m glad we didn’t hire him.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

interesting...

well, like i said, im willing to give Casiero a legit shot. And that first shot might be trading DW. But if he does that and gets like 4 first and Williams ++... then regardless of how it turns out, that's a super GM move... if he gets like 2 first and 2 seconds... meh.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

live look at Texans front office