1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall’s value is increasing more than any other player on our roster. Should we trade him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Feb 10, 2021.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Wall has absolutely no trade value. His contract is too big for any contender to take and he's too old for a young team to want.

I actually think it's fine keeping him here. I think he is content, having not played in so long, just getting a chance to be on the court again. Plus it's not like we will be taking on big contracts any time soon, so his k isn't really that bothersome imo. I say just keep him, A smart veteran PG is a good thing to have around young players, someone competent running the offense will only help them grow. PJ and Oladipo are the guys they should be looking into moving. I think PJ can net a 1st rounder at the deadline from a true contender, he'd be very valuable for a finals push. Oladipo, maybe the same, but could have more interest from middle tier teams too. You can look at moving Eric too but his contract may prohibit that. I also wouldn't mind the young guys learning from him for another season or 2 either.

HewbieTrippin likes this.
  2. riko

riko Member

Yep...he feels like he is the franchise. He said as much publicly... someone needs to hell him you better learn to defer Wood who is better then you and the franchise player

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What value though ..... he is on an albatross contract.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Wish we just kept Paul. He is balling at a very high level and would be going into his last year next season

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Yep. And on a very similar contract at the age of 35. If Wall makes it through the season playing this well he will have value.

#65 gmoney411, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    True Rocket and cdxiong like this.
  6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Ways for John Wall to have positive trade value

1. Become top 10 player
    2. Salary cap doubles

The end.

7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Kemba's contract is just as long and he maybe damaged goods. Boston I think is probably the best bet to pull it off because they would only be picking up a few million and the length of the contract is the same.

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I wish we can keep John Wall.
    Demarcus Cousins need to be included with John Wall also, friendship wise and go to a Real Contender and a Great Location in Miami.

But his High Salary, Cap Space and needing the Younger Players to get more playing time.

Anything can happen to John Wall and Demarcus. It is better to move them to a Contender and not waste their year.

Or John Wall and Demarcus could get injured and be Out for the Season.

Young Healthy Players or 1st Round Picks

9. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

If Cp3 can get traded for a 1st round pick after leading the Thunder to the playoffs so can John Wall.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

John Wall is finally playing after a two year hiatus. If he continues to play well this year, there might be a small chance he can be moved without assets going out at next year's trade deadline. Only way this year is if we took back an equally bad contract. Who would that be? Please don't say Kevin Love or Kemba Walker.

11. Mr. Space City

Ricky Rubio, Kelly Oubre, Ty Jerome, Jalen Lecque, and a protected 2022 first-round pick

12. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I’ve seen enough from Wall to give me confidence that he absolutely has trade value now. If moved now at worst he nets you another equally bad contract with added assets and best case he nets you desirable players in return. He really only has 2 years left on his contract and if he is kept until his last year he will be on a massive expiring deal.

Houston’s long play is to hope Wood develops into a stud and via free agency/trades you land a second star. They would then use Walls massive expiring deal to get their third star to make their trio. Wood would then sign for the max and that would be the team we go ring hunting with.

13. Elvin Hayes

Elvin Hayes Member

No team is taking Wall or his contract. Bite the bullet and survive until he is off of the books.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

funny how things work. the player that has actual skills and iq and doesn't rely on athleticism is actually aging dramatically better than the guys traded for. Who would have thought.

oh wait, a number of us on cf's did but most didn't. that's right

#74 YOLO, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  15. markiboy

markiboy Member

He will be here whether you like it or not and I also don't mind him being our PG. I just like Oladipo to improve his game as a playmaker.

16. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Mm, I'd say we keep. His trade value is somewhat moderate at best imo. The fact that he's also sitting out a bunch of games leaves time to prove he's truly 100%, even though he's played pretty well thus far. Give him the rest of this season and we'll see where he's at, as I think he's better than a trade package would net at this time.

17. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

The problem with trading John Wall at the moment is we absolutely don't have any other point guards on the roster. We play so much better with Wall being in the lineup juxtaposed Wall not being available. Also imo Wood and Wall play better when both of them are in the lineup together. I would keep Wall for the current moment and see how far Wall and Wood can take us. But even the guys who are under the belief that we should trade Wall, we still would need John to ball out and for the Rockets to be at least the sixth seed to maximize his trade value (all of which will take time).

18. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Yeah I wouldn’t want those guys. I don’t mind Wall at all right now, but if a time comes where he can get him gone in the right deal I’m down. I’m in no rush to trade Wall though.

19. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Another reason I don't wanna trade wall is that I kind of like his demeanor and approach as a leader. Seems like he's a great leader for a bunch of guys with a chip on their shoulder and wanting to prove people wrong. Gives us a gritty identity along with oladipo and cousins coming off injuries, and wood proving he's a star in the making.

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You are literally insane and have no idea how to do the most rudimentary valuing of players.