1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. Vipers Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

There are multiple types of bipolar disorders.

I heard he was bipolar on one of the basketball podcasts before he was even a Rocket.

2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

https://www.inquisitr.com/6475170/john-wall-heat-rockets-blockbuster/
    That is largely what I saw, though he does see the court to pass pretty well, so the IQ might not be hopeless. He looked pretty uninterested in anything but scoring.
    Just one game, so I hope that Love who has seen him much more has a more accurate assessment.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In fairness, that's pretty much all I've ever seen from players in the D/G League.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Ice on both wrists, so they call him BiPolar

GotGame15, RudyTBag and DreamShook like this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Feels like this is because he is not invested with the Vipers. He knows this is just an assignment he needs to finish. You can tell he wasn't interested in winning the game just going through his paces.

RudyTBag likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

not a good sign but i hope he's more concentrated on his out of court habits anyway.

DreamShook likes this.
  7. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I agree with your take but for this season ... we should explore PG duties for him seeing as we have no backup point guard whatsoever ... and with him being a very ball dominant player anyway.

#127 BHannes2BHonest, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  8. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I was not impressed at all. I was expecting him to look for his teammates while also probing and picking his spots. He looks like he is cut from the Ricky Davis, Larry Hughes, John Salmons cloth. Major chucker, did not care about getting teammates involved, doesn’t play defense.

If he’s going to make it he will need to really show that he’s a willing facilitator and understands what it takes to win. So far it’s not looking too good.

Corrosion likes this.
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Nice start for him. Hope he keeps it up and builds on it.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Has anyone found a video of KPJ highlights from this game?

Too busy to watch an entire G-League game today. :D

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

And this is the maturity issue thing coming out. Gotta grind that chip off his shoulder. Has to ask himself why is he there.
    Once he recognizes he needs to polish his game and buys into the Viper experience that will be his key back on to the roster.

Based on what I am seeing in the thread, I hope this kid does not turn into an Eddie Griffin! RIP!

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I didn't know this about KPJ and that would certainly explain the mood swings.

topfive likes this.
  14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The kid hasn't played professional ball in a while, so maybe it's natural he'd have tunnel vision once he hit the hardwood again.

Let's wait a game or two, then excoriate him. AND Stone. Bu WA HA HA HA.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was a fantastic defender with the Cavs last season.

Yesterday he clearly wasn't trying much.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

I am trying to remember what podcast I heard it on.

My wife went to medical school and while she isn't a sports fan she read a couple articles on Porter after hearing me talk about the Rockets getting him and she said that the actions and timing of what Porter has done is consistent with someone that has one of the bipolar personality disorders, and she thought he may be have cyclothymia or possibly bipolar 2.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Great. ANother Royce White.

18. lalala902102001

There's a reason why KPJ's in the G league -- he is not ready yet and needs some development. He's clearly talented but immature based on how it went with Cleveland. Let's keep an open mind and not rush to judgement on this kid just yet. I hope John Lucas can do something good with him and I hope for his sake Porter starts to learn what it takes to be a professional on the NBA level. If that happens in a year or so we could have something good on our hands. If it doesn't work out we just move on as we basically gave up nothing for him (a heavily protected 2nd rounder that may not even convey).

19. Nook

Nook Member

It was his first game in a long time and he is only 19 years old.

Importantly the tools are clearly there. He can handle the ball, he showed the ability to generate separation, he had excellent body control to finish inside. He also appears to be a solid shooter for a scorer. He isn't an elite explosive athlete but he doesn't need to be with his body control and instincts to finish.

DonKnock, D-rock, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Personality disorders aren't part of Bipolar illness. Bipolar Disorders can be corrected with medications, but it's almost impossible for a professional athlete to play under their influence, because of adverse effects. I have heard that Delonte West has Bipolar Disorder.

Personality disorders require long term psychotherapy with a variable response. It is possible for persons with personality disorders to have co-existing Bipolar Disorder as well. This makes the prognosis even worse. Cyclothymia is a milder version of Bipolar Disorder. One of the most capricious personality disorders with frequent mood swings is Borderline Personality Disorder. It's extremely difficult to treat. I'm surprised that the Houston Rockets wouldn't have looked very carefully at Porter Jr's mental health history before taking a chance on him.
    @Nook