1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall’s value is increasing more than any other player on our roster. Should we trade him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Feb 10, 2021.

1. vince

vince Member

I’m sure there isn’t any bond between Wall and the Rockets. Wall is happy collecting his money. The Rockets are trying to put the best team together. Ehh if there is a trade.... National media is probably excited that Houston isn’t in the thick of the title hunt any longer.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You are out of your mind. The rockets would take that in less than a heartbeat.

3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    :eek:..........

@J.R.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Honestly, Wall, Tate and Wood are the ideal core to build around in terms of effort and leadership. Wall's contract is a monstrosity but at least he's not toxic like Harden. All three on 3 year deals and leave room for another max player or a bunch of solid vets. I think Wall isn't moved until 2 years max.

Ming The King and Zen Tabak like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

that’s an ideal core to build around if u want to cement yourself as mediocre 1st round fodder

the only max player you’re getting to come here to play with that trio is the likes of Oladipo on a max

6. REEKO_HTOWN

Fact is Wall, Wood and Tate aren't going anywhere. I don't know what to tell you. That core can't lose enough games to tank. I know you wish they could but...Sorry?

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

just because they’re not going anywhere doesn’t mean that they’re some “ideal core” to build around

imagine wasting time building around 30 yo John Wall who is just an above average PG at this point, a role player in Tate, and Wood, and calling that ideal

Really?

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Wall most likely "leads" this team to the lottery until he's gone. Which is fine because the rebuild is on.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

We're dealing in realities right? The realities are that John Wall cannot be moved. The situation isn't ideal because of wall. It's ideal because of Wood and Tate's contracts. Both are starting caliber NBA players with tons of upside on long term deals.

The situation is ideal because you have a team that is flexible with their cap and their plan. They can develop young players as to contend in 2 years or add pieces and try and get lucky like Toronto did.

Did you think the core of Lowry and Ibaka were a good think in 2017?

I think that is going to be Stone's plan. Draft talent and try to find guys then hop on the chance to trade for a disgruntled star

10. thekad

thekad Member

Capped out, mediocre team with almost no real assets and multiple bad contracts is an “ideal situation” haha. It’s amazing the fiction fans can make themselves believe.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Had Wood not got hurt we would not be having this conversation.

BamBam likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Long term deals? They both have 2 years left after this season and will then be unrestricted free agents. That’s not long-term. Tate also doesn’t have tons of upside. He’s a hustle/energy guy with a bit of skill that’s already 25.

Raptors without Kawhi were still a 50+ win team capable of making the conference finals...the Rockets are a mediocre team that struggles to hover around .500

trade for a disgruntled star with a year or maybe 2 left on his deal if we’re lucky that will likely leave in free agency as we continue riding on the mediocrity treadmill

13. REEKO_HTOWN

You seem to just gloss over the fact that our team has been decimated by covid, injuries and a cancer in James Harden. With everyone but Harden here we are actually a good team. Maybe not a great team but good enough to go on a 6 game steak.

I feel for you man. This market is just too big to tank the way you want it too. Sorry, you're going to just be disappointed.

BamBam and Zen Tabak like this.
  14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

It's interesting how fans of retooling/rebuilding teams seem to focus entirely on the asset acquisition component and not the asset development side. Having a guy like Wall is a huge factor in helping young guys develop their games.

15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He's 30 and being paid the max. We need to decide if he is a championship calibre player to quickly add pieces to in order to win a title now or if we are going young and looking to the future. I believe it is the latter. The future of this team belongs to Kevin Porter Jr. And Wood and one other young stud most likely a pg. I think he's traded with Boogie Cousins.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Wall is overpaid but is an above average PG. if he could figure out how to throw a lob to Wood he could get his assist back up to around 10 and be all star worthy again.

No contract is untradeable. If the Rox wanted to move him I’m sure they could. All we can do is wait till the trade deadline. Possibly the entire roster outside of Wall and Wood could be on the move.

rockets1995 likes this.
  17. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Like in life, people tend to focus on what they don't have more than making the best of what they do have

BamBam likes this.
  18. haiti_king

haiti_king Member

Funniest thing I have heard all day....thnx..I needed that..lol

19. riko

riko Member

Is he even top 50 player? Probably in the late 30s at best

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

a lot of teams have been decimated by Covid and injuries, so the Rockets aren’t special

lol, as if the Rockets would’ve beaten a fully healthy Blazers or teams like the Lakers if they never had to deal with the Harden distraction...

a 6 game win streak against decimated and/or scrub teams...that little win streak has people gassing up this team so much

the best team we played in that little win streak was a below .500 Mavs team missing 4 starters or the Blazers who had to start Melo and Kanter because they are also missing several starters, and that was supposed to be so impressive or something