1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reports of multiple Karens not wanting to play in the All Star Game

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RKREBORN, Feb 6, 2021.

1. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Reports of a single Kuruken dreaming to be in the all star game.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Love the personal attacks over an opinion regarding basketball, your bed side manner with your patients must be a delight, Robert.

#83 RKREBORN, Feb 8, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  4. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

A+ thinking.
    "I understand neither that (1) they are not welching on contractual obligations and (2) I am calling the players greedy in support of boosting owner returns."

Bearded13 likes this.
  5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Dude, I like you and your posts, so I'm just going to drop this argument now.

6. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

The prodigal son returns!

7. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

Seriously, (1) what do you think a Karen is; (2) do you understand that they are not welching on contractual obligations; (3) do you understand that you are "that guy" who accuses the players of being selfish when the alternative is $$ for owners.

Bearded13 likes this.
  8. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Deleted... not worth it.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Doesn't he want to be in the Aqua show of Arthur Curry?

TimDuncanDonaut and sirjesse like this.
  10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I bet Eric Gordon would love to play in the All Star game. You can call him the replacement. Go look at his contract, if you don't get my point.

11. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

There are non-negotiables like the length of the season, the playoffs, or the All-Star Game. In regards to the complaining, I wonder, what's the point? A lot of the actions the NBA players have taken this past year are going to end up costing them in the next negotiation. The ratings are already poor, for them to voice opinions that will further deflate interest in the league even more... I mean, you are correct, they could do what they want, but is it smart from a business perspective? Or is it just them emoting?

I am not the only one that brought up the business perspective of this issue. Compensation is part of the business. The networks compensate the NBA, the NBA compensates the players, with fans ultimately being the source of it all.

I would admit that I am making an assumption on the players being unwilling to forego a part of their salary and not play in the All-Star Game, but they have complained before and the NBAPA has needed to step in to give them a reality check. I believe that reality check was money and is also money in this case, because, and I might be wrong about the timeline, but the discussions between the NBA and the NBAPA were still ongoing while the players were complaining.

Based on the facts available, I think what they are doing is hurting their financial future because fans will not want to watch players play a game the players will only play because they have to. I can't say if they are wrong or right, but will say that they need to fulfill their obligations, as the league has to, and as the networks have to.

I am not even thinking about regular people at all... I get that special people get special privileges, but this is business. At the end of the day, playing basketball is the main thing required of them.

That's the question. From all the recent complaining by the players... the threatening to not go to bubble, threatening to boycott the bubble, and now this All-Star Game... we could deduce that somebody told them to get over it and play or else. I think that or else is related to money.

Is this true? I know they took a loss for the bubble, but I thought the point of starting so soon and playing 72 was for them to get the entire value of their contract. That was what the networks demanded of them.

RKREBORN likes this.
  12. Outlier

Outlier Member

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Major

Major Member

Players get a fixed % of BRI (Basketball-Related-Income). Normally, BRI is really easy to predict, so it's not an issue. But if BRI ends up lower than expected, players' salaries are held back and not paid. If BRI magically increases unexpectedly (not sure how that would happen in a given year), the players would get a cut of it. It's one of the beauties of the NBA system that keeps labor problems in check relative to, say, the MLB where the two sides are always at odds. When the NBA loses revenues, the players and owners share in it.

JumpMan and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  15. Major

Major Member

But even those are negotiable. Both last season and this year, the NBA season length and timing was renegotiated. Playoffs were expanded last year to include a 9th team. All-star game wasn't cancelled last year because it was before all hell broke loose, but other leagues all negotiated them away in conjunction with their player's unions. Basically, everything in these leagues is negotiable right now if you're willing to give up something else of value.

JumpMan likes this.
  16. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Wow, I'm really surprised that fans are not able to relate to what the players are going through. Money and fame does not make them less human. In fact their circles are probably tighter than a normal person because the people they can truly trust who aren't after their money is very limited. Imagine not being able to see that small group of people who keep you sane, while you are publicly hated on by millions of "fans".

I am sure the pandemic has taken a toll on all of us, but we are still in a first world country, Mexico was laughing at how spoiled we were for not being able to eat at restaurants etc. The pandemic has taken away things that everyone had previously in their life, money can make things easier and more accessible (private jets to avoid commercial airlines etc), but it can still have the same effects on your mental health as someone with no money.

17. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Dame being a class act.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

we gotta follow wat supreme leader lerbon says or else

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He shall give rise to the word 'Hot Karen'. 'Horen'

Jontro likes this.
  20. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Did you not watch the ASG last year? For whatever reason, the dead clock at the end of the game made it the most intense ASG I've ever seen by far. Almost playoff level defense in the last few minutes.