1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

News: Mavs first team to stop playing national anthem.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Feb 10, 2021.

?

Is it a big deal?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    33.7%
  2. No

31 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. Doesn't matter

34 vote(s)
    34.7%
  1. TimDuncanDonaut

Mavericks become first NBA team to cease playing national anthem before games

"The Dallas Mavericks have ceased playing the national anthem before home games this season and do not plan to play it moving forward, a decision made by owner Mark Cuban that he confirmed to The Athletic on Monday evening.

None of 13 preseason and regular-season games played at the American Airlines Center this season have featured the anthem before the game, including Monday’s game against the Minnesota Timberwolves, the first played this season with a limited amount of fans in attendance.

The Mavericks did not publicize the anthem’s removal, and The Athletic was the first media organization to reach out about the change after noticing its absence on Monday. Multiple team employees described only noticing the anthem’s removal on their own, as it was also not announced or explained internally.

Cuban declined a request for further comment or explanation Monday evening. The Mavericks organization also declined comment Tuesday."

athletic

"According to Cato, there was no internal announcement about the decision. Team employees only found out when they realized it for themselves. The NBA's other 29 teams have found ways to play the anthem without having a singer in the building, largely by using recordings, but the league itself has permitted the choice not to play it at all. "Under the unique circumstances of this season, teams are permitted to run their pregame operations as they see fit," a league spokesman told The Athletic.

League rules state that players must stand for the national anthem, but those rules have not been strictly enforced in recent years. Players on every team in the Orlando bubble knelt for the anthem when the season resumed last summer. Mavericks owner Mark Cuban supported the decision, and the league as a whole used the Disney bubble to promote the social justice messaging such protests inspired. "

cbsnews

2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

So is this a 'singing increases Covid by 1000% - because science' decision?

Or is this just convenient timing and it's a 'the national anthem is racist' decision?

3. TimDuncanDonaut

Pre-game national anthem in pro-sports is less common in other countries. It's Cuban's organization, that said, not sure how much backlash (short burst or not) may come out of this. Or maybe other teams may follow.

Please try to keep it relatively close to the sports/news. Don't get on a tangent politically too much, otherwise, mods, feel free to move it to the D&D.

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I never understood why Americans play the Anthem before games. Of it is a game between two nations I understand. But in you own league, wit?

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Never a fan of the anthem before every sporting event. When it's played so often it feels like an obligation that cheapens it.

It should feel important.

6. TimDuncanDonaut

Tradition I suppose.

Good point on the outside nations. Raptors pre-game is long; they do both the U.S. and Canadian anthems.

Kevooooo, hakeem94 and roslolian like this.
  7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The National Anthem is political and has no place in sports. Keep it in the Olympics or the World Cup where people are representing our country of course, but why do sports represent a complete representative of America our country? It's only there to create nationalism and associate something you love (sports) with another thing you love (our country).

8. don grahamleone

What if it's a what's-the-purpose of playing it decision? Or it takes away from the focus of the product (basketball) decision? Or maybe it's a my-best-player-ever-was-from-Germany and had to listen to the anthem 1667 times and it felt like a bit much decision?

#8 don grahamleone, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I want to say Australia does it because I know they do before State of Origin games. I'm racking my brain to remember if they play it before normal rugby league games every weekend or not.

It's one of the things outsiders (myself, a brother and several friends) all find fascinating and considered a great point to Americans - how patriotic they are to their country. I should probably use the terminology 'were' though now instead.

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  10. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Is this an assertion or a fact that the Star Spangled banner is political? If so, what political party do you say it supports? Did you know that, in China, back in the day, was either Communist or Nationalist? The Nationalists is now Formosa/Taiwan/China. I’m all about a melting pot as I am an immigrant here myself. As a citizen, I get to exercise many rights afforded to my by the constitution. The national anthem is a reminder of those rights. When that goes out of existence, something else takes over i it’s place to fill that space. My two cents. You’re free, to do what you will.

T for 3, Nook and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Mark Cuban will never be president.

FrontRunner and hakeem94 like this.
  12. airflights92

airflights92 Member

I wonder how much faux outrage he'll get for that?

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Please move to D&D. You can not have a valuable conversation on the topic without discussing slavery, patriotism, tradition...or if I reference emails from some of my older coworkers' 'our HERITAGE !!!!'

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

What you get when you let a Cuban run a team.

Entropy, Mr Woods and hakeem94 like this.
  15. don grahamleone

I can see what it represents to you when you hear it, but not everyone hears what you hear.

It is political. If I could sit down and talk to my buddy throughout the song, I might feel differently. However, anytime you hear the National Anthem (which I do actually like the song, but not how it's used) the people around you will expect you to stand at attention, take your hat off and respect the tradition.. otherwise many many of them around you will consider you an unpatriotic b*stard.

If I do not show that respect to the event, people will say something along the lines of: "Do you hate America?" That, my friend, makes it political. It's the reaction to its seeming disrespect that makes it political.

My feeling is that people should feel free to leave politics out of their private life so that they may enjoy their lives as Americans (or guests or migrants or immigrants) however they should choose. Being forced to listen to half-assed patriotism at every major event doesn't allow Americans/guests/migrants/immigrant the freedom to not give a ****. Culturally we have to do certain things or face ridicule and for that.. I am proud of Cuban.

Glad you're here with us here in this pretty nation and thanks for sharing your point of view.

16. rockets13champs

There’s no fans in Dallas yet. So it makes sense

17. rockets13champs

Exactly good amount of NBA players aren’t even American.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Cuban is also not allowing any female reporters into the lockerroom.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Love it!, IMO sports is never about a patriotic mood. There are other events for that.

don grahamleone likes this.
  20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Last Rox home game, a spurs fan, several rows behind me (section 112) didn't stand up. He was with 3 others, they stood. But no one bothered him. That said, only takes one moron not minding their own business to start some ****.

don grahamleone and jiggyfly like this.