1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real origin of covid19 ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I'm not arguing against this. The virus has now had hundreds of millions of chances to mutate. I'm disputing that it could not have been engineered and accidentally released. In fact that is exactly what they were working on at the Wuhan lab. I would speculate it's more likely that if it came from the Wuhan lab that it was engineered.

The closest known virus to Covid-19 was found in a mine shaft 1000 miles away from Wuhan, but was sampled and stored in the Wuhan lab.

Theory #1. It jumped from bats to humans 1000 miles away from Wuhan and stayed contained until it mutated into a highly virulent strain and found its way to the Wuhan wet market where a super spreader event occurred.

Theory #2. A person who worked in a lab that studied and engineered SARS bat viruses accidentally became infected. It spread and one of those people walked into the wet market causing a super spreader event.

We don't know which theory is correct, but calling theory 2 a conspiracy theory is ridiculous.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Also see prev post.

The engineering the virus theory is based on gain-of-fx research. EcoHealth is the one that paid Wuhan lab ~$600k over 5 years for conducting genetic analysis of bat coronaviruses. Not for gain-of-fx research.

"We have not ever participated in gain-of-function research. Nor have we ever been funded to participate in gain-of-function research," Robert Kessler with the EcoHealth Alliance told PolitiFact last May.

3. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

https://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_description.cfm?aid=9819304&icde=49645421

Then tell me what kinds of experiments they’re running under “aim 3”.

4. Agent94

Agent94 Member

He was also the leader of the scientists that wrote the paper claiming that it was natural and not from a lab that the media jumped on. The whole narrative was created by scientists with a vested interests in protecting their research and income stream.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

6. Agent94

Agent94 Member

This quote says nothing about outsourcing the research to the Wuhan lab.

https://www.newsweek.com/controvers...may-have-started-coronavirus-pandemic-1500503
    "What's more, Wuhan Institute of Virology scientists have for the past five years been engaged in so-called "gain of function" (GOF) research, which is designed to enhance certain properties of viruses for the purpose of anticipating future pandemics."

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

They paid Wuhan lab for 5 years of work, as stated above that quote.

Was there another source for the 5 years of work other than from EcoHealth? EcoHealth has rejected that accusation. If they are lying, go after them. But you are going to need evidence to do so.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

The CEO of the organization that served as the conduit for the research funding to WIV being a member of the relatively small investigative team looking for the origin of the virus doesn’t strike you as absolutely reeking of improprieties?

I guess OJ should have been a member of the jury as well.

And the CEO of Boeing should sit on the board of NTSB.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Quit bringing bats into this.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pangolins done it

B-Bob likes this.
  11. Agent94

Agent94 Member

It's irrelevant who funded the work. The fact is the Wuhan lab was engineering viruses.
    An article in Nature from 2015 discusses whether "engineering lab variants of viruses with possible pandemic potential is worth the risks" https://www.nature.com/news/engineered-bat-virus-stirs-debate-over-risky-research- 1.18787#/b1
    The discussion was in response to gain-of-function research on a bat SARS virus, some of which took place at the Wuhan lab.

So the closest know virus to sars-cov-2 was at the lab, they were doing GoF research, and this research was know to have pandemic potential. These are all facts.

calurker likes this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Was the article you linked supposed to prove the "fact"? Because it didn't mention Wuhan lab.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Bro, you're not supposed to actually read the link.

jiggyfly and London'sBurning like this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It’s a clear conflict of interest. WHO should have excluded him.

calurker likes this.
  15. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Conspiracy theories again..

people need to just look at science and move forward...if Trump listen, maybe we wouldn’t be in such a mess but he was too busy with his team of conspiracy lovers.

Bannon and former secretary of idioticrocy ....if they believed in something , I am going in the opposite because they are full of poop. How many times can you believe a lair...I guess maybe one time they could be right after 1,000,000 lies..people do hit the lotto I guess.

So I am Going to let the 10 so called experts from 10 different countries give us facts from The WHO team, then listen to the stooges

16. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Which fact? I was pointing out that many scientists thought the research was dangerous. From the article - “The argument is essentially a rerun of the debate over whether to allow lab research that increases the virulence, ease of spread or host range of dangerous pathogens — what is known as ‘gain-of-function’ research.”

The article is referencing this paper - https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3985 where the Wuhan lab is a part of the team doing GoF research.

The previous Newsweek article I posted also said the Wuhan lab has been doing GoF research for 5 years.

17. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I just read the rest of the article. “MIT biologist Kevin Esvelt reviewed a paper that appears to have been published with financial assistance from the grant. According to Esvelt, certain techniques that the researchers used seemed to meet the definition of gain-of-function research.” It looks like someone is lying. This is now four articles I’ve read that says the Wuhan lab was engineering viruses.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Almost every major virus in the past 100 years was based on eating meat. Either filthy meat or exotic meat.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The gene is already sequenced. Seems like geneticists are skeptical this virus is tailor made, so if it were engineered, it would be messy and unpredictable at the very least.

So for the labbers out there, what was the purpose for tha labbing?

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes, I know. But what does that have to do with SARS-CoV-2? Are you confusing the SHC014 virus used to engineer a lab virus with SARS-CoV-2??? Or, are you implying that because it was done at least once, it was done again with SARS-CoV-2? If the latter, that's hardly proof.

from the linked article:

30 March 2020 Editors’ note, March 2020: We are aware that this article is being used as the basis for unverified theories that the novel coronavirus causing COVID-19 was engineered. There is no evidence that this is true; scientists believe that an animal is the most likely source of the coronavirus.

If EcoHealth is lying, go after them. It's not acceptable behavior (and very criminal in this case). If there is suspicious that they are lying and someone can prove they did lie, they will get a lot of good attention. Journalists and Scientists, wake up.