1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, it was down early about 4-5% and they had beat on the top and bottom line. I'm going to keep holding it, as usual.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What stocks will give me exposure to the sex robot industry?

3. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Missed the dump :(

4. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

If anyone is interested in investing in BTC without the hassle of creating a wallet / crypto account, just buy MSTR. They're like a crypto fund masquerading as an IT company these days.

5. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

REI one to keep an eye on . Big volume on Sep $5 strike calls today. Grabbed some yesterday

saitou and davidio840 like this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

SPAC this SPAC that. Is this the new CDO? Let's just figure out ways to bet more money because why not?

Ziggy and Sajan like this.
  7. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

All red. Any news? + Any good dips to buy?

Ziggy likes this.
  8. Sajan

Sajan Member

was wondering the same thing.

Ziggy likes this.
  9. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

tbh things still look expensive even after the current dip lol. for now, i sold short puts on ACRX, if it ends up below $2.50 this week i get back the shares i took profit on this week at a 20% discount.

#15050 saitou, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  10. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

SPACs aren't new. They've been around forever. But nowadays all of these startups are trying to bypass SEC reporting requirements for IPOs by launching as SPACs.

I think everyone saw how the WeWork IPO filings basically obliterated their valuation overnight. And consequently, I have little trust in companies that launch as SPACs. Every now and then there's a SPAC that is launching because the company is really quite small and isn't in a position to pay the huge cost that comes with a traditional IPO but I really feel that most SPACs are just dodging publishing an S-1 that will destroy their business.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

But isn't that the same thing these banks were doing during the financial crisis? Crappy loans packaged as great loans and rated but corrupt agencies? Transparency in finance is key and if these investors reward SPACs with tons of capital it will become more and more corrupt with less incentives to be honest because that only stops the gravy train from moving.

Scary **** but this time from the investor side and not the bank side...yet.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The bank stuff was exponentially worse than SPACs filings.

The issue with banks and insurance in 2008 was that they were piling bets on top of other bets and created trillions in liabilities from a few billion dollars of loans. SPACs dont create anywhere near that kind of liability. Don't get me wrong, some of these SPACs are incredibly shady but the banking crisis in 2008 was many orders of magnitude worse than anything involving a SPAC.

Sajan and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  14. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

There are 200+ spacs out there. A lot of them are bad, a lot of them will lose money. geem has covered the risk wrt lack of info.

Right now there are 2 types of plays - buy in before merger news/rumor based on the management/backing of the spac (for example a thiel/sam altman backed spac) and hope they get a good deal. In theory if the deal is bad, shareholders can vote note to take the deal.

The other play is to buy in after announcement (you may have to pay a higher price, but you get to evaluate the company being acquired and the terms of the deal).

For the investor SPACs are a chance to buy at the same price as the institutions or close to it ($10 a share), unlike the IPO process where institutions get huge discount before open and when it opens on market the price has already run up. Look at snowflake, BRK got to buy at $120 and it opened at double the price. Risk/reward, i welcome the choice.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

Thanks for the info guys. I'm curious because my wife and I about about to open a brokerage account now that her career has gotten to the point where we are debt free and want to make our money work.

marky :) and saitou like this.
  16. adoo

adoo Member

actually, everything associated w wall street is scary ****

that comes w the territory

btw,

when was it not scary **** from the investor side ?

17. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

a LOT of insider buying too back in jan, but that was when it was at $1. i bought a bit to gamble becos i trust u! :D

Rodman23 likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lost a lot FAST this morning. Very WEIRD.

Sajan likes this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

TSLA in 5 years?