1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Bowl LV: Kansas City Chiefs vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 7, 2021.

?

Super Bowl LV: Chiefs vs. Bucs

Poll closed Feb 7, 2021.
  1. Chiefs

70.0%
  2. Bucs

30.0%
  1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I figured I might as well repost this since everyone is.

Houstunna, KingCheetah and J.R. like this.
  2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I'm referring to with this team. Yes, Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc could all win with a dominant D like that.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The Tampa Bay defense was awesome and Brady didn’t go to some **** team to try and win. He went to a good team that needed some help. But you can’t discredit the absolute ****ing magic that is Tom Brady. He elevates a franchise. And he intimidates the **** out of whoever is on the other side. It doesn’t show up in the stats but it’s shows up in ****ing 7 championships including 1 after just getting there. The dude is what he is, the greatest quarterback to ever play the position. Don’t over think it.

STR8Thugg and arkoe like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

The offense for the Bucs was statistically better than the defense this season.

The Bucs were the 8th best defense this season.........

The Packers (Rodgers) were 13th giving up one more point a game that the Bucs.

The Chiefs (Mahomes) were 10th giving up 4/10's of a point more than the Bucs.

The Saints (Brees) were 5th giving up half a point a game less that the Bucs.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Criticizing Winfield is not a defense of Hill.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Hard to believe we watched the same football games.

Brady looked average (at best) until the Superbowl, and even then he didn't look great in the Superbowl... he was just cruising down easy street with that defense and running game.

Just about any QB could have won that game playing for Tampa last night. They were firing on all cylinders except being able to throw it beyond 10 yards.

7. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Do you criticize Hill after every touchdown?

I see nothing wrong with the antic by either. It’s professional football. It’s the Super Bowl. **** outta here with your sportsmanship.

ferrari77 likes this.
  8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

“Could” but did they?

what’s the point of that ridiculous hypothetical?

RODGERS COULD HAVE WON WITH THE 85 BEARS!!! CLICK THE LINK BELOW FOR SLIDESHOW EVIDENCE!!

TWS1986 likes this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s about decision making in the playoffs.
    People are measuring performance based off fantasy football which doesn’t matter for the super bowl

STR8Thugg, JumpMan and Nook like this.
  10. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

got em!

STR8Thugg likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, no..... Brady made every throw that he needed to be made, and he was also audibling at the line and changing plays. He was a master and once they had a 21-6 he changed how they played, he was a lot more cautious.... he also several times was visually angry at the sideline on plays and they ran what he wanted and the plays were accurate.

Also a lot of yards that Brady would have had were never shown because the Chiefs were caught in pass interference and holding.

The Bucs defense was solid but not spectacular during the regular season and the playoffs. The Bucs defense was excellent in the Super Bowl, and they were better prepared than the Chiefs. I am sure the Chiefs missing Fisher was part of that. However the Bucs offense figured out the Chiefs starting in the second half of the regular season and that carried over into the playoffs.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You're a little too worked up about this.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, I agree with this...... decision making and the confidence to audible, insist that the coaches change their side line calls and then know who to and not to throw to and to get rid of the ball. There was ZERO nervousness and zero doubt by Brady....... I guess when you are a 43 year old man and have been to 10 Super Bowls, that is what happens.

STR8Thugg and tinman like this.
  14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Did they have a chance to?
    It's not exactly a ridiculous hypothetical. It's merely trying to describe the ease or simplicity with which someone could have done the same job in a similar fashion in that certain game.

I subscribe to the belief that Goff, Stafford even Andy Dalton could have won that game the way the Bucs defense was playing and with the Chiefs O-line woes. But none of those players would have got the Bucs to the Super Bowl in the first place and none of those players would have inspired the Bucs players on offense and defense like Brady did this season. His play-for a 43 year old was awesome but for a great qb in the league was ok. But it wasn't so much his ability as much as his mindset that they needed. His will, his mentality, his character on the field and the locker room were worth more(plus restricting his turnovers in certain games).

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the superbowl is a bunch harder event to go to because the NFL is setup for parity. there's also many more players.
    there's little parity in the NBA.

Nook likes this.
  16. ferrari77

The Bucs also lost Vita Vea halfway through the season. That was a major blow on the d-line and made it easier to double Suh, JPP and Shaq at times. The return of Vita was major. They could have still won without him but it made things a lot easier for Bowles to scheme to get Shaq into the backfield quicker and to give his secondary time as well.

TWS1986 likes this.
  17. ferrari77

Brady isn't the only good qb that can audible and change plays at the line and make throws from the receiver route tree that need to be made. He did what needed to be done. The two keys re. Brady in the game for me were simply that he didn't turn the ball over/was cautious when necessary(took a few deep shots when necessary but at his age he just wouldnt be chunking the ball downfield a ton anyway) and his will/inspiring teammates/ making his teammates accountable. But re his actual play and the way the defense played and was just set up overall, most good qbs in the league would have come out on top. It reminds me of the last time the Bucs won the Super Bowl, with ....Brad Johnson under center. Brad Johnson. Great defense and competent qb. Same with the Ravens two Super Bowls- Dilfer and Flacco.

Also, I don't know if I'd say the Bucs were better prepared than the Chiefs but rather the Chiefs (Bienemy and Reid) just got stubborn with the lack of necessary adjustments. No adjustments would get them that win necessarily but there were things to be done to get that game close to start the 2nd half. (Heavy sets/personnel for the run game, screens, dink and dunks). Plus it wasn't just missing Fisher. This is how great Mahomes/Reid/Bienemy are that fans thought "oh they are missing so and so on the o-line again, but they'll still win". Their entire first choice o-line heading into the season was gone yesterday. Not a single player on that O-line would be a starter if Fisher, Osemele, Kilgore, Duvernay-Tardiff and Schwartz were fit. Add in their top O-line pick in last years draft-Niang as well as Rankin. I mean their O-line situation was a DISASTER.

Icehouse likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Credit to Mahomes. He made a lot of plays under pressure that his WRs never completed. Bucs would've still won, but it would've been closer.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. ferrari77

On God I have been thinking this all night. Mahomes had the best game one could ever expect to see from a QB under more pressure than any other QB in any other SB has ever faced....playing with an O-line comprised of backups(albeit some who started at various times during the season but none ideally a starter). Big Ben had a great game in his SB vs AZ when his O-line was almost as decimated as KC's but Big Ben had Arians as coordinator and a HOF defense. Arians called a good game for Ben and his defense was as expected. The chiefs have zero potential HOFs on defense(maybe Chris Jones or Nnadi might grow into it but that's doubtful).
    But back to Mahomes. The Bucs should have had no less than five sacks in that game. It's a testament to Mahomes ability that he kept them to three sacks(because it damn sure wasn't his O-line that limited the sack total). His arm strength is beautiful and the ridiculousness of his passing ability. His receivers were blanketed mostly but when it was time to make a play, they didn't help him out.

I keep thinking what other QBs in the league could have played as well as Mahomes did last night under those circumstances and the only other QB I can think of is Deshaun. Could Russell have? Josh Allen? I dunno. But I know Deshaun is the only other QB that would have definitely been able to keep the Bucs under 5 sacks whilst still getting the ball out to his receivers and giving them a chance to make a play. (Another Texans fan sad moment :()

#300 ferrari77, Feb 8, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2021