1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does The NBA Control Outcome of Every Game? Refs Prime Example.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Velcromium, Feb 7, 2021.

1. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

I feel like every fan feels their team is always the team not getting calls.

It definitely seems like stars and even some random players get branded a certain way as a defensive stopper or elite scorer and a lot of time that means the defensive guy is allowed to bump or reach more than the next guy for whatever reason and get away with it.

Think about when James was going off and they tried to say if you touch him it was a foul. Funny thing about that is James drew contact and for a while was getting every call but as more players/teams complained he started getting less calls and when the playoffs rolled around he got even less.

Playoffs are officiated different than regular season but still. It is hard to argue but I gotta say in the grand scheme, no conspiracy!

Patience likes this.
  2. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

You’re either Adam Silver’s CF burner account, or the most gullible person I’ve ever encountered if you truly think some of these games aren’t rigged.

Wake tf up dude.

clutchdabear and harold bingo like this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah. Spurs have like 5 rings and they the most boring team ever. In contrast NBA media stars Nash Suns didnt even get 1 ring, even got jobbed cuz of wrong officiation in favor of boring old Spurs.

Raptors won vs the GSW media favorites and golden child KD.

I remember one Finals matchup was TD Spurs vs Kidd Nets, it was one of the lowest Finals rsting sever. If the NBA was rigging games that would never happen they'd give the rings to Kobe to make him Jordan 2.0 and bring back the Jordan glory years.

People just want to blame tin foil conspiracies over their own weakness. If you really thought NBA is being manipulated here's a thought: dont watch it.

#43 roslolian, Feb 8, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    Patience likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why tf would NBA bother rigging games between 2 insignificant teams? Even if the NBA is corrupt and rigs games why is your evidence a non bearing game nobody would care about? You think the NBA is a rigging maniac and rigs games for fun?

If anything this shows the NBA isnt rigging games since you think an example of that is one where the NBA wouldnt even bother rigging a match.

Patience likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

some games are definitely rigged...I will agree that this last game against the Spurs wasn’t rigged tho if that’s what people are trying to claim on here

the NBA isn’t gonna bother rigging some early regular season game between 2 mediocre and irrelevant teams like the Rockets and Spurs...it would be like Adam Silver instructing the refs to go rig a Charlotte Hornets game or something...we’re currently on that level of relevancy or probably even less because LaMelo Ball gets more hype and attention than anyone on this roster

6. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

I said *some* of these games are without a doubt rigged — never specifically said this Spurs Rockets game was one of them.

My point is, you can’t honestly sit here and tell me you watched Game 7 against the Warriors and truly thought that game wasn’t rigged. It was just a HUGE coincidence that Scott Foster happened to be the ref. It’s a coincidence that there were 81 missed calls in favor of Golden State. It’s a coincidence that Harden had a 7 game losing streak in the postseason when Foster officiated. It’s also a coincidence Chris Paul currently has a 9 game losing streak in the postseason when officiated by Foster. Like, really dude? Give me a break.

Tim Donaghy wasn’t the only ref who gambled on games or had some sort of bias against teams.

WAKE. TF. UP.

7. foggy94

foggy94 Member

“Some of the games are rigged” isn’t what the title of the thread is. Is it.

Patience, Nolen and roslolian like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Scott Foster isnt the NBA and if the NBA was a living entity they would side with Chris Paul, a mega superstar with his own shoe line over some old ref nobody knows or even pay attention to. You think Scott Foster is Emperor Palpatine? He is only a ref making peanuts compared to NBA stars during the day but everyone bows down to him and calls him the dark lord at night? Yeah Scott foster is biased vs Cp3 and yeah he prob the reason Cp3 loses a game but that doesnt mean the NBA itself hates it own superstar....the most powerful entities in the NBA are the owners and then the superstars, duh. Cp3 himself is the head of the NBA union you think his power and influence is bigger or smaller than freaking Scott Foster? Who you think runs the NBA? You realize there are owners for each NBA franchise and collectively they oay the checks of everyone from commissioner to the refs right? Now tell me why these owners would tell Scott Foster to make Cp3 lose no matter what team he is on or who he is fighting against?

What you need to do is put the tin foil hat down and think why the NBA would purposely **** on their commodities, their superstars, for no good reason. Do you make a habit of smearing feces all over your house and destroying your most expensive appliances on a whim? Cuz thats what you are suggesting.

There were 81 missed calls for GSW so what? If thats a conspiracy can you explain why the NBA missed a call for Spurs vs Suns that gave Spurs a championship? How come there werent 100 missed calls for GSW that allowed them to beat Toronto? Or the conspiracy only happens vs Houston specifically and every other team has a fair shot? Spurs and Tor are much smaller markets than Suns and GSW, why would NBA go to trouble of rigging the WCF but not rig the Finals? In fact they failed to rig the Finals vs Spurs for 5 times, several times against KOBE LAKERS and one vs LEBRON JAMES. I capped it for so you know how big those names are.

You just turn a blind eye to all these small market teams winning because it doesnt fit your tin foil conspiracy theory. Is there corruption in the NBA? Probably. Theres no place withiut any corruption on earth will you sit here and tell me no NBA player has ever thrown or fixed a game ever? Cmon man wake tf up.

#48 roslolian, Feb 8, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  9. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

I miss the days when conspiratorial thinking wasn't mainstream. :(

roslolian and Patience like this.
  10. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

[​IMG]

ipaman likes this.
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think there’s probably a ref bias towards well known, veteran, or popular players.

There might be some “points of emphasis” bias that intentionally favors very popular or big market teams, though that’s less certain than the above.

I really, really doubt there’s anyone telling refs that they need to try to help a particular team win a given game. And the idea that this would actually be a regular occurrence is even harder for me to believe.

roslolian, Patience and Kevooooo like this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Lebron signs off on all the fkery that will ensue the following day in the league.

13. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Ironically enough, Webber was actually on Zach Lowe’s pod last week talking about that Lakers-Kings series and he said that players on the Lakers were telling him in real time on the court that the calls were fishy.

pippendagimp and Reeko like this.
  14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don’t think there’s anything nefarious going on like with that guy 15 years ago. But refs have absolutely gotten themselves into the game far more often now days. They are WAY too sensitive with the technicals. Players complain too much but refs don’t need to essentially fine players 2500 dollars everytime they use an “overt gesture” in frustration. That’s extremely excessive and it isn’t like it’s used to deter players from making gestures because they still do it. And what irks me most is LEBRON whines as bad as Ego or Cousins on every call and he NEVER gets technical fouls for “overt gestures.”

Joey Crawford would love to ref in today’s nba.

roslolian likes this.
  15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Dick Bavetta bragged openly about how he was “the leagues go to guy” when they need to extend a series.

16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

You seem to believe that the Player Union and the league office are the same thing. Those are adversarial entities.

17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

lol thanks for the arrow, couldn't see it

durvasa likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

every game no. a good amount of games yes. Point shaving is just apart of professional sports starting form the collegiate level to pros. There's just too much money involved from a number of parties and the refs have their fair share

roslolian likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's insane to say that they rig games, but they do have a history of safeguarding games against certain outcomes and I'm told that's not the same thing.

Velcromium likes this.
  20. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Nothing more normal than a shot clock being stopped a sec before the foul is called.