1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Dipo Duping??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BamBam, Feb 7, 2021.

1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone who's upset at Eric Gordon's contract will be even more mad if we resign Oladipo. That dude is trash and Gordon should be starting over him. Please trade him for anything.

2. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Hu
    Huh!! I bet you got your usual alpha battle with Dipo and Wall. Wall has a huge chip on his shoulder. Dipo got a small knick - get it. They’re basically the same player. Wall is definitely a playmaker, distributor, and most vocal on the team. Dipo is more like a beta wanting to be an alpha.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If he is, then he is dumb. This is a contract year, not a good time to show the world you are bad.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

He ain’t duping he’s just having his worst shooting stretch in his career. We saw it with Gordon last year when everyone wanted to run him out of town. He should get closer to his averages especially from 3 at some point.

I’m more disappointed in his inability to get passed his defender and the terrible turnovers.

D-rock, Easy and ROXTXIA like this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yeah, the turnovers are stank-ass bad. Last night's game made me want to start throwing things. It's like Harden on one of his ate-Chick-Fil-A-before-the-game, got-my-drank-on-at-The-Colorado-last-night turnover-type games.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Oladipo would be better off averaging less points, picking his shots, not forcing stuff, etc. Other teams will be convinced he’s sacrificing for the team and not showing his true potential and give him the benefit of the doubt. Right now these teams probably think this is him at his very best...which is not a good look. He’s trying too hard to prove his value and it’s not coming natural to him. If he just played as a role player and the Rockets keep winning, he would get a lot more leeway as far as his worth and in the end more $$$.

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think defense, even more than offense is based on athleticism. It’s possible to suffer a major injury and come back as a good , but less physical offensive player .

when your identity is as a 2-way player , and you suffer a major injury . It’s tough to get that back .

amazingly Wall has been very good on D , but he’s also missed a lot of games. Dipo is taking on too much , and he might not have enough left , especially on the defensive end. If he finds a role on offense and gets hot he can still be OK . Yes , the body effects 3 point shooting , but I believe some of that is just being hot or not .

going to the rim it looks like he only has one move , the fade-away . Granted , he was never a great great offensive player .

he needs to be very good on D to get back to his old value .

he’s not there . Granted , stats for D are rough , but in term of the eye test .. I’ve seen a lot of other guys on our team make more plays .

Dipo is definitely struggling . If he feels good physically he just needs to focus on D . The amount of perimeter defensive talent we have this year is really good (to sound like Silas) Wall , Gordon , Dipo , nwaba , Tate ,
    Tucker , brown . If Ben maclemore was Ryan anderson , harden might’ve felt we had enough lol .

wall and Dipo are questions physically , as is Gordon tho . Tate is a rookie and nwaba is also coming off an Achilles . High upside if things are healthy , but very high risk .

Dipo is definitely pressing right now . Needs to find a better mental / physical state . Let’s see if we can be healthy (around him) and Silas can help make him comfortable (keeping other guys engaged)

BamBam likes this.
  8. HROZ

HROZ Member

No idea why Silas wanted Dipo.

I thought LaVert might've had more value.
    Also the Allen trade was wierd.

The crazy thing is apart from Oladipo nobody else has cracked the rotation. And I'm not sure he should be.

I still think the Sixers package was better.
    But the picks I guess are what we are relying on.

D-rock likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

So both Silas and Stone preferred Dipo to Simmons/another player.

Silas and Stone specifically went after Dipo as our All Star target.

That does not bode well for the Rockets.

vator and BamBam like this.
  10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Did you read a report somewhere that says this? I just figured we traded for Dipo cuz he's an expiring contract and Tillman loves those.

GotGame15 likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Kelly Iko podcast.

BamBam likes this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

I don't dislike Oladipo, but if yes if we go by actual performance this year. Gordon should be starting. He took a backseat to harden/cp3 and harden/russ. From perspective of star power and Ego's prior injury, it was understandable, it's harder to justify that now.

Just because someone is ok to sacrifice, doesn't mean they should always do so. That said, not starting Oladipo would not make his trade value look good, so maybe by the trade deadline...

D-rock likes this.
  13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’m not 100% sure Dipo could get past Mclemore on defense. He just doesn’t look like he has the step. I think it’s possible he gets that back but that’s a big gamble. Between an incredibly inconsistent shot and no ability to beat a man off the dribble, he’s just not currently a $20 million player.

14. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Or maybe it’s because he had been on Indiana for a couple years and knows their offense, was the clear #1 and now he’s trying to adjust to being the #2 or #3 depending on whether Wood is playing.

Edit: Also he wouldn’t saying **** like “this game is all my shoulders” if he was trying to do what your implying. Him basically saying “I’m playing like crap but hope Miami wants to throw the bag at me still” makes zero sense. He would be blaming the team and his role/fit if that was true...

15. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Who cares who is starting...Gordon gets starters minutes and we need a bench scorer like that.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

With only a 9 game sample, his PER could change by a full point after just one game if he is awful or fantastic. I wouldn't give that any weight. Boogies changed 2 or 3 points after some games.

17. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

He’s missed A LOT of easy layups man and there have been countless wide open (for the NBA) threes missed so not necessarily sure I agree with that...I was at the game last night and that was the case once again. If anything he’s pressing and you can tell he is upset by Indiana not thinking he’s a max player...half the interviews I’ve seen he’s mentioned that they gave up on him, he’s playing with a chip on his shoulder, etc. I just don’t think he’s the type of guy that improves his game by thinking that way - he seems like a really good person from what I’ve read about him and heard directly from his mouth. Harden IMO is similar In that regard. Both of them just aren’t egotistical killers deep down no matter what they say.

Guys like Christian Wood and John Wall have the ego/mindset that works well with playing that way (angry/trying to prove the world they’re wrong type ****)...I mean just listen to Wood talk about how he always feels like he is the best player and there was a time where I think he probably took that believe too far and it created the character issues that resulted in him being undrafted.

Edit: Wood calling Shaq a casual so nonchalantly is great example.

18. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Who are you referring to when you said he’s not the combo guard he’s been billed as? I don’t recall anyone saying he’s a prolific passer or even an above average one for that matter. He’s always played with a true PG on the court - in Indiana this year he has Malcolm Brogdon (wish we could have gotten him instead lol) and prior years they had Collinson and Corey Joseph each getting ~27-30 min a game plus Aaron Holliday got about 10.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yep. If that's all true - and I suspect it is - then that's not good. I said that about our supposed plans to keep and build with Oladipo as soon as we got him. He's not that guy. Neither is Wall. Wood can be part of a core, but he's just a part.

D-rock likes this.
  20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Who cares? Guy shouldn't be in our future plans. The expiring contract is all that matters.