1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lou Dobbs - FIRED for BULLSHITTING people!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaDakota, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Pbev99

Pbev99 Member

Exactly. He went nuts after Obama was elected.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

My Pillow and Goya isn’t enough?

Sanctity, jiggyfly and CometsWin like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Less than a month into the Biden presidency and we already have the lowest dobbless rate in decades...

Sanctity, ROXTXIA, CometsWin and 3 others like this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If it was not self evident, this was all about the Bejamins.

Fox News dumps Lou Dobbs in wake of huge lawsuit

Alpha Trumpanzee Lou Dobbs is out at Fox News. The network canceled the 75-year-old conspiracy monger's long-running show after he and Fox got hit with a $2.7 billion defamation lawsuit filed by the election technology company Smartmatic.

From The New York Times:

The lawsuit that names Mr. Dobbs cited a false claim, made on a November episode of Mr. Dobbs's show on Fox Business, that Hugo Chávez, the deceased president of Venezuela, had a hand in the creation of Smartmatic technology, designing it so that the votes it processed could be changed undetected. (Mr. Chávez, who died in 2013, did not have anything to do with Smartmatic.)

The Chávez claim was made by Sidney Powell, who worked as a lawyer for Mr. Trump. She was also sued by Smartmatic on Thursday, along with another Trump lawyer, Rudolph W. Giuliani. Mr. Dobbs was also cited in the lawsuit for using the phrase "cyber Pearl Harbor" to describe a supposed vote-fraud conspiracy, borrowing language used by Ms. Powell.

mdrowe00 and rocketsjudoka like this.
  6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

This is 100% about settling the Smartmatic lawsuit for less money, a good faith effort to present at settlement talks.

Purely a profit/loss calculation, would he cost them more than he earns them. Some large advertisers may have weighed in on reducing ad buys also

#26 Dubious, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    jiggyfly and mdrowe00 like this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's what I was thinking.

Lou Dobbs and Maria Bartiromo are sad examples of respected business journalists who have gone all in with the right. With Dobbs it sounds like this was something that he actually believed but with Baritoromo it sounds like she was just jumping in to capitalize off of the Trump's popularity.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Lou Dobbs really went off a cliff ideologically the last 10-15 years.

Dude was always the Diet Coke version of Rush Limbaugh. Then someone added Mentos.

T_Man, R0ckets03, Ottomaton and 6 others like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No, he wasn't always that crazy. I've watched CNN off and on since June of 1980, the month they started (being a news junkie), so I'm familiar with most of they're "talking heads" over the years. Dobbs was pretty conventional during his time on that news network.

The guy must have figured out that he could make a lot more money at Fox being an extremist/bigot/etc. "whatever the hell he is" Fox creature, however, so he simply changed his spiel. Dobbs likely felt more comfortable as well, spouting that lunacy (which apparently fit his real thoughts about certain subjects like a glove) and just got worse over the years. As has Fox in general. All in my opinion, but pretty accurate.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

fwiw: he is not FIRED ... rather, he was cancelled

Fox is still paying him, but not playing him. He's been benched.
    But they are keeping his contract, so he can't go to a rival.

In the OP's article:

The Los Angeles Times, which broke the news, said Dobbs "remains under contract at Fox News but he will in all likelihood not appear on the company's networks again."

This is something known in the TV business as "pay or play" -- a network can opt to keep paying a host but not put them on TV, keeping them out of the hands of rival outlets.

#30 heypartner, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

read the article in OP. Fox didn't fire him. They cancelled the show.

They are paying him, but not playing him ... so he can't go to a rival. (See the quote in my post above from the OP article)

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

even though he was a conservative, i remember him being very critical of the bush administration especially on their fiscal irresponsibility, growth of government, erosion of civil liberties and endless wars. he was a curmudgeon, but i liked and agreed with a lot of what he said.

i have not watched him since he left but when i see pictures of him now he looks like his makeup is done by a mortician.

FrontRunner likes this.
  13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

@B@ffled looking for new propaganda outlets.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Even if Dobbs could go to OAN or Newsmax I’m not sure they would take him. Both are realing from Dominion based lawsuits and taking Dobbs sound give more ammo to the plaintiffs.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If Dobbs had just stayed as a business oriented fiscal conservative he probably would still be respected but when Obama got elected he went all in on xenophobia.

real_egal, ROXTXIA and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. No Worries

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't get it.....

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yep. Reminds me of that restroom scene, the Dukes in "Trading Places".

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Fox News watchers will rationalize this as it wasn't Fox News that cancelled him but liberals complaining and suing Fox News that forced them into it.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. No Worries

I'm surprised that Sean Hannity did not suffer the same fate.