1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On The Border Guacamole Salsa (Medium)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I saw that commercial with Martha Stewart and Snoop Dogg talking about Guacamole Salsa dip (or whatever). So, I was at the store looking for some Super Bowl dips. I picked up a jar of On The Border Guacamole Salsa thinking that was it.

I don't get it. It doesn't taste anything like Guacamole or Salsa. It is a bit spicy. I just don't understand the flavor profile at all. My tongue is telling me this stuff sucks.

So, after trying it, I looked up the commercial. It appears the commercial is for the Tostito brand of a similar dip. Now, I'm not sure if it tastes like the On The Border stuff or not. I may have to try to pick up their brand.

I honestly don't get it (the dip) and don't understand how it got past the tasting committee. I mean...f*ck! I could make a better version in my sleep! I should have just done that. Geez.

I still have no idea what it tastes like. It's weird sh_t. I guess I'll continue to be dumbfounded but I think I'll stick with regular queso for the Super Bowl...assuming On The Border didn't f*ck that up, too (cause I got a jar of that as well).

Man oh man. Maybe I should add some of my own flavors to it? It couldn't get any worse imo. lol

#1 Surfguy, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  2. RedRacer

RedRacer Contributing Member

I just get the cheap $0.95 Salsa at the poor man's Trader Joe's (Aldi) [​IMG]

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is it made in New York City?

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I like Guacamole salsa. I get the one by Herdez quite often.

Victorious likes this.
  5. TimDuncanDonaut

CCity Zero, Os Trigonum and Ottomaton like this.
  6. Surfguy

I guess I could be in the minority here. I love Guacamole and Salsa separately. I've even combined the two when I made them. But, this is just weird to me and my taste buds aren't taking kindly to it. I'll give it one thing. It's green. I expected it to taste like Guacamole a bit because of that but it just doesn't.

I guess everyone has their own cup of tea. I'm sure the Herdez is different than this but I may give it a shot to see if I'm crazy...or you are? ;)

#6 Surfguy, Feb 5, 2021
  7. Surfguy

It's made in Dallas. Figures. ;)

I could be doing it wrong. It seems to recommend heating it up and I ate it cold from the refrigerator. I'll have to give it another shot I guess.

Edit: So, I heated a little of it up in the microwave and tried it again. It's a little better warm but not much. It's still like an acidic, slightly spicy, and sour concoction of nothing resembling guacamole or salsa. I'm not crazy. It is edible, though. I'll give it that. It's tolerable at a very low level.

#7 Surfguy, Feb 5, 2021
  8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The Herdez one isn't as bad as the jarred ones placed directly next to the tortilla chips, but these are all just kind of slimy to me.

bobloblaw likes this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

I'm not a culinary expert. Does cocaine make salsa better?

No Worries and snowconeman22 like this.
  10. Surfguy

If you like numb mouth, then yes...yes it does. And, who doesn’t like numb mouth?

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  11. CCorn

CCorn Member

I have that Tostitos one in my fridge. It looks like the green gelatin salad they had by the checkout at Lubys.

Tasted like wolf p***y.

12. Surfguy

Similar to what Snoop Dogg is tasting when he eats Martha Stewart’s snatch while smoking a blunt?

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Is it anything like the green sauce at Ninfa's?

14. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Any recipes to use up Herdez guac salsa? Was dumb and got a 3 pack at Costco since it was on sale, but doesn't seem to make a good dip with tortilla chips, too watery.

15. Buck Turgidson

No idea, but just in case you're getting nostalgic:

[​IMG]

If you can't get green tomatoes just use extra tomatillos. I sub serranos for jalapenos and mexican crema for sour cream (I add it a bit at a time until I get the consistency I want). You can roast the veggies instead of boiling for a little different flavor.

#15 Buck Turgidson, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Smash avocados in a bowl -- pour salsa in the bowl and mix.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They started in Dallas and their headquarters are there, so ... yeah. :D

I've tried some guacamole salsas before, but ... eh. I don't know. Oddly enough, I bought some On the Border hot salsa today with my Walmart pickup order. :D

18. Surfguy

Can I have a milkshake or something?

[​IMG]

Guacamole and Salsa has kind of grown on me but I still don’t know what it tastes like. If the unopened On The Border jalapeño and cheese dip tastes like I don’t expect it to, then you can rest assure I will be back with my complaint tomorrow!

Dips are a strange thing when made to cater to psycho taste buds. ;)

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The most irritating thing about avocado salsa is the way Martha Stewart says "avocado" on those commercials. lol.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Central market salsa!