1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Christian Wood playing at a superstar level before injury?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 5, 2021.

?

Before injury, would you say Christian Wood was playing at a superstar level?

1. Yes

57 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. No

130 vote(s)
    69.5%
  1. dmoneybangbang

All Star is being a homer, being defendable but superstar is something else. He has the potential to be a superstar but consistency is the next phase.

2. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I’d say more like MIP, rising star, All-Star level.

I’ve been incredibly pleased with him, like I think most have. This is his breakout year.

Emtenndo, cmoak1982 and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Hes our franchise player.

snowconeman22 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

This is true....I hope our franchise player can turn into a superstar.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He’s on a tier below those guys, sure.

Still an all-star in my book, and with the growth he’s shown already this year — I’m not betting against him having another level to him.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He’s obviously not a superstar but can become one.

T for 3 and harold bingo like this.
  7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

No, but he wasn’t being utilized as a superstar. His advanced stats like TS% are incredible.

D-rock likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wood was playing great ball -- he wasn't at superstar level obviously, but he was heading in that direction -- hopefully he will be able to return to the same level this season.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

What Durv is doing is tantamount to an insurrection against our own player by using a word, touch phrase, verbiage to appeal and incite your inner fanboys.

I'm ashamed of you durv, you behaved despicably just to feed your agenda.

And CF helped him, hope you are PROUD boys.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

This seems like getting hung up on semantics. He was playing like one of the top 20ish players in the league. Idk if that means he was at a superstar level but it's really good.

Is Zion a superstar? If he is then Wood was playing at a superstar level.

Emtenndo, hakeem94, durvasa and 3 others like this.
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Saying Wood will get to super star level if we just force feed him touches is like saying Klay Thompson will be an MVP if he got to handle the ball more

D-Rock does not understand that catching a lob or shoot an open 3 is a lot easier to do than having to create your own shot and make plays on your own.

12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

D,
    He's playing amazingly well and I think we're just seeing the tip of the ice berg. However, in my mind to be classified as a "super star" you have to attain a certain level and maintain it for more than 30-40 games. There have been a few players that have looked fantastic for stretches only to flame out. I don't believe CWood will flame out.

As I mentioned in another thread ankle sprains are something I know about from experience. It's a hazard of this game in particular. He has such long strides, that he is susceptible to stepping on other players shoes or landing wrong. He may have to learn to shorten his strides when he gets into traffic or drive less.

I'd also love to see him work with Dream on his foot work and post moves. With his touch and some Dream work, he'll be unstoppable.

hakeem94 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Superstar is durv's trigger word.

Do not get hung up on it.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Don't be so dishonest. You argued that 20+ ppg, 10+ rpg, and 55 FG% makes Wood a superstar-level player, and argued that I was "contrarian" for saying that those numbers don't satisfy my personal criteria for what a superstar would be.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/christian-woods-injury.310289/page-16#post-13413562

This was after I wrote that Wood is not a superstar player yet but I would consider him to be a fringe all-star level player, and you then argued that he should be considered a superstar because he's on the same level as Giannis, Embiid, and Jokic:

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/christian-woods-injury.310289/page-14#post-13413476

Now you are trying to guilt fans on this board for not showing enough support for Wood, as if that has anything to do with the poll question or how one should respond to it.

Why don't you stick to your guns? Everyone on here who doesn't agree with your criteria for what makes a player a superstar is just being contrarian.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

So you are saying 20 pts, 10 rbs and 50% FG is happenstance?

Dumb luck?

Commonplace?

Then why is ESPN and the media making a big deal and using those stats to group Wood with Embiid, Jokic, Giannis, Sabonis?

None of these 4 elite players are 80% at the rim AND 42% from 3P.

Not Giannis, not Jokic, not Sabonis.

Let that sink in.

But if catching lobs, shooting 3's and finishing in transition is so easy why aren't all the bigs doing it?

You all were fooled on shatting on OUR own guy.

Its disheartening and disappointing how easily durv manipulated this result.

#36 D-rock, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  17. vator

vator Contributing Member

I voted no to superstar, but D-Rock does have a point.

D-rock likes this.
  18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

How about we just say he was playing at star level and call it even?

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Superstar level as in same production based on traditional metrics.

Do you deny any of this?

YOU are the contortionist and the coward who needed to hide behind a poll instead of arguing your merits.

You are completely dishonest and took glee in Kobayashii Maru-ing your ass out of a debate you were clearly losing.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Would you not agree that to be a "superstar" a player needs to establish a high level of play over way more games than what Christian Wood has shown thus far? We should all be excited for what Wood has shown so far and hope to heaven that he fully recovers from the ankle injury. But showing great potential is not enough to be a superstar.

People can differ on what superstar means, but I question the basketball intelligence of anyone who puts Zion on the same level as Giannis, Embiid, and Jokic at this stage of his career. The same goes for Wood.

dmoneybangbang likes this.