1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does everyone think Biden's100 day agenda should be?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by astros123, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so you're saying what about Trump?

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm saying hypocrisy of concern and partisan hack. ;)

More on Sweden

Just pretend that YT video is an obscure libertarian blog, it's a legitimately good channel and good listen

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

does Biden have a first-hundred-days Sweden policy? not sure I get the connection

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The connection is our past conversations on Sweden and lock downs, not this thread. I'm blatantly and shamelessly derailing the thread.

jiggyfly and Os Trigonum like this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't want to derail this thread, but was someone holding up Sweden as an example of what SHOULD be done in response to the Pandemic? Seriously? Their response was less successful than their neighbors and much of the rest of the world. If you link the thread, I won't derail this one any longer.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad to see Biden at least attempting bipartisanship and both him and Republicans behaving like adults. I also am glad he is open to means testing especially on direct payments. For me personally I have no need of $2,000 from the government and if I do get any money will donate it like I did the first CARES Act.

For me I would much rather see more targeted aid than just sending checks out to everyone.

ROCKSS likes this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

8. Buck Turgidson

I need to know what reason.com/althouse/turley say before I can tell you what I think.

mdrowe00, jiggyfly and No Worries like this.
  9. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

agree but I think means testing should be done when people file their 2021 taxes; not based on 2019 returns

Amiga likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

it’s all for being respectful (you know, being normal looks abnormal after the last 4 years)

but I doubt his admin is going to waste time outside of showing respect

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

And I haven't seen the morning news report a 3AM rage tweet. Sleepy Joe, sleeping when he could be using that time nursing grievances...

jiggyfly and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Did you mean "2020" returns instead of "2019"? I would base it on the 2020 return. I think if you showed you made money this past year that should be the standard of means testing. 2021 returns won't be filed until 2022. Hopefully by then we'll be out of this.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Biden and Senate Democrats have already signaled they will use reconciliation if they can't come to terms with Senate Republicans but form does matter. Biden is holding a much stronger hand and Senate Republicans know that. He behaving like an adult and not looking to belittle or insult them might make some of them more amenable to work with him.

Yes this didn't work previously during the Obama Admin. but given what has happened not just the last four years but the last month might convince at least a few Republicans that doing nothing but resistance isn't a good path.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I would just send checks out to everyone as a "loan". I wait until 2021 or even 2022 tax return (yes in 2022 or 2023) to recover the loan (as taxes) for those making certain amount in 2020 and 2021. Loan is forgiven for everyone else. The impact of covid is immediate for many (so 2018 or 2019 tax return, which is what was used in the 2nd covid bill, doesn't make sense) and long term for some (so wait until 2022 tax filing date). Politic wise, I would push it to 2023 tax filing date.

EDIT: 2018 or 2019 (not 2019 or 2020)

#134 Amiga, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm curious how doing the $2,000 checks as a loan would work? Would you get charged an extra $2K on your 2021 tax return if your income exceeded a cutoff? That seems like that would be problematic.

My understanding is that the checks would count as taxable income so you would pay a tax but to me it seems like it would be easier to just not give checks to everyone where as it will be much more complicated to deal with it a year from now.

Understand there is a big need right now but not everyone has that need. if the hold up is means testing and it means that more money could be directed to those who truly need it that seems like a no brainer to me.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes, that's one "easy" way to do it. You could also setup a special loan repayment schedule with interest after a certain date (PPP like). And as with any loan, if you want to pay back earlier because you don't need it, you can. The cut off should be a soft knee slope, as it was for the 2nd covid bill.

17. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

No I meant 2021 since the checks will go out this year. I think they should have done the same last year too but that has passed. Just send everyone a damn check then take it back from those making plenty in 2020 and 2021 on their taxes for that year (basically an interest free loan for those that were fine during the pandemic and straight cash for those that aren’t)

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have a charity you can donate it too.:D

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Instead of Lifting Trump's Tariffs, Biden Is Imposing More of Them

https://reason.com/2021/02/08/instead-of-lifting-trumps-tariffs-biden-is-imposing-more-of-them/

excerpt:

President Joe Biden's first major trade policy move will be disappointing for anyone who hoped his inauguration would put an end to the presidential practice of unilaterally imposing expensive, unnecessary tariffs for vacuous national security reasons.

Biden's decision last week to reimpose 10 percent tariffs on aluminum imports from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) contains all the major hallmarks of former President Donald Trump's misguided trade policies. Biden even sounded downright Trumpian as he announced the renewed tariffs—which Trump had lifted during his final days in office. "The available evidence indicates that imports from the UAE may still displace domestic production, and thereby threaten to impair our national security," says Biden's executive order announcing the policy.

The idea that aluminum imports are a threat to national security was a bunch of nonsense when Trump did it, and it's still bunk when Biden says it. It was, and is, nothing more than a cheap excuse for a trade barrier that ultimately inflates costs for businesses that buy and consume aluminum. Since 97 percent of American jobs in the aluminum industry are downstream of production, these tariffs create far more losers than winners.
    more at the link

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I bet I know what it benefits...

jiggyfly likes this.