1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Puppy Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ThrillaNManilla, Feb 4, 2021.

1. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

Hey guys. I first went to YouTube than the Vet for advice, but than I knew better. CF has the best advice. I just adopted a three month old puppy. She was abandoned in a box at a park in a bad area of Colombia. She is three months old, and she is tiny. She weighs three kilos, but ironically the vet thinks she has German Shepard and Pitbull genes. Go figure. I have two questions for you guys:

1: She is in the biting phase. We are talking arms, legs, and she will even go for the face when she feels confident. What are some suggestions to help her not bite people?

2: As she was a streetdog, she is not "potty-trained." In a day I have probably gone through a litro of bleach to clean up her messes. She doesn't know (yet) how to walk on a leash and the vet told me to wait two weeks from today to take her around town because of the vaccines she just got, and to build her immune system. . My question is how do you train a dog to not do their business in the house?

V/r,

Thomas

TWS1986 likes this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

1. toys and when she bites you, tell her no sternly and every once and a while tap her nose if shes persistent.

2. take her out in a yard on a schedule and give her a treat when she goes potty- pats on the head, food, "good boy", etc.. Tell her no sternly when she goes in the house.

For free room and board in Colombia, Id be more than happy to train her for you.

CCity Zero and Xerobull like this.
  3. SuraGotMadHops

We got a quarantine puppy so I've recently dealt with both issues, it's takes some time but here's what worked for us.

1) Technically this is considered "mouthing," which is a playful bite vs a vicious one. When she did that I would gently press down on her tongue and she would stop right away. She would do it again and I would repeat. After a 2-3 weeks she stopped completely.

2) We used the "one hour rule" with a crate. This is tedious but it works. In the morning after she slept in her crate all night, we would take her out. If she did any business outside we would reward with a treat and she gets one hour of playtime and roaming about the house. After that she goes back in the crate for one hour, then we take her out again and repeat the process. If she does not do anything outside when we take her out, then she goes right back in the crate, and we start the process over after one hour. Using his method she was mostly trained in about 3 days. After that, we still had to pay attention to her behavior and her "tells" for when she needed to go out, and she did have the occasional accident, but with consistent discipline after her accidents she became better at communicating her needs to us.

Also, when using the crate, make sure it is not too big. Dogs naturally try not to pee or poop where they sleep, so as long as its small enough that should avoid any accidents in the crate.

Xerobull likes this.
  4. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Both Shepherds and Pitbulls can be out-of-this-world nightmares if they aren't properly trained. My advice would be to google Cesar Milan videos for starters, you'll learn a lot. But get professional training (it's much more for you than the dog). Really, it will be worth it in the long run. And always be kind to your puppy; you'll get back what you put in.

BamBam and Xerobull like this.
  5. ThrillaNManilla

Thank you for the advice! I am in Medellin, so anytime you want to come here just let me know! I can provide you a place to sleep!

6. ThrillaNManilla

This is really great advice that I have not heard or read about before! Thank you so much.

TWS1986 likes this.
  7. ThrillaNManilla

South Park jokes aside, Cesar is the man! Yes. I believe in positive reinforcement and not training negatively, such as with any sort of pain or discomfort. She is already a handful, so I may need to take her to doggy boot-camp! She can experience my time in the military! jaja. Thank you, hermano.

TWS1986 and FrontRunner like this.
  8. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

No problem, amigo. Caring enough to seek out help puts you ahead of most people. Enjoy your new friend!

BamBam and TWS1986 like this.
  9. ThrillaNManilla

Muchas Gracias. You now always have a place to stay in Colombia. Salud.

FrontRunner and TWS1986 like this.
  10. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Best of luck with the puppy! :)

ThrillaNManilla and FrontRunner like this.
  11. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I don't have any advice for you but bless you for taking on a dog that needs a home like that. Too many people would just ignore it and let it die a miserable death.

ThrillaNManilla and FrontRunner like this.
  12. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Awesome. I'll bring some bleach!

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Be sure to use a catchphrase when you take the pup out to do her business. You should have one like “go do it!”. Then, use it often and heap praise when she does do it. You want the words to associate with doing her business. I used crate training when training my puppies because they don’t usually want to soil their small living quarters. But, that usually involves keeping them crated when you leave for errands or whatever. Or, if you have them sleep in the crate. I couldn't imagine giving a puppy free reign so I hope you are using a crate. It's basically their home inside your home. Puppies need a time out and a crate is a good place for them to take one while napping. I had two pups and started them in the same crate. Then, I had to buy another crate as they got bigger. Then, they were in two crates side-by-side. It was pretty adorable.

#13 Surfguy, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  14. ThrillaNManilla

When I lived in the EEUU, I used a crate for my dog. I did not raise her from when she was a pup, and I have no experience with raising a lil' bebe. I have become accustomed to how dogs are raised in Latin America, and crates are never used. I don't even think I could buy a crate here. Luckily, we don't have carpet anywhere; it is all tile floors. I am thinking to get some pee pads or in true Colombian style, as the vet suggested, some newspaper for their business. It is honestly so interesting the contrast between how different cultures raise their animals. My roommate's dog has free reign of the house while he is gone, and there is almost no issues. I just need to teach her that doing her business inside is not okay unless she absolutely has to. I work from home, but sometimes I have a life and go to the gym, or I take my fiancé out for some chorizo. ;). So, it is not like she will be alone for more than a few hours or minutes if someone takes it that direction. I think your idea is good, but I would literally have to order a crate from the USA. Thank you for your advice. Salud, Amigo.

Edit: the catchphrase it a great idea that I will use. I will make sure it is like winning the championship every time she does her business. It will now always be like the Mario E. kiss of death three pointer.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

When my pups (they were Ridgebacks) were a little older, I fenced them in the kitchen. They proceeded to chew on the lower wood cabinets. The pee pads I put out...they used and then destroyed. I guess it wasn't too bad. They also gnawed the bark off the lower trunks of the trees in the backyard. I had to put up chicken wire. lol. But, it didn't take long to where I could leave them alone without the crate. But, they liked having their crates. Like I said, it's their little home they can retreat to as a safe haven. My parents yellow lab, which I now own, used to go in there to sleep on her own.

The thing about letting pups just run around is they get into mischief. You got to watch them to make sure they aren't up to no good. I know one of mine chewed up a plugged in lamp cord once. They can be like unruly children or even worse. But, I'm sure there are plenty in the US that raise pups without a crate so I wouldn't say it's necessarily a culture thing. It can be a smart thing, however. A growing dog can do a lot of damage in a few hours when unsupervised. But, obviously, not all dogs. That teething period, though. That can be a dangerous period for your material possessions.

FrontRunner likes this.
  16. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Get your puppy on a feeding schedule. It makes it easier to predict when they need to go out to relieve themselves. Don't always leave food lying around for them to consume. If they have access to food all the time, then the frequency they **** goes up too. This isn't typically a problem if your dog is potty trained and also not the type to eat excessively but for now get her on a food schedule which will make it easier to predict her poop schedule. Likewise for water although you want your puppy to be adequately hydrated of course.

I agree with positive reinforcement when your dog does the desired behavior you want it to. So give her a treat when she does go potty outside and make it seem like it's the greatest thing in the world that she took a **** outside.

FrontRunner likes this.
  17. CCorn

CCorn Member

1. What’s a kilo.

2. what’s a litro

Anyways you have to show a dog where to do their business and give them positive reinforcement. That dog will likely eat your entire house for the next 1.5 years... but after that you will have the best security system in the world.

FrontRunner likes this.