1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we a contender?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

we’ve been beating up on scrubs...Rockets have yet to have an impressive win

RHU525, napalm06, ksny15 and 3 others like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Need to re-weaponize Wood.

John Wall needs to increase his 2.4 assist average to Wood starting tonight.

Boston84 likes this.
  3. caneks

caneks Rookie

meaning you did not watch enough NBA games.

Reeko and DatRocketFan like this.
  4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Casuals lol. Any team that believes in teamwork and power of friendship, has no superstar, to them resembles the 2004 piston Champs.

Guess that's y they r casual if they think that when looking at this team.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s so crazy that we’re seeing talk of contention and getting mentions of the 04 Pistons because of a short win streak against scrub teams...these will be the same people losing their minds hating everyone on the team and trashing the coaching staff when reality hits

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. Landry's Tooth

I'm not sure i follow your point... i go back to about 87 watching them and the league...

I understand you're implying i don't know what I'm looking at but you didn't specify how i was wrong which makes me wonder if i should take you seriously...

7. Landry's Tooth

The point wasn't that they were as good as those Pistons teams. The point is the team has a similar structure of talent so the possibility is there...

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Similar structure of talent?

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. Landry's Tooth

I think there's a tendency by young people to focus on stats that show up in fantasy basketball. This team's question marks are mostly health related... it's hard to recognize defensive performance...

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Who here is talking about any stats? A win streak against absolute scrub teams has people talking about contention and being the Larry Brown Pistons...

11. Landry's Tooth

Both had dominant defensive backcourt. Prince was great but similar to Ariza... Tate/House might be that good. Wallace was a dominant defensive undersized big... better than Tucker in the post but PJ can guard more on switches... pj being a borderline all defensive player and undersized big is like a lesser ben wallace... rasheed and wood aren't far off...

Honestly i don't think you even thought about anything before commenting...

Reminds me of the Pistons doesn't mean better than the Pistons. I think you're making assumptions in your head about things never said.

12. Landry's Tooth

I was thinking about a #1 defensive ranking over 10 games, not the winning streak against teams they are supposed to beat if they are good. You're implying they are one of those scrub teams so it's inconsistent for you to dismiss the wins...

DCkid likes this.
  13. st012m

st012m Member

ouch--you mentioned hammy -__-

14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Not a single player on our team can change the game defensively like Ben Wallace, so not seeing the similar talent. Wood isn't even as good as Rasheed Wallace who's one of the most underrated players because of his attitude. They also had size and length to contend against anyone. Rockets have no sf taller than 6'5"

That Piston team had players with defined roles and they were really good at their roles. Our team doesn't fit. We need a Rip Hamilton type player to play with our ball dominant guards. Instead we have two ball dominant guards who are average shooters at best.

I really dislike Oladipo. He's soo overrated. Please trade him for something.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

oh Lord...you’re sipping the kool aid hard off some win streak against scrub teams

You’re really trying to say that Tate and House could be on the level of Tayshaun Prince, and u claim that I’m the one who isn’t thinking? Prince made All-Defense 4 times. Talk to me when Tate or House make it even once...

Ben Wallace was a 4x DPOY, and you’re talking about PJ Tucker...lmao...yeah, he’s a much lesser Ben Wallace...as in, they don’t even compare

Sheed and Wood aren’t far off offensively if u just look at the boxscore even tho Sheed had a postgame that Wood doesn’t have, but defensively, it’s not even a contest between the 2...I bet if u Wood went against prime Sheed right now, he’d get destroyed

they are the off-brand 99c store version of the Pistons

16. Landry's Tooth

I think we're just going to disagree. Nothing wrong with that. Oladipo was a top 10 guard 2 years ago... Rip Hamilton might have been at some point... that Pistons team had 1 allstar. This team will likely too. The Pistons had Ben Wallace and good but not great players around him.

You're not going to convince me Hamilton and Billups are dramatically better than Wall or Oladipo... i think they are comparable... if Wood is 23/11/1.5 I think he might be better offensively than rasheed... rasheed better defender...might even out..

No need to get so offended by opinions...

17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I never said at any point that Wall and Oladipo were worse than Billups and Hamilton. All I said was the Pistons back court fit better and played off each other. While the Rockets backcourt is out there still taking turns doing the same thing. Sometimes it's not about talent, but also about how the puzzle fits together. Like Wade and Lebron are better players than KD and Steph but KD and Steph fit soo much better as a duo.

Also in 2004 Rasheed, Ben, Rip and Chauncey were all all stars.

18. Landry's Tooth

I'm going to have to ask you to cite where i made a claim the rockets team this year was as good or better than the Pistons teams...

Go ahead... you seem to be attacking points no one made. When i say tate/house COULD be on par with Prince you seem to believe those words mean are better....

Read more closely and save yourself some embarrassment. You talk about kool aide and you're the one imagining things...

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

We are a contender for the playoffs.

20. Landry's Tooth

What did Billups and Hamilton accomplish in their first 8 games together?

Ben Wallace was their only allstar when they won in 2004. You might want to check things before you claim them...