1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mortgage - refinancing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My current rate is 4.25%. Seems like I could get 3.5% now. My loan started in mid-2018. 30 year fixed.

Is there any reason why one shouldn't refinance when rates are lower? I'd save about $100/mo which would go a long way for me.

Any and all advice with regards to refinancing would be welcome.

Fwiw, we don't plan to move any time soon and would only leave the house if one of two things happen:

1) we go broke and can't afford it, and have to move in with @Jontro
    2) we got rich and want to upgrade so we can flaunt on Insta.

Otherwise we are staying put for a minimum of 20 years. Got young kids and want to keep them in that area for the duration their K-12 school careers, at which point the Mrs and I will kick them out of the house and buy a shack in Hawaii.

Jontro likes this.
  2. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Have you done the calculations to see how much the additional closing costs would be, financed at your new rate over the life of the loan?

You'd be saving 100 per month, but if you add in closing costs and another couple of years of financing, do you save in the long run?

ima_drummer2k and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Just that there are some transaction fees to be paid to do the title, lending fees, appraisal, credit report, etc. If you save $100/month on payments, you'll probably come out ahead in a year or two.

adoo and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'd welcome you with open arms breh. we can talk all day about movies and I'll even show you some of mine and talk about our favorite positions

B-Bob and ThatBoyNick like this.
  5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

You can probably lower your payment without adding years to your loan even with the added refinance fee. See what a 28 yr mortgage at that rate would cost.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I would wait for another drop. I can see another .25% soon.

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Closing costs will be around 3-5% of current principal balance. You'll breakeven in a few years but you might need to come up with the cash right away unless the fees are baked back into your new loan. Another roundabout method to effectively lower your interest rate is to pay more toward your monthly payment each month.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I know there's a joke in there somewhere.

9. Buck Turgidson

Do you have a relationship with a local bank and officer, or are you dealing with a conglomerate of nameless drones?

10. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

I'm looking at refinancing too. Anyone have experience doing an FHA Streamlined refinance? Bought my house almost 3 years ago with a 4.87% interest rate. Seeing rates advertised at 2.50 with excellent credit. Just looking for a lender with very small closing costs, if any.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This thread is exactly a year old. I forgot I had even made it.

I ended up not doing anything until about month ago, when I refinanced to a 20 year at 2.5%. Went through Costco.

No Worries and CCity Zero like this.
  12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Check out better.com
    Just used them for a 30 fixed refi at 2.625 and close on Saturday. All online and the title agent comes to your house for closing.

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

I was similar to OP. Just signed the papers last week. Was at 4.25 on a 30 year that I was 6 years into. Got down to 2.35 on a 15 year. Paying around 120 extra a month now, but it is more than worth it to shave off 10 years(and all that equity if we sell in 10). If anyone needs a person you can dm. He was very professional and answered all my dumb questions. Based in Houston also, and sadly no, I don’t get any kick backs.

DFWRocket likes this.
  14. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

How long did their entire process take from start to finish? What did the closing costs look like?

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Do an estimate on their site to see.

16. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

Every single person should be refinancing their house if they haven’t in the past year, it’s a no brainer and you are just throwing away money if you don’t.

You can get a no closing cost/no fees rate so you don’t have any up front costs.

I would recommend doing a 30 yr for most and just paying more per month if you want to pay off faster. It gives you flexibility in case life happens in the future.

Dont be lazy and refinance if you haven’t already.

pugsly8422 likes this.
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think, depending on what you owe, if the spread is more than 1 btw your old and what you can get now it's worth it, otherwise it gets washed away with costs or you're just saving a few hundred dollars over 30 years, like not even worth the hassle (for me personally)

Also, you can go to a shorter term to move up your payoff date, if you're into that kind of thing. I'm not but some people like that feeling.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That's where I am on it. We got a great rate when we bought our home last April. Rates have gone down, but I doubt we'd see a spread of 1...and with closing costs, just don't see it being worth it. I actually just sent an email to a loan officer about that earlier this morning.

SamFisher likes this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Same boat as you. got my home in 16 at 3.5. I doubt i save a $1 after closing costs.

MadMax likes this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And also the difference in interest that one can deduct on their taxes should be factored in.

B-Bob likes this.