1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What happens with Oladipo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCHAMP, Jan 17, 2021.

?

What happens with Oladipo?

Poll closed Jan 22, 2021.
  1. Traded at the deadline

59.1%
  2. Walks in FA for cap room

21.5%
  3. Extended to a long term contract

19.4%
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Dipo and culture is funny to hear considering his well reported team issues with Pacers.

Only in Houston I guess.

jiggyfly, gmoney411 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not a fan of Dennis Smith.

Maybe move him back to Mavs for James Johnson.

3. mdinc14

mdinc14 Member

you aren’t doing it for the players. You’re doing it for the picks. We do need a backup PG and it gives a couple rolls of the dice on him and frank even if they are going to likely be busts.

but if there’s teams out there that value him or frank or Kevin by all means re-route them.

4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Ugh, I hope we don’t make any more trades where draft capital is the primary concern. We have enough.

Either upgrade, get younger, or stay put.

Corrosion likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I do it for all different reasons and all sorts of ways.

But circling back to the point, Rockets can do any trade to get both - preferred players AND picks.

This is not an all or nothing proposition.

Expand the trade and move a 3rd PG to another team for an asset that actually fits the team's needs.

Smith is not a 2 wayplayer/poor defender/mediocre 3ball shooter so he would be a bad fit.

Ntilikina is not a great overall 3ball shooter but he is very good from the corner. And his defense and size fit team.

It was simply a tweak to your trade proposal, it was not a personal attack.

6. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Go crazy

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. mdinc14

mdinc14 Member

not taken personally - no worries.

the trade opens up time for mason jones and kpj. I don’t think the guys coming back have value around the league it was more for the picks.

if the rockets can route those guys and get back value, more power to them.

D-rock likes this.
  8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

It will be interesting to see where the Blazers and Heat are around the deadline. If Blazers are out of the playoffs and Miami is comfortably in I'd be open to getting a 21 pick.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I want to know who/what Cousins is yelling about

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Olaselfish

D-rock and DLT like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

his value has got to be pretty low

How many teams are giving up some major quality for a free agent to be who wants big money? People really think Riley would view Dipo as the missing piece and actually give up Herro?

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

He has gotten very ballhogish and looks like he’s playing for his contract rather than for the team. This is something I’ve noticed during our run..but it was easier to overlook then because he was making his shots and we were winning. His defense is still solis though.

D-rock, DLT, PatBev and 1 other person like this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

None and no. A low FRP for him at best is his value.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The Knicks.

D-rock likes this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

get this fk’n scrub off my team stone

16. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

All he sees is $$$. I don’t personally think he has much investment in this team but he’ll say the right things to the media.

17. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

He is as motivated as possible to put up good numbers for his contract year. This is probably the last big dollar contract he sees.

I know it's only been a few games, but I am very conflicted about what to do. I think if he'd be willing to sign for what he rejected in Indianapolis (~20-25M/yr) then maybe you extend him, but my gut tells me he wants more and will get more, in which case you have to trade him at the deadline.

18. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

ASSET

D-rock and DLT like this.
  19. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I got bashed for merely suggesting that everyone should pump the brakes 20 games into the season with a max 40 win team that is going nowhere. Our core and salary core of Dipo, Wall, Tucker, Gordon, and Exum will not be here. Wood (8 shots) and the young guys are worth building on and should be beasting out. We can do nothing with Wall but he will distribute the ball. If we are left all season with Gordon and Dipo they are going to take half the shots and all of the minutes that our young guys need to develop. The things we need to do aren't pretty but it is what helps you build for the future. If everyone loves this current team just wait and tell me that after next year. A month from now no one is going to be on here bragging about our #1 D anymore. We will win games against bad teams but you blow out a team one night and then that team blows you out the other night resting their star too. This is the NBA slog. Don't confuse gold for a piece of pyrite, we ain't it and aren't going to be without MAJOR change.

pippendagimp likes this.
  20. vator

vator Contributing Member

More like what happened to Oladipo?

He doesn’t finish at basket through contact and is clearly not good at pulling up off the dribble for 3 pointers even though he likes to shoot them. He needs to shoot less of those and take more catch and shoot threes if he’s going to shoot them.

D-rock and ak99999 like this.