1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oladipo..............Not seeing it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jiggyfly, Jan 27, 2021.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oladipo looks like someone and I can't figure out who. Maybe a mix of Kobe and Capella. Hmmmm, I can't think of who it is, and it's bugging me.

Bo6 and conquistador#11 like this.
  2. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I'm really conflicted on Oladipo. He has had bad moments and good ones. He is starting to more consistently have good ones, and he has some real strengths in his game, especially on defense where he's a stout defender. On offense his three is not bad at all, he is not scared of late game shots, and he can maneuver decently in the lane.

That said, his first step isn't terribly quick and he's quite clearly in the "very good player" category but will never be the lead on a championship team. He reportedly turned down a 112 million extension offer by the Pacers, and judging by last years free agency, someone will pay him 140 million. I am not sure that someone should be us.

As we get closer to the deadline, this will be interesting to watch. Part of it is does he even want to be here long term. But the other part is whether he's worth it at the price he's going to demand.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

You still yapping.

4. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I like the team we have now a lot, but at the end of the day, no player on this team can be the best player on a championship winning team. Best case scenario you need a Dirk and the perfect group of role players, or a Kawhi in Tor situation. That type of team may win once a decade, against the super teams. This should be the goal at a minimum, to have at least one legitimate super star player.

D-rock, jiggyfly and HorryForThree like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You still lying?

6. verysimplejason

He's not worth the max but he's good enough to be a 3rd fiddle.

7. verysimplejason

You forgot to add a super defensive team like Detroit with the Wallaces. Anyway, it seems that it won't happen again as almost nobody is fond of defense nowadays.

D-rock likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

U still yapping

9. Raven

Raven Member

I doubt the Rockets can get much for Dipo, so they'll probably keep him, but the last thing they should do is max or even near max him in the offseason. Don't overpay anyone unless they are healthy stars even if that means losing him for nothing.

dmoneybangbang and jiggyfly like this.
  10. s3ts

s3ts Member

He's real rusty, still obviously coming back from injury.

He has time on this team, we have athleticism to go around.

11. dmoneybangbang

I agree in general, and I'd rather get something than lose him for nothing. Dipo aint getting any younger so I don't see why he wouldn't maximize his contract.

12. dmoneybangbang

Which usually leads to overpays. He would have been nice (not perfect) to pair with Harden. In an alternate universe..... Harden/Dipo/Woods

verysimplejason likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Oladipo probably isn't worth the max. But he's a better and younger version of Eric Gordon. I'd gladly give EG's contract to him. Too bad we can't trade with ourselves.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  14. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I kind of consider that a different era in my mind, I think the Mavs, as much as I hate to admit it, were the first to really take down a modern era super team. Toronto was able to do it with some injury luck going their way. Either way I think the goal should be two super stars and a borderline young star like C. Wood.

verysimplejason likes this.
  15. epicbeardabe

epicbeardabe Contributing Member

I think anyone expecting a true superstar, like Top Ten player in the league level, are going to be super disappointed. He's not that and I don't think he will ever be that. When he was at his best, he's always looked like at best a #2 but I don't think you would feel good about that either. He's a really good #3. Good defender, has improved his shooting alot since getting in the league, and pretty athletic, though he's lost some post injury. He's looking better with ever rep he gets but I don't think he's even close to what he thinks he's worth. I think the Rockets should pay him, but not max money. That should be reserved for a game changing player

jiggyfly and jcmoon like this.
  16. conquistador#11

If he could get to the line 4 more times and was 4 years younger with no injury history, I'd be looking forward to giving him the max. Funny how 25 points W
    With the defense he plays and at age 24 instead of 28 completely alters perception.
    As it stands, I'm just appreciating the season in general and grateful Fertitta isn't under the spell of some goofy pastor.

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

People are spoiled by Harden who was a max player but would have been paid more if the max salary didn't exist. The "max" ranges depending on experience from $27mil to Steph Curry's $43mil for the current season.

There are 42 guys making $27mil or more this season. Oladipo's $21mil ranks him 52nd. Is he one of the top 52 players in the league? For sure, probably a good deal higher than that.

A list of guys in >$27mil range who have produced less than Oladipo this season: Westbrook, Griffin, Klay (injured), Kemba, Love (injured), KAT (injured), Otto Porter, Steven Adams, Horford, and Batum.

I wouldn't love paying Oladipo a near-max contract for 5 or 6 years, but he's right in the range of players who receive it. A two-way guard who's 28 is going to command a raise from his current salary.

cdxiong, D-rock and conquistador#11 like this.
  18. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree but I hope we are both wrong.

Winning with elite defense + no true superstar has been done, just not often.

Adding a few more rugged iso defenders over 6'7 would be a great start.

cdxiong and BallSoHarden like this.
  20. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member