1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ScheftBomb! Watson formally requests trade

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 28, 2021.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Godsey was an OB guy

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Yeah. What a terrible idea. When you have two <insert singular position/role> it really means you have none.

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

The OL gets better because anyone has to be better than Devlin. The Defense should be better because they were so bad that there is nowhere to go but up for them. Learning how to tackle will immediately improve their grade from F to D minus.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

5. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

He's not even using simping correctly or simps

Lmao

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  6. conquistador#11

To quote Dubya.
    "That's some weird sh**"

Chilly_Pete and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. Newlin

Newlin Member

I heard somewhere that Easterby is not a personnel man. Why is he working the phones?

Nook, donkeypunch and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

First things first: this is the final draft - for now! - in which the Texans will not have their full compliment of picks.

Secondly, they should have an easier schedule. The Texans' '20 schedule was BRUTAL: 10 games v '20 playoff teams. That's rough.

Offensively, the team - with Watson - is pretty good. Their receivers - even without Will Fuller - are average/good (Watson makes them better) and good/very good with Fuller. Their TEs flash potential. The offensive line is full of players most seem to agree have the physical talent but have yet to put it all together. Running back is a wasteland but it's generally the easiest position on offense to fill. Better coaching and small tweaks could very well unlock that side of the ball (especially the OL).

Defensively, there are much bigger questions and far less talent. But it's not *devoid* of talent. They have some young pieces that can be part of the nucleus moving forward. Again, coaching is going to matter - can they maximize some of that talent? With the offense *more* settled, they can expend the majority of their resources on defense.

And! Their defense doesn't have to be a top 5 defense. It just has to be... not awful. If they can be a... top 20 defense, with Watson, I don't think 8+ wins is out of the question.

9. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

If they aren't at least entertaining offers from other teams, they are being negligent.

Oh, wait....

Nook, cmoak1982 and TWS1986 like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

We are so inept that they can’t even screw up the team properly.

SuraGotMadHops and RockFanFirst like this.
  11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Waiting on the Culley/Watson conversation

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Disagree, there's almost 3 months until the draft.

The draft is the key date.

They could make a trade in late April, a week before the draft, and theoretically be fine, assuming their scouts are still properly scouting.

Taking calls now basically says "yeah, this is probably going to end in a trade".

Even if that's 99% true, you want to save the 1% optionality right now. Especially if Culley and any new coaches haven't talked with Watson in depth yet.

RockFanFirst likes this.
  13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Belichek was quoted saying something like that, and I took it to mean that Jack's role in NE was not as a personnel man. There was a Boston media article around the time that Jack left that such a role was his desire, and that Belichek would not let him climb that high, reserving those spots to people who have a background in scouting (which is 100% logical).

Nook likes this.
  14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I don't care if they have a monkey taking calls on Watson as long as the answer is always no.

fchowd0311 and Fulgore like this.
  15. Xopher

Xopher Member

So you're telling me this team is better than the Titans and the Colts. So how do you propose getting these players with no cap space and the loss of draft picks this year? The so you cut the Johnson's and that saves you about 11 million with David's dead money. Still over the cap. Okay get rid of J.J. . That gets you about 12 million under the cap. That's without re-signing Fuller, replacing the 2 RBs you just cut, replacing JJ, signing anyone to the defense...

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Titans and the Colts aren’t that good and honestly the Texans should have won all 4 games against them this year.

Both teams have plenty of question marks on both sides of the field. This division is as sad and up for grabs as it’s always been.

that being said, the question should really be how can they get to the level of the chiefs.

17. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

If that’s the case, then why didn’t Watson tell the public that sources about him wanting to trade from Texans are false and that he wants to stay here? Watson even changed the Twitter picture?

it led me to believe that he want to move on from Texans

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I don’t know about y’all but I’m ready for this bullshit to be over with

whag00, cmoak1982 and Shark44 like this.
  19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I understand this approach and don't think its necessarily wrong. However, other QBs will likely move and those moves may limit or reduce our market for Watson. Creating a feeding frenzy now may be to our advantage. Later down the road, the NYJ, MIA or other options may give way to keeping their picks and going with Wilson, Fields or another QB. Saying we're not trading him is fine, but why not at least listen to offers. Doing that allows Caserio to gauge the market and hard pass if nothing is worth the squeeze.

20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree! I was thinking this today. Hell, the Lions made a pretty damn good deal with a new GM in a matter of days. I hate drama and after going through the Harden mess and then seeing the other side, I'm hoping for something close for the Texans (wishful thinking I know). If DWat wants to go, grab the best deal and let's start looking at the draft and rebuild.

Roc Paint likes this.