1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Last weekend was gonna smoke some ribs and decided at the last second to get a brisket. Second one in a handful of weeks.

I have always cooked and loved making stuff but with no events to go to and social life slowing down been spending a lot of weekends making massive meals.

Saw a post saying the wood combination

For Brisket I'm a big fan of mixing Hickory/Pecan/Post Oak

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I prefer just straight post oak for brisket or beef ribs but with pork ribs I prefer apple

tinman likes this.
  3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

how'd you do them?

4. SuraGotMadHops

Pork butt or ribs I go hickory, brisket and other beef I use mesquite, poultry I use pecan.

basso likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Where are hickory trees in Texas?

tinman likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, you don't cut those though, maybe a dead limb here and there.

Also, when the Southern people say "hickory" they're talking about completely different trees than we have in Central Texas.

And, this is LIVE OAK precautions:

Burn your wood where you cut it, do not travel with it

Clean your chainsaw with bleach between each ranch

ONLY CUT ON OAK TREES WHEN IT IS HOT OR COLD...December to Feb, and June to August

The oak wilt is a VERY serious thing around here, and it only takes a few city jackholes to mess it up for everyone.

Same with the zebra mussels, but there's no stopping the idiot people from spreading them. We tried.

#1887 Buck Turgidson, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    VooDooPope likes this.
  8. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

food p*rn allowed. post pics

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oh yeah, true -- for bbq purposes. I was just saying that's the one I think of because I think it's native to Texas.

About oaks, I thought about planting an oak to replace a sorry bradford pear that split in half during a crazy storm as they're prone to do, but then read about all the issues with oak wilt. That and most of the varieties are way too big for my little suburban yard (but they'll still sell 'em to you). I think when looking for a new tree, I recall reading members of the white oak family like burr oak (?) and Monterrey oaks are the most resistant to oak wilt, but I decided to stay away anyway. The only way I'd ever plant an oak in a yard near my house would be if I lived on acreage. I live in suburbia and a lot of times those roots and size of most oaks is way beyond what a yard can handle.

Oddly enough we have zebra mussels around here, too. Every Spring the out-of-staters start complaining about why there is such a strong chlorine smell in the water, and that's about the time we start talking about zebra mussels. Erin Brockovich even came around the area starting a ruckus about the water, I think. People started complaining the water was burning their skins and causing all kinds of issues. it got wild. :D

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Killens BBQ opened in The Woodlands a few weeks ago. Have not been yet but hoping
    Bradford Pears are the worst. No matter what you do to protect them, they will die within 20 years. Developers really need to quit planting them in new neighborhoods.

Back on topic...looking forward to going to the new Killens BBQ location in The Woodlands this week.

11. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I actually didn't take a picture this time, but here's one from earlier.
    69904606_10219508530372287_4215624466765447168_n.jpg

basso and ico4498 like this.
  12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

If they have them in the Woodlands location, the Pork Belly Burnt Ends are INCREDIBLE!!!

13. SuraGotMadHops

Agreed...best burnt ends I've ever had or will ever have, those simply cannot be topped.

VooDooPope likes this.
  14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Yep I went by to visit my Mom in Pearland on Friday on my way back to Austin.

Stopped by Killens an bought a pound of PB burnt ends. I was going to eat half and save half... They didn't even make it to Katy.

tinman likes this.
  15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just reading that made my mouth water.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So have you tried the Woodlands location?

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

this is not my tattoo, but i really wish it was...
    [​IMG]

the reference for this, for those who arent punks and prefer listening to stabbing westward...

KingCheetah likes this.
  18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

thanks for the heads up! ive driven by but never stopped in.

theres also a trailer called morenos at stassney and manchacca...they just moved into a brick-and-mortar where that subway used to be. havent eaten there yet, but ive heard its really good too.

updawg likes this.
  19. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I haven't. My mom lives in Pearland and I make a stop in at that Killens every time I go see her.

tinman likes this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Things are getting outta hand... I just went through the drive thru at Hutchins BBQ and brisket price was $26/lbs. I almost asked them if I could just pay them $2 to smell it a bit and drive on by. I mean, it's prime brisket, but come on ... lol