1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oladipo..............Not seeing it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jiggyfly, Jan 27, 2021.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Because Miami is trying to win now and they can't trade any firsts until 2025 because they owe their 21 and 23 picks to OKC.

He will be 29 this off-season and I have no faith in him staying healthy into his 30s when he wasn't able to do it in his 20s. I'd take the first round pick all day when the alternative is 80% of our cap to him/Wall/Gordon.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So why did you say he was elite on both sides of the ball.

Gordon plays defense just as well as Dipo.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

If they a prime destination how they dont have a marquee FA in the last 10 yrs? Bosh and Bron only signed cuz Wade was there and they wanted 3 Kings. Jimmy Butler only signed there as a last resort to get away from Philly its not like he wanted to be in Miami all along.

Meanwhile who Celts signed in that span? Al Horford, Gordon Hayward, Kyrie Irving, Kemba Walker. You even got Klove saying he preferred Celtics cuz of winning culture.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not gonna say that because I do like a lot about this team, I just don't think Dipo making that kind of money makes up contenders.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Dipo wont put them over the top lol they bottom feeder in the East. Dipo makes them top 4 East best case he wont make them a contender and they prob know that as well. Miami didnt wanna trade Herro for Harden suddenly they do that for Dipo? I dont think so.

Wall and Gordon are sunk cost why are you lumping them with Dipo? Dipo stands on his own with or without Wall and EG. EG is expiring next year only Wall is a 2 yr deal.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

You are right they arent contenders right now but keeping Dipo and Wood will make them attractive to a FA that will make them contenders in 2 yrs IMO.

Wood and low FRP are less attractive than Wood and Dipo.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

imo, he is. 20/5/5 is pretty damn good. Add that to 1st team all D, yea imo he's elite on both sides.

I know, I like Gordon and his current contract, only issue is his age and shaky handle.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't think he is worth 21M on this team.

Gordon does everything he does and is cheaper, I would rather try and get that production from a younger player.

I have no idea why you think 25-32 not being a huge stretch from what he is making means anything?

Like I have said before Dipo has only had a year and a half of top tier production and currently I don't see that guy so I would not pay him more than Gordon and I don't like his contract.

9. dmoneybangbang

EG is on the first year of 4 year extension.

saleem likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Indiana was fine keeping Malcolm Brogdon over Dipo.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

They did not have the cap flexibility for 5 of those years and there are only so many FA's, you can say the same about the Lakers what's your point?

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

My bad you are correct lol

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

The point is they arent a marquee destination until last year. There are only so many FAs so what if Miami was a marque destination they would have first pick.

Lakers always got talent as soon as Kobe retired Lebron came there. Prior to Lebron you had Dwight picking LA. Prior to that Pau Gasol had that video crying saying he didnt wanna get traded away from LA. You cant really say LAL didnt have first dibs on FAs if they got space stars gonna go there and it aint just because their BFF is playing there Shaq, Dwight and Lebron came when LAL had nothing.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He made all defense 1st team 1 time and 20/5/5 are nowhere near max money or a stats that you build a team around.

20/5/5 are not elite offensive numbers, np he is not elite on both sides. What does he do elite offensively?

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's not how that works and I think you know that.

I am not going down this rabbit hole with you defining what a marquee destination means so I am done on that topic.

16. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

They aren't bottom feeders. They aren't playing well but that is mostly due to players being out with injuries/illness. Dragic/Dipo/Butler/Robinson/Bam is a solid 5 in the East. The only team clearly better are the Nets if they gel. And where are you getting it from that the Heat wouldn't trade Herro for Harden? They would have done that deal in a second but the Rockets were asking for a way more.

Wall and Gordon are not sunk costs, you are using that term incorrectly. Dipo does not stand on his own. You have to decide where you are going to allocate your cap and current salaries and what positions/length/risk level they are matter. And you are wrong about Gordon. He has two more guaranteed years left on his deal.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

20/5/5 is max money if the player is good on offense and defense. Kawhi Leonard is averaging 25/5/5 this year alone. Keep in mind Kawhi is a superstar, a generational talent, MVP candidate and worth the super max 40-50M a year.

Dipos max is far less at only 32M. If you want other examples of max non superstars:
    Kyle Lowry: 17/6/6
    Khris Middletob: 21/6/6
    Gordon Hayward: 23/5/3
    Simmons: 13/8/7

ipaman likes this.
  18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Jimmy also didn't want us ....so it's more prime destination to at least Jimmy than Houston (who is basically a hometown kid too).

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...-went-all-in-on-Jimmy-Butler-but-15603283.php

"They readied one final (presumably) run, plotting a free agent chase in June of 2019 by preparing deals to move Capela and Eric Gordon to create the cap room needed to sign Butler as a free agent. As with their offer of four first-round picks, that seemed extreme at the time, they planned to spend the only center they would play and their third-leading scorer, but they had been convinced that Butler could be the player to finally push the Rockets over the top.

They never got their sit-down with Butler. When Butler quickly told Heat president Pat Riley and coach Erik Spoelstra where he would take his talents, the Rockets moved on."

19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Jimmy hates Houston man, everyone knows that.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yes Im wrong on Gordon. He on the roster for the next 3 years.

But they are sunk costs regarding Dipo cuz they are independent from trading or keeping Dipo. Whether you have Herro or Dipo you still have EG and Wall. Im using sunk cost correctly. Its a separate decision on what to do with Wall and EG or if you can even get rid of him.

Solid 5 is different from winning a ring. Look at Miami capspace they got only 77M in guaranteed salary next year. If they really think Dipo can put them over the top they can just recruit him in FA outright and keep Herro as well. You said Nets are clearly better if they gel so if everything proceeds as planned they lose ECF to Nets with Dipo. Thats not worth lossing Herro from Heat persp.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/m...n adjust their,season, sometimes game by game.