1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

March 26th, Will Dipo Still be here?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OpportunityCost, Feb 2, 2021.

?

March 26th, Will Dipo Still Be Here?

1. Yes

74 vote(s)
    60.2%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    39.8%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's moving the needle man, with Dipo on the team the Rockets got the 1st team defense on the squad as well as a more reliable shooter and playmaker than Wall. Rox winning 6 straight isn't a fluke its due to great synergy between the team since we have a bunch of good 2 way players Dipo is a large part of that.

30M Dipo isn't a contract you can't get away from look at Gordon Hayward in NO. He still got a new max contract after his first deal with the Celtics became a bust. That's cuz he is still young in the same way Dipo is only 27 with a 4 year deal he'll only be 31 still very tradable.

2. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I'm conflicted on this one. He adds a lot to the team and we may very well lose him after this year for nothing. But the Rockets are playing so well. Hate to break that up. It's always on the table that he could be dealt though.

charlieaustin and Hakeemtheking like this.
  3. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

GSW is the best target. Why not send Gordon, Tucker there for Wiggins and Minny pick. Dipo could go to another playoff team with 2 1sts. F**k Miami. They don't have any assets unless you did 2024&2026 pick swaps and 2025&2027 1sts. They would have to drastically overpay. CLE or NYK could be a target.

HP3 and MC31B like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yes it's your mistake saying a dumb thing. By your logic Luka Doncic was on the table the year Mavs drafted him because a couple of months ago he wasn't even in the league.

Harden wasn't on the table till he said he wanted to be traded, prior to that he was untouchable the Rox even got taken by surprise and felt betrayed when Harden asked to be traded. Wood is the Rockets' star now he is untouchable unless some other team offers a sure fire superstar for him and then you need to think why'd they offer that package for Wood?

Just try and make a hypothetical trade scenario man what kind of trade package would Rox get for Wood that would make them accept it.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

How do you know GSW would want EG and Tucker for Wiggins and Minny pick? GSW might be in rebuilding phase with Wiseman they won't want instant win vets like EG and Tucker.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am having a hard time envisioning the Rockets paying him the supermax. So unless he changes his demands, bye bye.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Out of those combinations only Wiseman and Oubre make sense and that's too much value for Wood from GSW perspective. Minnesota's pick isn't worth Wood as the Minny pick is top 3 protected and Minny gets a 50-50 to keep their pick if they remain one of the 3 worst teams in the league. You don't trade a sure thing like Wood for a maybe top 4-10 lotto pick like Minny.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is not eligible for the super max lol, Dipo can at most make 32M per year. Supermaxs only happen when the player gets maxxed out by a team he has stayed on for 6 years (hence why Harden is eligible to sign a contract worth 50M)

BamBam likes this.
  9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

He was on the table, just ask the Hawks. Who is saying dumb things now? Seriously man, you're taking this way too seriously. I like Christian. I don't know what will happen, neither do you. I will say that for you to come at me because I don't agree that Wood is nearly untouchable is just not cool. It's ok for you to have your opinion, just as I have mine.

MC31B likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

He didn't really dismiss or deny it, he just changed the subject and said he wanted to build something here. I'm assuming he just keeping an open mind, according to sauces on twitter both him and Rox agreed to wait 20ish games and go from there which IMO is the correct approach.

If you look at post game interviews though the word that come up is "FUN". It's not just EG that said, Silas, Wall and Cousins all said this team is fun and they enjoy coming to work everyday. They even have a players' dinner coming up and Wall said the players all like to hang out together. Unless Dipo is getting ostracized behind the scenes I'd assume he is also enjoying his stay here and would prob stay long term if offered his max deal.

Miami is great for vacation but prob not a great team to play for when they stink it up which is what they're currently doing. That team is prob a great alternative option for Dipo if Houston doesn't work out but I don't think he is dying right now to join the squad ala Harden.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

I was talking about when he started playing in the NBA. You really think Mavs started dangling him on the table for offers when Luka started balling?

I'm not taking it seriously I just find it funny you think CWood is on the table when he clearly isn't. Yeah we don't know what will happen. Maybe tom Wood gets in an accident. Maybe he wins 300M in the powerball lotto and decides to retire early and enjoy life. But unless something crazy happens Wood is untouchable.

12. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Again, not a prediction, just a hypothetical example. And even still you validated one of those scenarios by saying that GS is giving up too much. My point is nobody is untouchable. Unless you disagree with that, then everything else is you speculating and putting words in my mouth. I don't think Wood will be traded, I said the Rockets will get offers, and you've admitted that if you're Stone, then there is at least one trade you would accept. Earlier you said it had to be a near "Giannis" level superstar.

What do you want me to say man, "my thoughts are dumb and you're right about the future"?

13. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Two completely opposite statements. You know for a fact that the Rockets will hang up the phone on anybody who inquires about Wood's availability in March? That's "clear" right? Also, you don't know the future.

This reminds me of the time when I was kid and an older kid told me Santa wasn't real. I got angry at him, because Santa was special, and I didn't want to believe the older kid. I had no proof of Santa, I had no way of knowing if I was right, but I almost fought the kid because I just didn't want to hear it. Is Christian Wood your "Santa"?

HP3 likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah Rox would accept it from their side, but you also need to think why the other team would offer a Giannis level superstar. :Like why would Bucks offer Giannis for Wood straight up? Obv Stone will do that if offered but since he won't get offered that deal whats the point? Just because Stone would trade Wood for Giannis doesn't mean he is on the table lol. And other teams would know that they won't waste time making joke offers for Wood when they can do real deals so I wouldn't be surprised if Stone doesn't even get 1 offer for him. Think of it from GSW perspective you know Stone will agree to Oubre and Wiseman for Wood but why will you do that and lose value? Oth Oubre and Minny pick is clearly not enough for Wood why would make that offer you know Houston won't accept it.

You realize a black hole singularity can open up tom and destroy the earth right? Will you live like it's the last day on earth today just because of that?

Just because it is possible doesn't mean it is probable.

15. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

It was just an offer like the others but they aren't rebuilding at $150M in LT. They are reloading and likely a playoff team. It also might save them $30-$40M in luxury tax a year. They acquired Russell so they didn't lose Durant's salary slot and immediately traded him for the best assets they could get and resigned Draymond to the new deal and losing the first two years of Thompson's new deal. After next year they need to resign Steph. Wiseman was a use it or lose it asset from a tanking year due to injury that I am sure they were happy to get. They are understaffed right now but get Klay back next year. Maybe they want the other offers.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont think Dipo is a better playmaker than Wall. He is better at getting to the rim and generating his own shot, but Wall is the general for this team and is fairly consistent in the same ways as Victor. Dipo is not directing traffic - he has one job here SCORE! It works because everyone has a clear role and everyone has bought into the defensive side.

I think his future as a Rocket hinges on the Oladipo market come trade deadline and into the offseason and how much he enjoys playing with this current team. At first he didnt like it - rumored to want to go to a contender, but maybe he feels like HE is turning this team into a contender and is willing to negotiate a team friendly deal to keep roster building. If he's looking to max out his value it might not be here.

sydmill likes this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Probably will be here, but I'd prefer he be traded.

steddinotayto and HP3 like this.
  18. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with your last statement. I've said at least 3 times now, I don't think he will get traded. Go look in this thread, you've been blinded by trying to impose your point of view. Also there is a difference between "dangling" a player, and willing to listen to offers. Wood's contract is extremely attractive to anyone with a 3 year window. All I'm saying is we don't know what the Rockets 3 year plan is. If the Rockets have a four-year plan and intend to max Wood, then you need another star if you want to compete for a title. Maybe the Rockets are buyers this deadline and that would raise the price of Wood to a competitor.

Your argument has devolved from the Rockets will only trade Wood for a superstar to, no team is dumb enough to overpay for Wood. You may be right, but I think the Rockets will get offers. When I talk about the future, clearly I'm not referencing car accidents, or lottery jackpots and my favorite, the black hole singularity. I'm simply stating that we don't know what offers the Rockets may receive.

Right now Wood's biggest asset, his team friendly contract, will be gone in 3 years. Once Wood starts making 35 million a year, the Rockets better have a 2nd superstar because Wood is unlikely to get us a ring as long as he is the only all star on the team. Then what, we have a 4 or 5 year window to find another star and hope we find value in the next "Christian Wood" player we find. Almost every champion has a player that is drastically underpaid. For the Rockets that was Scola and Landry during the Yao era. It was Beverly and Parsons during the Harden era.

We need value out of our positions. We're getting that now with Wood, so let's find another star in the next 3 years. If the plan isn't to find him another superstar to play along with, at least listening to other teams offers may be beneficial. Paying him the max in 3 years pushes this team backwards unless we get value or a star somewhere else. Buy low, sell high may not be the Rockets plan for him, but I'd understand if it was.

19. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

For a half season rental I don't see teams giving up valuable assets for him. So if the team is rolling why not keep him and try to sign him to a reasonable deal after the season?

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's funny and ironic that the one team that could use Dipo and push them into legit championship contention is the one that didn't want to fork over the assets to get Harden. Victor would be a huge get for the Sixers right now. If they replaced Danny Green's corpse in the starting lineup with Dipo.