1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oladipo..............Not seeing it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jiggyfly, Jan 27, 2021.

1. PatBev

PatBev Member

It would be super chill if he signed like a 3yr max and I’ll give him the player option for the 3rd year

5 years is a commitment, but if we can stay healthy, I really want to compete with Wall/Dipo/Wood

by the time Wall/Dipo contracts would be expiring, Wood would be only 28

That would allow us to develop rookies, compete, trade for assets, and allow a culture change for free agency as Wood establishes himself and begins to enter his prime

2. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Same. Especially when we could have had LeVert who is younger and cheaper for the next two years. The Rockets paying Diplo should only happen if they can't get a young player like Herro and a pick swap for him.

3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I knew he was an underrated defender but Dipo is just a great defender. His defense looks elite.

4. HROZ

HROZ Member

I really think Rockets need to shop Oladipo or Gordon.

Having a 20mill backup is too much.
    Dipo can play some SF but not too many minutes

D-rock likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

EGo makes 20M a year?

Since when? Only 16M this season.

Will not be 20M until 2023-24, last year of contract.

He will be 34.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. dannah

dannah Member

Not sure what history you are talking about. This group of guys have never played together before, they have no history.
    If WOW stay healthy i haven't seen anything this past month that says they can't compete for a championship. The defense is good, the offense is good, the effort is good, the mindset is good, everyone is contributing, they are playing limited minutes. They've looked great. Still waiting to see what they can do against the Lakers/Clippers but it's not like any other team has really impressed me.

raining threes likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He will get paid if he'll lead the team to WCF or Finals.

Given this crazy season, I do not know. Crazier things have happened.

Before his injury, he was sticking it to Lebron and the Cavs in the first round, taking the Cavs to 7.

But he was also very bad in the bubble last season.

D-rock likes this.
  8. BreakYoSelfFool

How do we know any of this is this is true? I haven't heard Oladipo say anything of the sort and some sources would be nice. Harden turned down 50+ per year, must be because he wanted more money right? I think Oladipo is definitely worth 25 per and with the way the rockets are playing and his health is improving he could be worth more to our team. If you don't think so, tell me some guys who are worth more that are under contract for less that didn't get or wont want a max extension. If there is no one better for less how is he not worth the price? Also what teams are we competing against to sign him for more than 25 mil? Maybe he does want to go to the Heat, but is Jimmy Buckets, Bam, and Oladipo worth 90+ mil to them next year? Or maybe he likes the team that is on the longest winning streak in the league shortly after being formed.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I hope this was a joke.

Harden had plenty of videos of him working out after a game.

D-rock likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Is it of the charts?

Do you have those on off numbers?

11. dmoneybangbang

Any of it?

Either way we are going to have to overpay to keep Dipo.

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Now you are just babbling.

Talk about a strawman.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am talking about the history of having non superstar guys.

If you think the Rockets playing against undermanned and mediocre teams means we can compete for a championship more power to you.

Let's agree to disagree.

14. BreakYoSelfFool

That is a big assumption, we don't know how much it will cost to keep him or what we can get in a trade for him. He's on the team now, so what are you suggesting? Also overpay very generic, is 25 mil overpay?

Of course, we would love to fill a team with bargain guys like Christian Wood, but in reality he will probably want the max in 3 years too. In general, you can't get many all star players for less than Oladipo's current salary, and unless someone is willing to sacrifice $'s to play for your team it won't happen much in free agency. The Rockets have a dozen first round picks and have shown to be good at selecting undrafted guys; I don't think they will have trouble finding good rookie scale guys. I still haven't heard anyone name a better player who can be had for less $'s that isn't going to want the max on their next extension.

15. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Do you have any idea when Lavert will be able to play again?

D-rock, raining threes and roslolian like this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Champion teams arent made in a day they either build thru draft (extremely rare), build thru FA (Miami, Shaq-Kobe Lakers) or a mix of both (most of the champ teams like GSW, Tor, Cle, LBJ Lakers)

For the Rox option 1 is not really an option anymore as long as Wood and the young guns are around (Brown, Tate, Nwaba, Jones) we too good to tank. We can only go option 2 and 3 and in that case Dipo and Wood is a nice supporting cast for a superstar.

Unless you the Lakers or Brooklyn you cant be totally bad and expect to lure a FA. Look at Atlanta and Washington who they got in FA? Atlanta even have Trae Young hyped as Curry 2.0 and the best FA haul they got was Gallo and Rondo. Couldnt even lure overpaid max level talent like Gordon Hayward.

The Rox today is extremely similar to Clippers prior Kawhi and Brooklyn prior KD. In 2 yrs Wall's deal will expire and Wood will be 27 and in his prime. Thats the time to recruit a superstar but that wont happen if the Rox are a poopy team.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have no idea what this has to do with anything.

The fact that you think Dipo and Wood will attract anybody is extremely speculative.

Maybe just maybe Hayward saw that he would be the 1st option in Charlotte and maybe the 2nd option in Atlanta and that had something to do with it.

I really have no idea what Atlanta has to do with anything.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

no max player is worth the max unless you are LBJ. but those other guys still get it and if i was going to max a player he better play both sides of the ball and Dipo does at an elite level.

raining threes likes this.
  19. BreakYoSelfFool

Let me make some of my points clearer:

1. Even if Oladipo didn't extend with Indy, it does not indicate that he wants a specific amount of pay or mean he will not re-sign with Houston
    2. Victor Oladipo is a good value on his current contract
    3. Victor Oladipo seems to fit well with the Rockets current build and has not expressed any dissatisfaction
    4. There are not any replacement players available that would be a better value and fit with this team currently
    5. Any replacement player that we do find that is better value than Oladipo will probably want Max money in the future and may not fit as well
    6. We don't know how much it will cost to keep Oladipo at the end of the season, and sign and trade is also an option then
    7. Rockets are a much better team since trading Harden and getting Oladipo
    8. Oladipo is still not back to his prime form and could get even better
    9. Levert for Oladipo and some 2nd round picks is a landslide win for the Rockets

DaDakota likes this.
  20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

No but it sounds like it's not going to be a long term problem. And the Rockets didn't know about the cancer when they made the trade so him being out had no real impact on their decision making.

D-rock likes this.