1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson Trade Packages

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Jan 28, 2021.

?

Which trade package do you like best?

1. NYJ

60 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. MIA

30 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. JAX

24 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Other (state your preference in a post)

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And the problem with dealing with teams like that, from the Texans' perspective: their future draft choices have *far* less value. So the only way to really exact the right price is present picks, as opposed to future picks.

Sooty likes this.
  2. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Joe Marino from The Draft Network proposed a really intriguing trade with the Dolphins in his mock draft yesterday.

In this scenario we get the following from Miami:

#3 pick
    #18 pick
    2021 3rd (#81)
    Tua
    Xavien Howard (legit #1 corner)
    2022 1st

We would then flip the #3 pick to the 49ers so they can make a big move to match the Rams big move (they would be drafting Wilson in his scenario).

After trading back with SF our total assets ACQUIRED over the next two drafts would be:

#12 pick
    #18 pick
    #44 pick
    2021 3rd (#81)
    2021 4th (#116)
    2022 1st (from Miami)
    2022 1st (from SF)

Players acquired:
    Tua
    Xavien Howard

We'd also still have our own 1st round pick next year. That would give us enough ammunition to trade up for a QB if we determined Tua wasn't the guy we want long-term.

OR you could decide to let the Dolphins keep Tua (they'd likely be able to move him somewhere else for a 2nd) and Howard. Then just get as much draft capital as possible from the Dolphins. That could look something like this:

Texans Receive:

#3 Pick
    #18 Pick
    #35 Pick
    #50 Pick
    2022 1st
    2022 2nd
    You could maybe even get greedy and ask for 2023 1st as well assuming they might be willing to include it since it will likely not be a premium 1st round pick.

Obviously I have too much time on my hands, but I think this is shaping up to be a fascinating return of players/picks.

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

I have this sinking feeling that if Watson is traded that JJ will be traded also.

Rudyc281 and Sooty like this.
  4. Spooner

Spooner Member

Hope so! He deserves to play out the remainder his career with a functional organization.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If I can cherry pick, I’d get our 2nd rounder back from Miami instead of the 3rd and call it a day. Trading back to #12 and getting the extra 1st and 2nd is not a bad deal but that would also likely mean not having a top 10 pick at the end.

texans1095 and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd be slightly less spurned by the Watson trade demand... and actually more excited about all of this... if it still wasn't Cal as the owner and Easterby pulling the strings and having final say/veto power over any major move.

At this point, I no longer care what they do with Watson or what sort of return they may or may not get... its about fixing the culture and not having a stalker/weirdo/charlatan being the defacto "hands-on owner" of this team (which is basically what he is right now).

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... although first and second round picks do have value, wherever they are.... both in being able to find quality players or to stockpile to trade up.

Granted the weirdo is still there so none of this matters...

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Why would that be a sinking feeling?? Why would you want JJ to rot here if Deshaun is traded? As far as I'm concerned, if there is anybody that has earned the right to do whatever the **** will make him happy, it's JJ Watt.

King1, Roc Paint, Sooty and 1 other person like this.
  9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You’ll still be stuck with Easterby.

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I fail to understand how this is a response to what I said. JJ can and should demand to be traded/waived if Deshaun is dealt. Nobody worth a damn should want to be on this dumpster fire if they can't work it out with DW4.

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

I don't disagree with you that's why i feel if one is trade the other will be also.

12. raining threes

It was a happy locker room until they started off 0-4. Then the players started politicking. I think you're missing the point.

In the next two years very few current players will be on the roster. So a happy locker room doesn't really matter. The team is going to suck whether they're happy or not.

texans1095 and UTSA2step like this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This has to be a Hershel Walker / Ricky Williams type trade

Rocket River

UTSA2step, Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

But just Like DW4 should honor his contract to the Texans. We should honor the contract the other players signed to the Texans.

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

Agreed he has been to good of a player to keep going through this dysfunction with cal and easterby

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

The offer is nothing.

I want Cal and Easterbunny to go nuclear. I want the Texans to hold a press conference and have it just be Easterby announcing his promotion as president of the Houston Texans, and that the decision to trade Watson has been given to him. He prayed about it and there will be no trade. Then I want Easterby to say Deshaun Watson has 2 choices. Play in the NFL for the Houston Texans or retire. We have the "player" under contract for 5 seasons and would also like to announce we will franchise tag him in 2026 and 2027. Also, Cal has informed me that any money that the Texans save from Deshaun not showing up will be bonused directly to me. See you in training camp number 4.

This team is going to be awful for years to come. Let's make it the ugliest it can be off the field!!!

Htown Legend likes this.
  17. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Just call the Chargers and tell them Watson for Herbert straight up.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I would take Herbert in a trade, but it would take some firsts too

19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Interesting idea -- Herbert is the real deal - and on a rookie contract. I'd still prefer Zach Wilson + a haul of picks from the Jets.

whag00, Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Article from the Athletic today.

Deshaun Watson trade offers: Our writers propose their best deals to the Texans

Deshaun Watson wants out of Houston, and he has significant control over where he’ll go. Unless the Texans are willing to run the risk of Watson sitting out games next season, they’ll trade him before the NFL Draft, and he’ll head to a team of his liking because his $156 million contract extension includes a no-trade clause.

Even though Watson can limit the number of bidders for his services, he should command an unprecedented haul of draft capital in any deal. Elite 25-year-old QBs under contract for five more seasons are rarely available.

We asked The Athletic’s beat writers to submit offers on behalf of the teams they cover, along with an explanation for why Watson should waive his no trade clause to join those clubs. Texans beat writer Aaron Reiss analyzed each deal and picked the best one for Houston.

Denver Broncos
    Offer: No. 9 pick in 2021 draft, 2022 first-round pick, 2023 second-round pick, QB Drew Lock, TE Noah Fant

Why it makes sense for the Broncos: The Broncos have an offensive line that began turning a major corner this season, highlighted by the All-Pro rise of blindside protector Garett Bolles. They have a stable of playmakers, including All-Pro wide receiver Courtland Sutton and 2020 first-round pick Jerry Jeudy, who is coming off the second-most productive season for a rookie wide receiver in team history. No, Denver is not just a quarterback away from being a Super Bowl contender, but they may be a Deshaun Watson away. Though the Broncos have some important holes to fill on defense — where have all the cornerbacks gone? — Pro Bowl selections Bradley Chubb and Justin Simmons, assuming the unrestricted free agent safety re-signs in Denver, create a strong foundation on that side of the ball, and there’s strong, young talent on the defensive line. Losing Fant would hurt, but the Broncos may already have a gem behind him in Albert Okwuegbunam, the 2020 fourth-round pick out of Missouri who was turning heads last season before suffering an ACL tear.

Why Watson should be interested:Receivers Sutton, Jeudy, KJ Hamler and Tim Patrick create an intriguing lineup of options in the passing game. Watson, clearly irked by the trade of his top weapon, DeAndre Hopkins, would get back another top-tier target in Sutton. The Broncos have fallen on hard times, but the organization has been a consistent championship contender when a free-agent quarterback is in the fold. Denver has typically been successful attracting marquee free agents, and Watson’s presence would only strengthen that ability. And if Watson views himself as the league’s best quarterback, what better way to prove it than with two games per season against Patrick Mahomes?

— Nick Kosmider

How the Texans should feel about this offer: Fant is a nice piece, but the No. 9 overall pick won’t be a place where Houston can find its next franchise QB, and Lock probably isn’t that guy either, so this deal needs more. If the Broncos aren’t willing to throw in a third first-round pick, as some teams are, they’ll have to toss in one of the playmakers who make this an attractive landing spot for Watson. Jeudy would help replenish a receiving corps that could lose Will Fuller in free agency. But if the Broncos don’t want to take away weapons from Watson, how about Chubb? The Texans are going to need a new top-end pass rusher to succeed J.J. Watt, who seems likely to be gone as well if the team moves on from Watson.

Las Vegas Raiders
    Offer: No. 17 pick in 2021 draft, 2022 first-round pick and 2023 first-round pick, QB Derek Carr

Why it makes sense for the Raiders: Derek Carr was a very good quarterback in 2020, but Deshaun Watson is a great one who’s four years younger. He’d make it likely that a Raiders offense that ranked 10th in scoring in 2020 becomes truly elite in 2021 and set up for offensive proficiency for years to come. According to Spotrac, the Raiders would take a $2.5 million cap hit for trading Carr, but that would be offset in savings because Carr has a higher cap hit ($22.125 million) than Watson ($15.94 million) in 2021. Carr has been a pretty consistent quarterback throughout his career, but he’s not a transcendent talent who’ll drag the Raiders to the playoffs or be the driving force in deep postseason runs. Las Vegas would instantly get better by swapping him for Watson.

Why Watson should be interested:The Raiders only went 8-8 in 2020, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. They beat the Saints, Chiefs and Browns and were 6-3 at one point before collapsing down the stretch. They have a strong offensive play caller in coach Jon Gruden, a dynamic pass catcher in tight end Darren Waller, an ascending running back in Josh Jacobs and a sturdy offensive line. The receiving corps featuring Henry Ruggs III and Hunter Renfrow is young and needs improvement, but the tools are there for the offense to be special. The issue is the defense was awful this year. While Las Vegas replaced former defensive coordinator Paul Guenther with Gus Bradley, the unit still needs significant improvement through the draft and free agency. Luckily, with some roster movement elsewhere, the Raiders could still pull that off while trading for Watson. The Raiders would be a strong bet to make the playoffs if that comes to fruition.

— Tashan Reed

How the Texans should feel about this offer: The late 2021 first-round pick could make it difficult to acquire a franchise quarterback in this year’s draft, but Carr is on an affordable contract for two more seasons. At the very least, he can serve as a stop-gap solution while the Texans address their many other needs. And because he’ll only be 30 next season, he could be the starter for years to come. But in that scenario, Houston GM Nick Caserio must hit on all of the future first-round picks he’s acquiring in this deal. Carr needs a lot of talent around him to be successful.

J.R. likes this.