1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Splash!] Souza, Jr in Agreement w/ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, Jan 30, 2021.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I don’t totally disagree with most of what you are saying

but you are arguing he should have spent bigger on one player instead of signing multiple...then saying we have no depth??

2. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

so much for trying to get bradley

3. Radricky

Radricky Member

Disappointed in click would be an understatement.

RKREBORN likes this.
  4. T for 3

T for 3 Member

The reaction to Click reminds me of how people wanted to fire Silas after 3 games.......take a ****ing chill pill.

5. Milos

Milos Member

My 'yuck' wasn't even about Click
    I think he is operating on training wheels for now with a VERY limited budget

My yuck is bc I was hoping for a legit vet to compete w Straw for CF, and I have never liked Souza, or guys coming off shredded limbs in general

I'm reserving judgement until new GM has a chance to operate a (near) full season with (hopefully) something approaching normal revenues by AUG/SEP

This next off-season will be revealing
    JV + Greinke + Correa + LMJ + Pressly + JSmith + Yuli (maybe) all coming off the books
    Instant nearly $100M off the payroll potentially

Even if Crane mandates the budget to play with is only half that, we will know a lot more about Click by how he allocates his $50M per next off-season

6. raining threes

Do you think Luhnow was the best GM in baseball?

Do you think these would be moves Luhnow would've made?

Do you think these moves have given the Stros their best chance to win a championship or that the limited resources have been spent well. Apparently Click valued spending 7 million on a below avg C and overpaying a 7th inning reliever more than finding a CF or a starting P. You think this was a good idea?

Would you rather sign Avila for one year 1.5 million or Castro for two years 7 million?

7. raining threes

Why?

One guy has had two offseasons and hasn't done crap.

The other is a rookie HC that has nothing to do with acquiring talent.

8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Luhnow had the luxury of several tanking years to build his vision. We shouldn’t be so quick to judge Click. That’s what I meant with the Silas comparison. It was a hasty judgment.

Looking at the post below...two off-seasons is a huge stretch considering the scandal he inherited and the pandemic. You could argue he hasn’t had one true offseason.

9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

"Two offseasons". Lmao. One offseason + trade deadline unless you're seriously going to count last year when he inherited a complete **** show of an org in early Feb right before Spring Training/Covid and after a lot of guys had already signed.

T for 3 likes this.
  10. raining threes

Click inherited Luhnow's vision and all he had to do was maintain what Luhnow has built. So far he's failed at that task.

11. raining threes

What sh!tshow did he inherit?

The team he inherited was projected to win the 2nd most games in MLB. That's hardly what I would call a sh!tshow.

12. T for 3

T for 3 Member

He inherited Lunhow’s vision? More like he inherited a roster full of contract issues and injuries that *was* Luhnow’s vision.

No Worries likes this.
  13. raining threes

A team that finished one game away from a WS and the only move Click made was trading for Raley. Tell me more about how these injuries (They did nothing to replace Alvarez with even a MLB avg bat, contract issues have affected the team. Other than Springer they really didn't have any contract issues. I fully expected them to re-sign Brantley.

BTW, You're kidding yourself if you think a team with Straw as their everyday CF is going to win a WS.

14. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Oh nothing. The org was just coming off having to deal with a big cheating scandal and having to fire their GM and Manager right before Spring Training. Anyways, what would you have preferred the GM do in Feb? Sign some FA? With what money and what guys were left. Trade for some players? With what farm system.

15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

So, who was Luhnow’s prize acquisition, the one he went all in to get? When’s the last time he’s pitched? In fact, when’s the next time he’ll pitch?

So your basing the Click negativity on who he didn’t sign to replace Alvarez last year? Who could they have signed? I honestly don’t know.

My thing is, my time horizon for evaluating a GM isn’t one or two years, it’s more like 5.

I agree with you on Straw, is he really 1 on the depth chart at CF?

16. raining threes

With the money that was spent on Castro and Baez.

17. raining threes

I'm basing this on the fact that every offseason Luhnow traded for guys like Gattis,Pressly and in season Osuna, Cameron, Even though it didn't work out Fiers,Gomez etc... Solid fairly cheap vets.

Tell me again what has Click done that gives you confidence that he's not just another Poops? Other than fandom that is.

I think with Click the rest of the story has yet to be told. Next off season it will really be telling what Click is all about. This is the last go around for this group of players and they need to add help if they want to win another championship. If Luhnow was GM I have no doubt he would fill those needs through trades. With Click the jury is still out but I want to know what he's done so far that makes you think it's promising.

18. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Okay got it you're not even reading my comments, otherwise you'd know I'm simply talking about your comment that he has had 2 offseasons and did nothing. I'm talking about last year's offseason

19. raining threes

Last offseason and this offseason equals 2 offseasons

And yes, he could've made trades to add talent both offseasons or during last season to help the team like Luhnow regularly did.

Do you expect Click to make any trades at the deadline? I dont, but I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What players would Click trade? The farm is very light on top talent.