1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It’s time to extend PJ Tucker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 31, 2021.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Offer him a job as a 'team ambassador' after he retires.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

LTS Player Development Coordinator

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I would like to extend PJ Tucker 2 or 3 more inches. This would really help.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I love him so much but giving big money to a guy who is 36 when you're in a rebuild is about as stupid of a business decision as this team could possibly even make.

5. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Lol I wondered if some of this was going on to an extent. Harden and PJ bought matching Rolls Royce Culinans. Tilman owns a RR dealership, and some other dealership I believe. PJ is a big car nut, he is always picking up the latest hot car, he just ordered a brand new 992 911 Turbo S. I've had some more in depth posts of the cars he owns, it is beyond what he is getting paid. I believe it came out to over 20% of his annual income after tax on cars. I do not think he is buying these cars outright at full MSRP.

I know in college football players would get access to new luxury car leases for pennies from a booster who owns a dealership. Might be some of this going on with Tilman.

D-rock likes this.
  6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

We did. Over $30 million over the course of 4 seasons.

I tune out when I hear the "pay the man" argument. This phrase is usually brought up when facts can't be presented to support the argument.

roslolian likes this.
  7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

They did. He hasn’t accepted. Prob waiting to see if he is traded to a contender or more money dunno. But the extension is there for him as reported.

ElPigto likes this.
  8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

My friend Will is a bit more blunt than me, but he's accurate. PJ has been wonderful for the team and the young players to date, but he's no longer a starter at the 4 for us, nor a 30 minute player. A trade to a contender is what's best for both sides if we can get some value, which two 2nds seen fair at this point. I love PJ's grit and attitude, but we have some young players that can play and need the minutes.

roslolian likes this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

The facts dont support your argument. He was not payed full value while he was here. Those are the facts. He was underpaid relative to his performance for the team.

Loyalty is worth more, Im gonna ask you again, did you complain when Harden asked out?

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I don’t know

It’s more about Luxury Tax and league rules about repeater tax for being,over, IMO.

Think the Rockets can find a younger player who can get 6 pts, 5 rebs and a PER greater than 7......
    pay said player $2.8 million for a single season.

Edited: Abdel Nader 6’5” (27 years old): 36 min projection:
    15.8 pts.......6.9 Rebs.........44% (3P%).......PER of 13.1. Getting paid by Suns $1.8M this season. FA to be.

#50 ApacheWarrior, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I love PJ Tucker but cmon. This team has no use for him. He's the perfect final piece on a championship team. But for us, with or without him we are probably the same.

If you can trade him for a first round pick, you do it.

12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

LMAO
    My guy, you don't seem to understand the difference between a fact and opinion. You presented nothing but opinions. No facts. Here's some facts:
    PJ Tucker's PER has been below 10 (wow that's low) in each of his seasons with the Rockets. His PER has also declined over the past two seasons... with a sharp drop this year. Those are the facts. If you want to introduce the "stats don't matter" line of thinking, then it's you that's departing from facts and moving into opinions again.

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

[​IMG]

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Same attitude thought Mario Elie was done and was a pivotal part in the Spurs winning the championship in 99.
    Are we tanking or are we trying to win it all is the part we need to figure out. If we're planning on still competing Tucker plays a major role in that. If we plan on tanking and going full rebuild then I agree we should not pay him and send him to a team that wants his services! He's done right by this organization. He's the shane battier's james posey's, Haslem, Mario Elie. There is a reason why Contenders covet guys like Tucker. Not everything shows up on a stat sheet.

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

clutchdabear, D-rock and clos4life like this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Alright dude.

1. PER is a garbage stat, dont use it. It sucks. The creator of this stat, says it sucks.

2. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/

If you check his RAPTOR rating for every playoff run since he's been here you will find that he was second behind Harden last year, Second behind Harden again the year before that, and fourth behind Clint, Cp3 and Harden in our 2017-2018 season. And even then, he was way more valuable and effective agains the Warriors than Clint.

Career 40% 3 point shooter in the playoffs while having an efficient TS% in most playoff runs while being our best defender.

Yea but the facts disagree with me bro. Loyalty is important. And Im gonna ask you for the third time, were you mad at James Harden?

tycoonchip likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lul what what do you expect players and coach to say?

Dipo "Man I dont even know if Im gonna be here next season, pay my max first before you think of extending another dude wtf"

Wall "I dont give a **** tbh. Im here for the next 3 yrs."

Nwaba "Tucker has been giving great advice, but its time for him to sit down and watch me go to work as a starter every game. You see me put up more than 2 pt in 30 mins?"

Silas "Bruh I'm just thankful he has suited up every game so far"

These players and the coach are his coworkers. Unless they got some beef with him they wont say **** about him in public just in the real world.

Tuckers just been mailing it in so far. Yeah he been playing defense as usual but he was mailing it in terms of effort offensively and being passive on offense. Some players are like that when Harden is mailing it in he slacks on D and when Tucker is mailing it in he slacks on O. The stats bare that out he is negative not on boxscore but in advanced metrics like BPM or VORP. He was a lot better the last game but prior that he was really bad having multiple -20 BPM nights. The offense we have now requires players to be proactive cuz guess what we dont have HOF offensive genius Harden anymore. Cant sit on corner 3s waiting for a pass that never comes.

If he is a starter getting 30 mins a night he needs to be active on offense doesnt matter what his teammates say in public. If he doesnt the team just falls in a whole to start the game and only digs itself back when he sits and the bench takes over.

BamBam likes this.
  18. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

You guys keep saying "legit contender". Who tf are they besides the Lakers? Besides LA, anybody's ticket can get stamped this season.

19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

This is hard to overlook. Make it a win/win and send this man to a contender.

20. hakeemthagreat

The Rockets need a culture revamp after Daryl Morey, Harden and all the idiot fans here that have been making excuses for them for YEARS. Players don't want to come here and its because the negative stigmas from the last regime. The Rockets are already on a good start under Stone. But I really want them to extend PJ and make him a mentor to help younger players and also have him help change the image of the organization. Guys like PJ, he can be like a Udonis Haslem for us

tycoonchip likes this.