1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oladipo..............Not seeing it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jiggyfly, Jan 27, 2021.

1. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

When you’re a complete player meaning a two way player with no offensive weaknesses you always make the team better! Unless you already have 5 of them on your team which is literally never

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Look at Gordons numbers when he was a starter for the Clippers and NOH he was the same guy.

Gordon has also been hampered with injuries, they are essentially the same players, just because somebody was in the conversation does not mean they are better.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So what does that have to do with my original post?

I was talking about the team and building toward being a contender so what you are seeing has nothing to do with why I started this thread.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am torn, I really like him, but is he a super max player - nope.

DD

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'd rather build around Wood-Dipo than Wood-Wall.

If those were the choices.

WOW is a fad. One of these guys are going to be moved, maybe even as soon as this season.

rhee likes this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I won't be happy if Wood is moved. We're stuck with Wall's contract. He is a good player when he passes the ball. I hope Dipo will continue to play well on a consistent basis. If he doesn't, he will end up as an expiring contract.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Also acting what you, the poster you’re replying to, or me matters at all on what actually does happen is funny. I guess it is more about discussing what is best for the Dockets and that is why I agree with you. I want Harden to win and he deserves too in my opinion. But if they don’t and the team falls apart and the rockets somehow get two top 5 picks. That’s what is important.

Scola Scoops likes this.
  8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

That dude won't touch the super max unless being a multi platinum selling recording artist comes with the deal..

palmsnbananas and HP3 like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You don’t have to be a super max contract to be not worth it. Gordan is not super max and his contract is an albatross. Dipo at 20m ok. Dipo at 25+ no thanks. Trade him or lose him is my hypothesis.

10. HP3

HP3 Member

Out of all the NBA player that have ever tried music...he actually might be the most talented.

conquistador#11 and javal_lon like this.
  11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

When you originally posted you weren't seeing it with Dipo I looked at Dipo and didn't see anything. It was dark and I was blind to his game. Now there's light at the end of the tunnel... there's a chance if he plays well enough and he helps get us deep in the playoffs... I still wouldn't want the Rockets to pay him the max but man I can see why somebody else would how about that!?!

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Dude, you wouldn’t want to pay Oladipo the max if we went deep in the playoffs??? That’s crazy talk.

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Nah... not the max. If we won a championship or got to the finals then I could see why. I just wish he was younger with no serious injuries.

DCHAMP likes this.
  14. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Hahaha who knows, maybe Stone has a burner account here and whatever we say really does matter...? :eek:

HP3 likes this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

He probably hates me because I call him peanut head. :eek::eek::eek:

D-rock likes this.
  16. clos4life

clos4life Member

I agree, he is not a super max player, but is he a max player? I don't he is, but if you want to keep him will anything less do it?

D-rock and BamBam like this.
  17. BreakYoSelfFool

Oladipo is a very good player for this team and a pretty good bargain at 21 mil. I think arguing over if he is a max player or not is silly and somewhat of a strawman argument. We don't know what the plan is or will be with Oladipo but I don't think anyone is hoping to sign him as a supermax player. Unfortunately in the NBA unless a top 8 guy volunteers/forces their way to your team you won't get a supermax player that you didn't draft and cultivate. Also, if you draft a great player that's not a superstar and cultivate them to an all star in 4 or 5 years, you will probably have to overpay them as well and hope they continue to improve.

Half of the guys truly worth supermax deals are in Brooklyn or LA. Nobody actually worth the Supermax currently or with high Supermax potential is available right now. I think most would hope to get Oladipo for under $25 mil. But there are already 41 guys under contract for next year for over $27 mil, meaning unfortunately a top 50 player will likely get more than $25 mil in free agency. Victor will be the better than any other SG free agent available and gives the Rockets lots of options as far as a potential bargain extension or sign and trade.

BamBam and IBTL like this.
  18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand why everything thinks Gordon's contract is an albatross. He was absolutely awful last year but so far this year he is earning

D-rock, jiggyfly and HP3 like this.
  19. conquistador#11

In today's nba it seems if you can chew gum and score 20 pts you get the max

D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is surely a max player on a mediocre team and he will get injured again, but if you have ambitions you better get a younger star with more potential.

Not here, Vic, not here.

This franchise gave CP3 a superlong supermax deal when he was 30 or something......so not going to do that again.

The CP3 got you WB and got you Wall and you can't get rid of that contract without tying picks to it.

It's beyond disgusting.