1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

This is more fun than watching a bunch of mindless 3 pointers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jan 31, 2021.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Umm....well, would you consider Brad Stevens a good coach?

D-rock likes this.
  2. 34to11

34to11 Member

You do realize Donatas Motiejunas never played for Mike D'Antoni in Houston, right?

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

But I did say we'd still run PNR, of course.

I'm saying that Wood would have been a lot more reliant upon his 3. Now, it's just a bonus. Every big man that we've had taht can shoot the 3 has been basically there to stretch the floor. Since bigs aren't really that eager to run around screens they often find themselves standing behind the 3 point line.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Most wide open shots in the NBA.

Those are the BEST 3's to take.

Are you really going to try and slice this salami?

HP3 likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You do realize I never said that he did?

Nice job cutting off the last part of my post to make it seem like I did.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean...he's taking the most threes of his career so far here in Houston with Stephen Silas. I really doubt, Dantoni would have him shooting more threes than he would need to, given how effcient he is at the basket. Mike and Daryl are all about efficiency. Ryan Anderson was pretty much the only stretch big that has ever played here and he was made to shoot threes lol. Dmo...I mean...he shot like 37% in 2014-2015 and the most he ever shot here was like 2 3s a game. If we didnt have him post up more , I mean...i donno, if that would been a drastic difference maker.

I dont have the numbers behind me though so this video might simply be a mirage lololol. But it at least looks like he got some post ups here. I enjoyed his post game a lot. It was nice.

#66 HP3, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

so it wasn't the way more talented teams we were playing? when durant/curry/klay/dray were massacring the rest of the league and we were the only team giving them a good series, the thought wasn't "maybe it's our style that helps us not be curbstomped like everyone else", you were thinking it was holding us back and we should have been beating those inferior teams with only 4 hall of famers?

8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Taking a lot of threes is something every offense in the league does. Morey deserves credit for that (I guess). It is nowhere close to true 0 midrange Hardenball though. I mean, even the shot chart shows that.

9. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Saying this team is more fun to watch than the other team isnt an attack its just truth to some people including me. Watching James Harden dribble dribble step back clank in the playoffs wasnt fun. We have been freed from Westbrook midrange clanks forever more! lol We had no center couldnt defend or rebound and had two guys iso their way through most games. Now those guys were pretty good at what they do and we made the playoffs but its generally accepted that the Harden Rockets werent that much fun to watch. They were effective at making the playoffs 8 years straight though.

DaDakota and Jayzers_100 like this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DanPhony game plan for game 7s
    Jack up 3s every possession

11. rocketsmetalspd

This has turned out o be one big nice surprise! So nice to see team ball on both sides of the court, especially on the D side of the court! Glad to see a coach that can adjust and play more than just 7 to 8 players.Let's how the team does with top teams of the league?

Go Rockets!! H-Town Crazy!!

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Clint Capela says hello.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, playing minutes and being a featured player on the team and go-to scorer will do that to one's attempts.

I feel like people are just looking at a box score and ignoring the context. Everyone (Or a lot of people) here at the time hated that Dmo was standing behind the 3 point line all the time. This is something you can't see on a stat screen because Dmo would not always shoot the 3, he'd hesitate sometimes or just pass it up, but he'd be standing there...

I found a whole thread about it from back then...
    https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/attn-coach-mchale-…-d-mo-is-not-a-three-point-shooter.235623/

Mchale ran the whole moreyball thing, MDA just did it 10x better because McHale wasn't an x and os coach.

But back then the thing about Dmo that we all wondered was "Why is he always standing behind the damn 3 point line?"

Now I'm sure, positive, Wood would be in PNR a lot but I think he'd be there to stretch the floor a lot too, which, as a big man means usually just standing there. Whether this would have been effective or not, I'm sure it would have, but I do think there is something about players that just chuck up threes and what missing them can do to confidence.

How many times have we heard Bull say when someone takes a 2 point shot "They're going to talk about that, about him taking that shot." Like he didn't just say that for no reason. The Rockets didn't get their 'No two pointers' rep for no reason. Yes, we still shoot a lot of 3 pointers with Silas but I think what people are saying, I know what I am saying, is guys are also free to take mid range shots. We know Wall and Dipo will pull up and take two pointers, along with Wood, and yes I do think that adds variety to our offense.

EDIT: Also, I will add that DMO had a beautiful low post game that was wasted here and I kind of feel bad for him because had he gone to any other team not obsessed with trying to make him a 3 point shooter he probably would have developed more into a low post big like his countryman Sabonis has developed.

T for 3 likes this.
  14. bmelo

bmelo Member

Since you like stats what you say about most unassisted 3pt shot attemps and highest usage rate in history

15. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

HI Clint! lol

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I say it was one of the most efficient offenses in the history of the NBA.

How you like them apples?

17. lionaire

lionaire Member

Everything is more fun when there's no pressure

MettaWorldPete and D-rock like this.
  18. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Very well said. I don’t need these HOF’s scoreboarding because we take a lot of threes. That’s going to happen, that’s the NBA.

It’s more about:

1. How we generate the looks (ball movement v. Dribble dribble, clank.

2. Empowering players to take a good open shot off ball or player movement, even if it is a pull up 2 for Wall or Dipo, or a mid-post shot for Wood. (Or Tate since he can apparently score on anyone)

Notice I didn’t say that threes are bad and we shouldn’t take them.

JayGoogle and Ramo$e like this.
  19. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

This thread has a lot to catch up on but I'll just say this....

Harden was Morey's grand prize. Kudos for him but Harden should have been our go to offense not our whole offense. It's too easy to narrow in on Harden during the playoffs. Seems like Morey's goal was showcasing Harden more than actually winning as a team. Harden did exactly what Morey asked. Morey didn't know basketball outside of his stats. He doesn't take in account bad leadership, and not being able to preform in crucial moments. Like I said before Rockets were just one big experiment for Morey.

macho GRANDE and T for 3 like this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

Okay? I dont see how that helps your point. If anything, he would be taking less threes with Harden here then.

But did he not post up here though? Being used as a floor spacer probably helped our offense, I believe we were top 10 that year.

Sure.

Because having the ball in Harden's hands was better. And if Dwight wasnt getting more post ups.....Im guessing Dmo woulndt either.

Okay. He's doing that right now. Silas has said that spacing is the most important thing for offense and how we use it. Woods is absolutely being used as a floor spacer here. He does that right now. Dantoni and Morey would have put him in his most efficient spots. Silas isnt running that many plays that are drastically different from Dantoni. We still run a lot of iso here. The only thing that would be differnt is that Woods woulndt be shooting long 2s.

We were an efficient shooting team. Chris Paul shot mid range here and so did Westbrook(blegh). Woods if efficient could shoot that floater. Wall should not be taking long twos because he sucks at them. Oladipo idk, I havent looked at the numbers. We still run Morey ball here. It doesnt add anything really. Silas has even said he doesnt like long 2s generally and that he would like them more to be taken in the clutch if they have to.

D-rock likes this.