1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

the consistency of Christian Wood

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Jan 30, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you are that guy.

LOL.

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

And you are the “fan” who looks to downplay a team on a five game win streak.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My thoughts exactly, I did not know how he would react without Harden feeding him so much but he has not gotten frustrated when he is not getting touches.

He is a keeper.

HP3, Patience, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

What about having Christian work with Hakeem like Clint did? It couldn't hurt. I guess that assumes Hakeem is around H-town.

BamBam, D-rock and palmsnbananas like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Downplay or just being realistic about the strength of teams we have beaten?

That has a good win last night I am starting to take notice.

HP3 likes this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

these guys should be in prison or at least in quarantine for not feeding Wilt Wood

D-rock likes this.
  7. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

and I do not

HP3, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

No, you really don't.

HP3 and palmsnbananas like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tilman does not have same relationship with Dream as Les does.

Dream was a team consultant under Morey.

That changed when Tilman bought team.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I can’t exactly figure out Cousins. He had a couple nice games, somehow, but it’s painful watching him move around on floor. I want to believe that he can eventually be really good for us (as a player), but I just don’t see it.

jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

If he isn't hitting his 3's then he is useless.

Especially on defense.

He may have reinjured himself because his mobility and verticality are even worse than it was from earlier in the season.

And season is less than 20 games in.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

:eek:

No you didn't.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s hard to calibrate, because Cousins was practically Embiid at one point and isn’t that guy anymore. He shows a glimpse on occasion, of that dominant skill set, but it’s gotta be frustrating for him too.

So far, he seems to have taken up helping Wood grow, and I’m all for that. He’s still a unique big from a playmaking perspective, and we don’t really have any alternatives (other than playing more Tate/Tucker at the 5).

I hope Silas can continue to balance it and limit his minutes on days when he doesn’t have it. Still, it’s not like there’s minutes that could be going to someone else, so might as well roll with it.

durvasa likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Fantastic player. This is what I hoped for when he came out of college. Unfortunately Wood was not strong enough mentally and physically back then and failed to latch on for one reason or another.

Good news is another team invested their money with “on the job training,” and now the Rockets are reaping the rewards when they obtained him this past offseason on a contract much less than his
    value will be. Harden was recruiting him and was probably coming to Houston for $10M as reported
    initially, then others forced the bidding higher.still a great bargain at $13M.

Now I want C Wood to grow into elite status by improving in the paint. Kevin Garnett was skinny as a toothpick
    but could hold his own in the paint on the offensive and defensive ends. Wood can become greater than Garnett
    as a result of the shooting touch from near the rim, mid range to 3-pt territory.

I would like Wood to view endless videos of Garnett fighting in confined space or in the paint. Swim moves, pushing,
    battling for position, anticipating being pushed off your mark or out of the play by a single arm/hand of defender
    as Wood is getting in position to set the screen.

I’m not much for Boogie Cousins because of his antics over the years of crying to refs, pushing opponents after
    the whistle, snow birding at the offensive end; but I will say Boogie can mix it up w/others in the paint. Boogie doesn’t let players tie him up or lock his arms down. Avoid getting caught under the rim as
    much on the defensive end.

Then he will be able to say, “it’s time to kick @$# and chew bubble gum.” — Duke Nukem
    Go ahead and be a bull in a china shop.....just don’t extend the elbows for full force pushing.

#54 ApacheWarrior, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

HAHAHAHAHA!

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. jogo

jogo Member

According to Nba.com, Wood has the most FGA against him of any player in the league (on avg with whatever filters) at 18.4 DFGA a game. He's holding opponents to -2.7% below their FG%, same as AD. Nba.com has his as a F so it's hard to compare him to other centers. Part of this is a function of the Rockets great defensive run, of which he both contributes to and benefits from.

Christian Wood HOU 25 F 14 14 100.0% 8.4 18.4 45.7 48.4 -2.7
    Anthony Davis LAL 27 F-C 17 17 100.0% 6.5 14.5 44.9 47.6 -2.7

I'm wondering if his defense would improve with a bigger man at center and letting Wood play the PF. Cousin is probably not healthy enough to start these days, so that might mean making a trade. On the other hand, I don't think I want to mess with the chemistry now. Going forward, is it better for him to be a PF or a C for the Rockets next year and the years after that?

D-rock likes this.
  17. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

When they get switch defense down, he’ll be in the right position most of the time as well as boxing out. KPJr. is dark horse though. He is like a mini Zion who got Kyrie handles and shot like Harden, and high motor. I’m prayin for his soul.

D-rock likes this.
  18. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Cousins is helping to space that floor with that 3pointer. Our second unit is really one of our strong suits. He brings that grit to Htown plus he and Wall are BFF’s. Chemistry is everything right now.

roslolian likes this.
  19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Great stats. I’m guessing they view him as our Center. If the idea was to pair him with a defensive center, we probably would have kept Jarrett Allen. I still think we should have, but that’s another discussion.

Williamson likes this.
  20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don’t get it. o_O