1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Not suggesting this trade, but look at the notes to explain why Feb. 2nd is when we can aggregate assets with Dipo.

https://tradenba.com/trades/2sHRLiUEA

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Bust it is!

Chasing_Chase likes this.
  3. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

I saw the notes from this site but I'm looking for something else stating that a player can be aggregated before 60 days AFTER a trade. Everywhere I've read states it's still 60 days. So far it's only this site saying February 2nd, Bimathug also said Oladipo can't be traded until early March on the podcast with Clutch. And even Bobby Marks (an expert in the CBA) stated in the tweet that VO couldn't be aggregated until March 7th. I have no problem admitting that I'm wrong but I'm going to need you to show me something else that's states a player can be traded before 60 days aggregated THIS SEASON.

4. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DD - read this article that @jordnnnn posted in a different thread. I think you'll enjoy it. Well written and easy to read. The "new way" you are talking about is actually tanking per the writer. The tanking that I think you are against is what the Rockets did in the 80's and Spurs did in the 90's which no one should be doing anymore.

Tanking is not the practice of losing as many games as possible in order to get a franchise savior in the NBA Draft. Tanking is the practice of rebuilding a roster by fully disassembling it, maximizing cap space, and collecting assets. And yes, sometimes "collecting assets" includes collecting what Houston GM Daryl Morey calls "the number one asset in the NBA" — a top-five pick on a rookie contract.

See the two lines I bolded. First from you, second is from the article.

luckyman76 and HP3 like this.
  5. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Man, how embarrassing for the OP.

hakeem94 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bust! Bust! Bust!

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  8. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Nah we ain't tanking OP.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Did we bust yet or is she still sucking?

JayGoogle likes this.
  10. CXbby

CXbby Member

On second thought let's keep this thread on the first page so the tankers can smell their own sht for a little longer.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

It would be an easier "i told ya so" for the Champagne Boys if we were actually beating contending/playoff caliber teams. Just sayin'.

If rubbing another ROX bro's nose in his opinion is the goal, then when the team loses to better teams is the same OK going back?

"everybody love everybody" -- Jackie Moon aka Tilman Fertitta

12. HP3

HP3 Member

Listen, Im happy people are happy but if you are gonna do this "I told you so" crap after every win than Im just gonna say this

We beat a bunch of low level teams and covid ridden teams, congratulations. Such an overreaction. This 6 game winnings streak does nothing at all for anyone to change their mind about "tanking. We beating the Lakers, no. Beating the Clippers, no. Beating the Jazz, no. Beating the Nuggets, no. Beating a healthy Blazers, no. Beating a healthy Suns...likely no....possibly but really no. If the Mavs actually start playing well, they have by far the best player on the court so that's a no too. Beating the Warriors ....., Curry and Draymond say no. Beating the Grizzlies.....maybe.

Honestly, we have a bunch of "I told you so" guys over here lol.

luckyman76 likes this.
  13. Houston77

Supporting Member

I'm guessing even if we beat those teams we listed, you'd find another excuse to downplay the win.

BamBam and SamCassell like this.
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

A hint for the tankers with low brain cell counts: in order to tank, we need to be a "low level team" ourselves. So "only" beating up on other low level teams means we still can't tank.

15. HP3

HP3 Member

If we beat any of those teams in the playoffs than I will relent my position. I enjoy the giddiness of the forums and all, its not a bad thing to see the Rockets win. But is people are gonna rub everyone's nose in it well 1. Its kind of being a dick and more importantly 2. We dont really know how we stack up against the better teams yet so all of this is premature.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Well I guess I was wrong about this thread. I still think we need to go to the draft well to find a franchise player and rebuild. I don’t think this is a contending team. But clearly we are gonna be at least a 500 team. I guess it was always unlikely that we’d be bad enough to get a top 4 pick, especially with Gordon and olidepo sticking around. I’m glad we are having success and especially for coach. The rockets are gonna have a tough decision to make at the deadline with Oledipo. I think they’ll need to either extend or trade him; can’t let him walk for nothing in the offseason.

sydmill and durvasa like this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

See this is what Im talking "loW leVEL braIN cells" gotta act like an arrogant prick to say your stupid opinion like there isnt legitimate ways to tank. We are like 3-4 games out of the bottom 4. I know we wont tank, but we should. Oladipo should be gone, Tucker well they dont have to trade him, let him stay in Silas system and have a happy tweak. Gordon can probably be traded right now without losing assets honestly. He's playing well. He's worth his contract that "SNAKE" Morey gave him. House, he can get traded for Assets too. Mason Jones one of are actual really young player needs more playing time anyways.

18. Houston77

Supporting Member

Why are people so afraid to call Christian Wood a franchise player? I’m not.

JayGoogle and BamBam like this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sign and trade also an option in the offseason.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

132 Players have been selected in the top 4 since David Robinson. 3 out 132 have helped the team that drafted them to a title before leaving. Duncan, Kyrie (with a huge assist from LeBron pity), and Darko (LOL). That's a lot of f**king failure to be such a failproof option.

With players coming in so young, and getting disgruntled so easily in the modern NBA, a top pick isn't nearly the clear option it was back in the day. The vast majority of the time you get bad, and stay bad. If you do draft a star, it's 5 years before he's ready to actually lead you to anything. At which point he's developed bad habits from losing and is b****ing about how he can't win with these cats.

Superteams in big markets are a horrific fact of the modern NBA, the best option for everybody else is to make yourself a situation stars want to be in. A lot of the best players in the league were not high picks.