1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Forget our playoff chances -- no real fan should ever root for their team to tank

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SuperMarioBro, Jan 30, 2021.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Exactly. I’d like to see how we look against some good teams. We’re barely beating bad teams. If we just look like first round fodder, I’m against maxing Dipo and I wouldn’t be mad at all if we traded Dipo, Gordon, Tucker, and House Jr to the highest bidders for younger players, expirings, and draft picks. I’d still watch every game to see what guys like Wood, Tate, Mason Jones, Wall, Martin Jr, and Porter Jr could do.

I wonder...would Wall want to be traded if we got rid of all those vets? That would be ironic.

HP3 and Plowman like this.
  2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

thats some revisionist history...

Lowry was traded bc he was at odds w McHale... something Lowry has since said was his bad...
    Dragic wanted a player option... which at the time DM was not inclined to give...
    Meanwhile we did the poison pill contract to get Lin... Signed Asik to an offer sheet...
    iirc this was right after 'basketball reasons trade' trying to trade the Lowry poo poo platter for Pau - with the intent to then sign Nene to a fat contract...

There was no tanking afoot - Les would not have allowed it...

jus sayin...

BamBam likes this.
  3. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

This is one of those assumptions about Morey. Is it documented that he ever said this?

BamBam likes this.
  4. Mister Beard

Mister Beard Member

OP is an idiot. Even in a regular year the expected return of a top3 pick vs a 14/15 pick is worth tanking in the minds of statistician and savvy GM. But this year is especially different because you are looking at a top4 pick or nothing. Revenue in these covid ravaged environment is low anyway and there's no better year to tank and have the interest aligned from a fan and ownership perspective.

You are being freakin dumb because as a fan you should absolutely want to root for tanking. Not tanking is more beneficial to the owners than you if you are a true fan.

HP3 likes this.
  5. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

This team has a combination of good players and draft picks. Can a smart GM turn that into a contender? Why not? That seems no more risky than stripping it all down, becoming a bottom-dweller and trying to build one through the draft.

bumbum09 and BamBam like this.
  6. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I mean Cavs tanked and got Lebron... Spurs tanked and got Duncan... Cavs tanked and got Kyrie... Rockets tanked and got Ralph Sampson then Hakeem...

bumbum09, HP3, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  7. Hesitation

Hesitation Member

with the new lottery odds its harder to get a #1 pick. in the end..i dont care if we tank or not. i will always root for the team.

BamBam likes this.
  8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm a better fan than you are because I'll watch the team if they get even worse.

/nanananabooboo

HP3 likes this.
  9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Not sure if you’re in favor of tanking or stating facts...

Yes, the Rockets did tank 35yrs ago. After tanking we were fortunate to get our “Twin Towers”, especially Olajuwon, who had a longer career with greater success! Ironically, we still had to wait a whole decade before Dream brought us our first championship, and in that decade we almost lost him because he also wanted to get traded!

It sounds eerily familiar with Harden (I know we didn’t draft him) who was with us for 8yrs an also demanded a trade! My point is this, if we were to tank there is no guarantee that we will eventually get another chip nor that the player we draft and pin our hopes on decides he wants to get traded to a city with bigger lights during the team maturity process or that he suffers career altering injuries ala Sampson!

I truly respect any posters opinion about wanting to tank, and I would change my opinion on the matter if there was hardcore evidence that by doing so we would have at least a 70-80% chance of eventually winning a chip, but in reality it’s truly a roll of the dice...

I’ll probably get flamed for bringing their names into Clutchfans, but Utah’s Malone/Stockton were both drafted by Salt Lake City, both are Hall of Famer’s who played together almost their entire career’s and both have no championships to their names.

If the Rockets decide to tank, so be it, I’ll still be here rooting for them, I just don’t think it’s worth it the gamble...

DeBeards likes this.
  10. StevieCrossover

i'd tank 1 year to get a Lebron James type player. Every team should play competively to win. It ruins the game to tank and does a disservice to the fans rooting for their home team.

kjayp likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We get a pick. If its top 4 we keep ours and our obligation to OKC is removed. If we are not top 4 we get the worst out of Miami, OKC, and our pick. I am not for trying to lose games on purpose. I am a proponent of trading any asset other than Wood, Tate, Brown, Jones to get future assets. Even trading Dipo, Gordan, and House will not guarantee we are bad. in this year's NBA this team can compete with most teams without those 3. OKC outright owns Miami's pick and they can swap either their own or the Miami pick for ours. We may end up with a better record than both even after making trades, so we would keep our own pick.

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

There have been no "home grown" championships since the 2015 Warriors (selecting Curry #7 in 2009). This is a free agent, player empowerment league now.

Get this - the last top-4 lottery pick who led the team drafting him to the championship? 2011 - Kyrie and Tristan Thompson (how many do they win if Lebron doesn't decide he wants to win one in his home town?). Before that? Tim Duncan in 1997. (And the one before that was David Robinson in 1987, who didn't win a title until the Spurs added Duncan a decade later).

I understand the allure of the hope a top-4 draft pick provides. There's the faintest chance that the guy you're picking is going to be the next superstar. You feel like the team is being built organically and you get to watch a 19-year-old kid mature and improve year to year. Competing for a championship yields one winner and a bunch of losers every year - but a team choosing to be purposefully bad for lottery position can always be a "winner" at that game.

But the reality is, the NBA is not MLB or the NFL. Building a champion through landing a top-4 pick has proven effective exactly twice since 1984. And one of those required the happy coincidence of Lebron being born in Akron and wanting to return home.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if a team's team name was "The Tank" and you were rooting for the tank, would you be a real fan?

14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Oh good another guy talking about what "real fans" are and aren't allowed to do. Real fans want the team to succeed and can root for that to happen in whatever way they want.

vator, HP3 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  15. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

he tried then he got Harden

16. dmoneybangbang

There are no full proof strategies.... just employing the right strategy and the right time....

Is the right time to bottom out when you just lost your superstar and got back picks + an expiring contract? Yes.

Do you do that indefinitely, no.

sydmill likes this.
  17. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

The only thing I know of is that when we lose, I get super cranky and curse at eric or danuel and think about tanking for about an hour. Does that make me not a fan OP?

18. sydmill

sydmill Member

Preach!!!

Mathloom and HP3 like this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Then stop thinking of it a top 4 pick but high draft picks..... Has talent stopped being concentrated higher in the draft?