1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans hire David Culley as Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 27, 2021.

?

Do you like the hire of David Culley?

Poll closed Jan 27, 2023.
  1. YES

10.9%
  2. NO

89.1%
  1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Exactly.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Cal finna have co-co-co head coaches. Take that, rest of the nfl. 3 heads better than one.

#hailhydra

3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Oh wow...

https://www.baptistpress.com/resource-library/news/chicago-bears-lovie-smith-underscores-his-faith/

I want BoB back since he attended the Rice Catholic Student Center...

...that being said, there is a difference between true faithfulness and putting up a show. I respect Lovie enough that I don't think he is putting up a show.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

On 610 today McClain said Devlin was in charge of our run game last year. So now we know why it fell off a ****ing cliff.

He also said Devlin wouldn't be here next year. Clint asked if that was confirmed or his opinion, he said confirmed. So we got that win atleast

5. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

Best Texans related news I’ve heard in awhile

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

It starts from the top and they've haven't been telling us or the players the truth period plus their not changing. In 2020 there was a huge cultural change that took place and elevation within society and business in general. Texans obviously didn't keep up with those trends and don't care... now it's time for them to get exposed. Texans say all they say for a good image to maximize revenue... I understand that it is what it is but don't push this honesty and communication narrative when you know all you do as an organization his set up smokescreens and do your real dirt behind them. Miss me with the bs.

#527 Cstyle42, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Man I’m just telling you the truth. The Texans brought Lovie Smith in to interview for DC before they had even hired a HC. They wanted him because of who he is as a person. The McNair family has been enamored with him for years. You’ll recall that they considered making him HC when they hired Obrien.
    Lovie Smith is a deeply religious man of high character. I don’t say that as an insult at all. The McNair family likes him for that reason.

Rudyc281 and Pringles like this.
  9. Pringles

Pringles Member

It is a shame - it feels like only yesterday when Johnathan Joseph was saying how much he loved how the Texans treated their players compared to the Bengals earlier in his career.

Chilly_Pete, Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Not sure how David Culley will coach but he had a great impression with me on his press conference. I think he will do well

11. justtxyank

There is only one allegation of poor treatment of a player and that is Watsons alleged being lied to about getting say in GM situation that is all over the place.

Beyond that you have players who were traded by BOB who can’t get the organization out of their mouth.

the Texans are a bad organization because they make bad decisions not because they don’t treat players well

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. justtxyank

Here’s some stuff from Baltimore paper about Culley before Texans hired him:

Nook likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If he can be the “captain” so to speak and have strong coordinators, I could see it working. OB style of hard nose always on you runs thin fast. Specially without success.
    I see him as the Pete Carroll way of head coach.

14. Major

Major Member

You have an ex-player-legend that criticized the organization, you have reporting that Watt and others support Watson, you have reporting that Watson was speaking for a lot of the players in the names players wanted interviewed (meaning all of those people were ignored). As you said you have traded players that can't stop talking about the Texans - how often does that happen when players are traded from other organizations? Do you hear Khalil Mack or Jalen Ramsey always talking about their former teams? You don't go out of your way to speak out against organizations for a bunch of losing seasons and the like - you do it because you were personally angry/hurt/etc.

What exactly do you expect? A bunch of players on non-guaranteed contracts speak out publicly against an organization known to be vindictive?

You have to be pretty naive to ignore the massive amount of evidence on one side of this issue and instead that their treatment of players is a non-issue.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Nah Arian Foster has been critical of the Texans, Andre Johnson as well. There have been others as well, it is just too early in the morning for me to dive in. We also have Hopkins and Kenny Stills.

The Texans have had their fair share of players complain about the organization.

DVauthrin likes this.
  16. justtxyank

Good article from when Ravens hired him
    https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-...rong-impression-can-he-make-a-difference.html

TheFreak likes this.
  17. justtxyank

Andre Johnson didn't say the Texans treat their players poorly.

The Texans organization is stupid I don't deny that.

To expand:

I think Cal has communication issues in general. He has...issues...from what I can see.

And we had a head coach who was an AHole for 7 years. I don't think any of that is institutional.

I am 100% confident with Caserio/Culley/and his staff that player treatment/communication is not going to be an issue for this organization. Whether they can do their jobs well is an entirely different conversation.

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

He seems like a really swell guy. I’ve never seen anyone happier to get a job. It’s like he was almost in shock.

19. Major

Major Member

If someone is willing to do this treat their front office staff members like this, why would we think it would be any different with players?

When SI published its original story on Easterby’s unusual rise to power and ensuing chaos for the Texans on Dec. 10, many outside the building found the details to be troubling, but few inside were surprised. If the unflattering portrayal did cause Easterby to reflect on his actions, there was no indication to colleagues. Instead, he sought to smoke out or intimidate people he believed had spoken to SI.

According to three sources, Easterby told multiple people inside the building that he had sued, or planned to sue, SI for defamation, and had therefore been provided with a list identifying all sources for that story. That is untrue: SI has not been notified of any lawsuit nor disclosed the identity of any of its sources.

CometsWin and DVauthrin like this.
  20. Major

Major Member

You seem to want a very specific statement and otherwise treat it like there's no evidence of it. Andre Johnson was on the "advisors" committee and has a good relationship with the organization. You don't go on full blast against them unless you feel they are personally treating you poorly. It has to be intensely personal for people like that to come out and say the things he said. Given all the evidence in sum of the different people that have been treated poorly within the organization - from Johnson to the front office people I mentioned in my previous post to ex-players who've been removed for culture-fit issues - you're saying you honestly believe the Texans treat their players well?