1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Protestors show up at Robinhood

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Jan 29, 2021.

1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'd say short selling can definitely hurt a company a lot. For example, if a company is hurting anyway, losing money and having a considerable amount of debt, and then the short sellers come in and drive the price to the basement, which means that selling the stock becomes useless(you won't get any money) and any outside financial institutions/creditors will watch your company's stock having gone off the cliff, thus they would be much less likely to give them a loan as well.

Gamestop had a path to recover. They just had a new CEO who is trying to create a more viable online business model. That type of new direction requires investment and taking out loans. They can't do that or it becomes considerably harder when a hedge fund short sells 140% of their stocks.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I don't care what lie they say. They are aholes.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Blockbuster still has stock????
    Holy Soundwarehouse !

They should actually try to save Fuddruckers

pgabriel, jiggyfly and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, if a company needs cash that short selling could potentially hurt their ability to secure additional financing - you are right.

But none of that changes that GameStop is built on a dying business model as the industry moves increasingly towards digital downloads. I think GameStop's online effort will be as successful as Blockbuster's online business.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They are retooling their brand around site based entertainment and e-sports they will be wildly successful if they can raise the capital they need and build the right subscription based CLUB model.

I actually nearly took a gig with them recently to help them re-org....still might at some point.

DD

saitou and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Won't somebody think of the billionaires?!?!

The housing crisis is a great comparison point because all the billionaires talking about needing protection now were all screaming for letting the market take its course and were up in arms about protecting lending institutions and working class people who got stuck with upside down mortgages because of "the unfortunate necessity of letting the market find its own equilibrium" or whatever self serving argument they were using to make sure they got paid.

Protecting them here is the exact opposite of everything they were screaming was totally necessary back then.

8. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

It’s a direct response to your comment.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Russian name....story checks out.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well in that case I am honored..

tinman likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I get it people want to stick it to the hedge funds but I'm not sure it's worth it to prop up a company that is likely to fail anyway. I really hope the people jumping in on this aren't committing big chunks of their savings to this.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So, not just Robinhood, but Interactive Brokers, Charles Schwab, Ameritrade and others that restricted trading (you can sell, but not acquire new position). It's also not limited to GameStop. AMC, Nokia, Blackberry, ... are also limited. They have also beefed-up margin requirements (of course they would).

The conspiracy theorists think they are all out to protect the big guys instead of understanding what possible reasons for all of them to take similar actions. Maybe it has something to do with risk to themselves, duh.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yea, but apparently, we are into mob buying and some people think it's good. Yes, it's up to individuals to risk everything, but how many of them actually understand the risk? When a bunch of these newbie come crying about huge losses, Congress will be demanding new regulation on retail brokerages for not stating the risk clearly enough to them.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Knowing newbie investors, a number of them are buying on margins and risking everything they have. It might just be 10-20k, but that's everything they got. Some of them even borrow on credit. SMDH.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is the kind of stuff that makes me uneasy about things like this. Too often stuff like this get's put into a simplistic of hedge funds bad, Reddit small cap investors good. Or worse pumping stocks up as part of some wild ride like something out of Boiler room really could leave a lot of people in trouble.

16. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

+1 low share price hurts talent retention and can hurt the interest rate you borrow at as well.

17. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

hard to justify current share price, but i really doubt gamestop will go bust. they've got a reasonable biz plan, add to that zirp and ability to issue shares they will be around for a loong time imo. It's really hard for businesses which are much worse than gamestop to go away these days - hertz and freaking fraudsters at wirecard are still operating.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

19. MexAmercnMoose

Unless ur a WSB redditor, u won't understand the real reasons to buy and hold the line, it's about principalities....most of the people buying have already been in the red...it's not about losing money, they are used to it lulz

Milk Haiir and Space Ghost like this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know you know who Hakeem is
    And would never say dumb stuff like Harden or Tmac was even close to him

This is a Rockets site so I only respect real Rockets fans
    Especially contributing members not freeloaders

the fake fans are dirt

rocketsjudoka likes this.