1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ScheftBomb! Watson formally requests trade

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Best they can potentially

San Fran

Jimmy G
    Bosa
    12th pick
    Future picks

Bears
    Foles
    Mack
    Picks

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

What are you going to do? Get on your knees and beg him to play? Also if he were to play, you think he would give 110% for a city that he dont care for anymore?

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I’m good without those. Maybe if San Fran threw in their second this year and 1st and 2nd next

BMoney and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Cal would nut on himself with the chance to get a Super Christian AND a rabid maga guy in one deal! That San Fran package makes too much damn sense for everybody. Is it the best deal possible? No.

it would be so easy to root for Deshaun as a 49er odd as it may seem.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Problem with future picks - both of those teams are 10+ wins with Watson - those future picks have significantly less value. If they deal with a "good" team, they need more up front.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Which is why I hope the reports of the Jets are true

Sooty, Rudyc281 and texans1095 like this.
  7. Victorious

Victorious Member

Got to laugh to keep from crying

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Cute... but unlike basketball, there will be no way to “half-ass” it in the NFL.

That’s when players get hurt and careers end. Can happen in practice, pre-season, or real games. If they’re still at a total impasse, and he hasn’t been traded, its far more likely he just doesn’t show up and pays the fines.

BigM, TWS1986, Bobbythegreat and 2 others like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Starting to lose a lot of sympathy for Watson here. You signed a god damn contract 4 ****ING MONTHS AGO.

If this continues for a long period of time and he gets traded, Watson is going to turn into enemy number 1 for Houston sports fans. Can you imagine the reception he's going to have returning to NRG when the crowds are back if he's traded?

Just completely throwing the Houston fan base under the bus.

11. Victorious

Victorious Member

Relax Its a joke lol

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would love for that to become "retired athlete"

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Would really depend on what the future picks are with SF. They will be low first rounders for sure, but if there were enough of them and Bosa, (don't want Jimmy G), I'd consider it. Bosa is one of the best defensive players in the league, pretty much like getting the top pick of a draft. We will suck without a QB and have our own picks back next year. I really don't believe SF will give up Bosa though.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. mario_v

mario_v Member

He wants the fans to turn on him. Makes it easier to leave.

napalm06, Chilly_Pete and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Texans should sign Kaepernick so at the press conference Cal's opening statement can be, see I'm not a racist.

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

That’s a dumb ass idea if I’ve ever heard one

body slam likes this.
  17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Well go pray with Jack Easterby it happens.

awc713 and dookiester like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Can we talk a little bit about what Cal McNair is about to do to the NFL, and the leverage owners have had over players for roughly 100 years?

I would be FASCINATED to know what the NFL league office and other owners are thinking about the Watson/Texans standoff.

Every 8-10 years, the owners and players negotiate multi-billion dollar CBA agreements, where the owners are trying (and succeeding) to maintain leverage over players through the salary cap, franchise tag, penalties over holdouts, etc. etc.

If a 25 year old QB forces his way out of an NFL team, it's a Crossing the Rubicon moment. It's never happened before in NFL history, and it would be almost solely due to Cal McNair's inability to properly run an NFL franchise

if the Texans trade Deshaun Watson, it sets a major precedent. I don't expect it to happen often, but if it happens once, it will happen again with another young QB

The Texans already screwed the rest of the NFL by allowing Bill O'Brien to make the incredibly impulsive Laremy Tunsil trade, getting hammered in the contract negotiation, and completely re-setting the market for left tackles in the league, which other teams now have to deal with.

It's one thing for Jalen Ramsey and Jamal Adams, two star DBs, to force themselves out of losing situations. A QB is way, way, way bigger than that.

If Watson wins this standoff, it makes one owner very happy, but Cal McNair would have basically destroyed what NFL owners have built and desperately maintained for a long, long time.

And I think there's a conversation that needs to be had about how exactly it is that Cal McNair is "qualified" to own the Houston Texans.

The culture is so bizarre that people are discussing the following questions behind the scenes:

If the Texans trade Watson to the Jets, would they be able to even draft Justin Fields, another David Mulugheta client?

Would they draft Zach Wilson, a good prospect but one who is Mormon?

I would really like to know, big picture, how it is that Bob and Janice McNair chose Cal to be the one to take over the Texans.

I don't know who this Cary McNair guy is, but his bio seems way better than Cal's - https://www.mcnair.com/cary-mcnair/

I've been super critical of Tilman Fertitta and still have never met a human being who likes working for him, but by comparison, at least the Rockets have seemingly hired a good coach and promoted a GM who's made 2 pretty interesting deals.

If the Texans trade Watson, I'm genuinely wondering how radioactive this situation in Houston could become. Will other people follow Andre Johnson in being vocally critical of Cal, on the record? Will guys like Tunsil/Cunningham/Cooks also ask out?

#1058 J.R., Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Nah... Cal did that.

dookiester and Fulgore like this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

More than one person can be wrong on something.