1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ScheftBomb! Watson formally requests trade

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 28, 2021.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Delirious part of me hopes that Watson likes Houston enough for the Texans situation to somehow still be repairable. Maybe the formal trade request was just a necessary power move calculated by him and his agent.

All I know is, in the event that Cal does if fact lose Watson, I (and I'm sure the vast majority of Texans fans) will finally be done with this organization. The support from past years ~20 years will not be there. NRG will look more and more like Toyota Center, quarter full and quiet as hell. So sad as the city of Houston really is an incredible football town. But this will be the last straw for most I anticipate.

Cal's response to the fans has been nothing short of cowardly. His nepotism shows in full colors as he cannot even address the conflict in the room. He hasn't addressed it at all! His response to Andre, citing his take as just passion, is insulting. Ending the "press conference" with a softball fan-question "what is there to be excited for" and ignoring the 13 media members...it's not just embarassing at this point, it's offensive. Screw Cal and this organization if the situation with Deshaun is in fact irreparable. The city of Houston deserves so much better than this ********.

Xenon, Roc Paint, Cold Hard and 16 others like this.
  2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Respectfully, I disagree.

Habits are hard to break - the overwhelming majority of fans will stick around. Sure, the casuals might leave for a spell. The rest will find something interesting in the trade pieces that we receive back... and possibly an exciting young QB like Wilson or Fields.

ROXRAN likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Bingo. The loss of dhop and the jokes of the moves this year were already taking a hit. Watson will indeed have nrg like the TC

Sooty likes this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

LMAO. Posters that post too much arguing with posters that post too much about posting too much.

pugsly8422, TWS1986, mikol13 and 6 others like this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

Valid take. Houston is a football town. There may always be a segment of Houston who will (be drunk and dumb enough to) support the Cal McNair Texans no matter what the organization does. Like countless others on this board, I've sworn in the past that I was done with them. That said, I do think this would be the last straw for many fans. And at this point, I think the Texans are likely to lose more than just "casual" fans (fans like myself, who have invested a *ton* of time in the organization).

While some fans may stick around, I suspect the majority of the fanbase will be so off-put by **literally everything** at this point that they will never spend another dime on anything Texans-related. If Watson leaves, I think a big segment of Houston will 100% stop watching the Texans outside of whenever they pop up on RedZone. This was the first year since the Texans existence where I really enjoyed my Sundays without the Texans. It was incredible--football season is the best weather time of the year in Houston! The majority of fans won't waste their Sundays anymore with this organization when Watson leaves. It would be different if the Texans weren't objectively wholly inept, but they are. This is not akin to Kawhi leaving the Spurs, or, say, Springer going to the Blue Jays for the most $$$. The Texans have become the laughing stock, and one of the(if not the) worst-run organization in sports. They do not know how to draft, develop, and keep players necessary to win, and they haven't done anything to change that reality. Even if the some segment of the fans don't fully quit on them, I think the odds are high that most fans leave.

#1025 awc713, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

To undo the damage done by bill o brien maybe it’s best to send off Watson and get a crapload of talented picks , as much as I love Watson , we are crap even with him, the best NFL passer needs surrounding pieces and we simply have too many problems with personnel

houston19519, 3Rings and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Fans will always return to winners; if they can somehow build something meaningful, they'll be back. I mean, the Astros lost 400+ games over a four-year stretch and every one came back *hard* for that group.

But if the interim is, you know 6-8-win purgatory... I think *that's* where you might genuinely see some erosion among the fan base. Fans "understand" being bad and they'll support you being good. If that's in-between where the rubber hits the road and I think the Texans might see an impact.

Nook, snowconeman22 and awc713 like this.
  8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We'll be lucky to in 6 games even if Watson stays.

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Btw, very impressed with the new head coach from the press conference. What a difference from bill

houston19519 likes this.
  10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I wonder if Bob McNair would have allowed any of these blunders? What an absolute disaster Cal has been.

3Rings and conquistador#11 like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You'll get there!

TWS1986 likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Probably not. He was conservative but he wouldn't be fooled by people like Easterby. He was a competent human who knew how to run a organization unlike his spoonfed son.

13. T for 3

T for 3 Member

That’s pretty much my thought, too. What about the Hopkins deal? I lean no, but not sure.

A definite no on the firing of that head of PR.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm pretty confident Hopkins being traded was instigated by Easterby. He didn't fit the "culture". Too many "baby mamas". So no I don't think Hopkins would have been traded. And if he was, we would have at least gotten a first round ****ing pick.

#1034 fchowd0311, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Me:
    2600 posts/7 years=about 350 a year..

*this reply was just to start boosting my rookie numbers, please disregard*

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Let's be honest... Harden and Watson have been communicating with each other for years. They were both stars living in the same city. They talk.

There's no coincidence both players have requested trades within 60 days after already communicating for a thousand of days.

Also, Cal dropped the ball with his ill-mannered direct interaction with Shine.

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Watson is close with Vick and they are doing the versus tonight.

Vick happened to play in Philly when Culley was there.

I wonder if Vick had good things to say about Culley to Watson.

18. awc713

awc713 Member

“He was some low level coach so I have no idea who he is” - vick, probably

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articl...ation-deshaun-watson-suggests-49ers-good-fit/

"I'm going to have a conversation with [Watson] later on today," Vick told FS1's Nick Wright as he filled in for Colin Cowherd on The Herd. "We just spoke about it a few minutes ago, and we're going to talk about it, just in totality.

"But look, if I'm his agent, I'm pushing to get with the best team. I'm looking to get with the San Francisco 49ers or the Chicago Bears. Need some defense, need some weapons. Those teams are short of a quarterback, and a deal can be made [for Watson]."

Vick notes that 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan knows how to get the best out of his quarterbacks, which should appeal to an exciting player like Watson.

"Kyle was doing it with Jimmy G. He got it done with him," Vick added. "They appeared in the Super Bowl. He was even doing it with Nick Mullens. So, to get a guy like Deshaun, it just enhances everything, and now you can just take it a step further. You've got weapons, you can stretch the field, you can run the football, and then you can play defense.

"Half of that team was hurt, and they still were competitive this year. So I know for a fact if [Watson] goes there, then he can compete (on the level) with Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson and those guys who are going to be representing the AFC in the future."

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is bullshit. Those teams have nothing to offer in terms of draft capital. Very few players to attach either.

Caesar and Rudyc281 like this.