1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Calm Down] Sitting at .471 and only 1.5 game back to the division lead!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Jan 28, 2021.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

what if lebron is injured? its time of pandemics anything can happen...heat would have beaten lebron if not for the injuries last year...its never a perfect situation.. you always need a couple of breaks and then some...

roslolian and D-rock like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  3. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I agree.

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

7-10 play-in tournament here we come!

D-rock and saleem like this.
  5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

because tanking only helps OKC. even if we have the worst record in the league the odds are 50/50 that we get a top 4 pick.

D-rock and roslolian like this.
  6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if he won't extend then yes we have to trade him by the deadline to get value. the reason to extend is that he is likely the best player we could hope to sign with that money in FA anyway, and if he's locked in with rockets under the tax we can either trade Exum's expiring for more immediate help and push into the playoffs or let him come off the books and use the full NTMLE again next summer. we could be a playoff team over the next few years. maybe a second round team?

why is that better than tanking?

because even if we get the worst record there is still only a 50/50 shot at a top 4 pick. so good chance we only help OKC, no big name FA will sign with the worst team in the league, we will establish a losing culture.

why push for the playoffs if there is no chance to contend for a title?

its more fun to watch a winning team than a losing team. establish a winning culture. you don't hurt your draft position by winning since OKC owns our drafts and we own the nets'. prove you are a team of #2 and #3 options with a great playoff proven coach and the #1 guy might just want to sign with you!

in short, tanking only gives us a 50/50 chance to even keep our own pick. then look at the odds that the top 4 picks become an all star (not MVP, generational talent, just all star at least once): 1st pick = 63%, 2nd = 40%, 3rd = 56%, 4th = 33%. so 50/50 that we keep the pick, then about 50/50 again depending on where we draft. so we're talking about blowing a whole season, for a 25% chance at a 1 time all star? become a winning team, prove you have the coach, the #2 guy, the #3 guy, the role players, and then open up the cap space for the #1 guy and you'll have a chance. I say make the playoffs during the wall, Oladipo (if he extends), and wood years for the next 3 years, use the NTMLE each year to push forward into being a second round team. then they all come off the books and you can be a top FA destination.

7. HP3

HP3 Member

those nets pick dont matter for awhile.

Also we get to keep our pick next year so there is no reason not to be in bottom 4. We are also not FA destination.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

We dont get our pick unless we are a top 4 worst team and even then its a 50-50 to get a top 4. Everybody who wants to tank should look at the odds first of the Rox keeping their pick.

Plus you the big dumb dumb if you wanna break up this tim RN.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Mr Positivity in the house. If Rox thought like this dude they wouldnt have a 6 game streak RN lol.

mario_v likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Just in time to cash in with Dipo and Gordon playing well ;)

11. HP3

HP3 Member

Imma about the bigger picture. Yall can be mad, but it is what it is.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you all about the bigger picture you wouldnt advocate to gut the team, lose value and then possibly give the pick to OKC. Hurting yourself to benefit your opponent isnt looking at the big picture at all.

13. HP3

HP3 Member

Oladipo should not resign here, he should be traded. Gordon.....if he keeps this up is absolutely worth his contract. PJ is likely gone as well. Lose what value? Tucker and Oladipo likely can be traded for value right now. See you are so sure we are giving the pick to OKC, I disagree. I like a coin flip odds. Its fine, we've been through this many times.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the reason not to be bottom four is:

1) draft is super hit or miss. these are your odds of drafting a 1 time all star or better: 1st pick = 63%, 2nd = 40%, 3rd = 56%, 4th = 33%. odds drop off as you move down.
    2) we will not become a FA destination, even for NTMLE guys
    3) we will establish a losing culture.

building through the draft is not easy. you don't always draft 3 straight MVPs like the thunder did. Hinkie tried it, Embiid, Simmons, sure... what about fultz, saric, and all the years of losing. the trick is to stay competitive while you reload.

the nets made the playoffs with no stars. that attracted 2 stars and now a 3rd. the heat made the playoffs with no stars then added jimmy, made the finals, and almost added Giannis.

if we stay competitive we WILL BE a FA destination even if we are not one right now. make the playoffs and you will land a top NTMLE guy next summer. make the second round and you will have stays who want to come, make the WFC and you will have superstars who want to come.

D-rock likes this.
  15. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

All this tank talk is for nothing if we have a better record than the Heat. I'm starting to come around on anti-tank, but I will be very torn at the deadline.

I thought the FO's biggest decision was to tank or not. If the Rockets continue to surprise, then holding on to Tucker and Oladipo at the deadline will be the biggest decision. This team may be in a spot to get out of the first round, but that won't be the case if we get picks for production. Also, maybe the Rockets get something for Wall? I can see Tillman being stupid and giving up assets to ship him out at the deadline as well.

Combine both of those issues and there is a massive conflict of interest in trading Oladipo to Miami at the deadline as well.

D-rock likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

1. Thats why you got through 2-3 drafts, look at Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix. Though Phoenix is a bad organzation tbh.
    2. We are not a FA destination period, that's not gonna change imo.
    3. Culture can be rebuilt. Its not some unshakable thing. I would rather be Dallas and Philly than us.

Hinkie was interrupted and was replaced with Congelo and Brand, than Morey came and fixed it. He would have drafted Tatum as well. Hinkie is the best example of it working out.

New York and Miami my dude. We are not them. And the Heat dont look so hot right now.

I appreciate the opitimism man but the way the league is right now, we aren't getting out of the first round. And I dont see us being that much better in the next three years. We are also not a FA destination like LA or New York. If stuff like Culture mattered, than San Antonio/Indiana would have gotten a ton of FA.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Tucker should be gone no matter what IMO, we got too many mouths to feed and he dederves fo be on a contender.

Rox wont ship out Wall cuz we need salary next season due to all the expiring and no team will trade for him he is one of the worst contracts in the league alongside WB. There is no big name free agent worth clearing the cap for next year. My opinion if things continue as they are Rox are gonna keep and extend Dipo while still trading PJ at the deadline. How long Dipo gets extended depends on Stone's nego skills if it sucks itll be something like 4 yrs 30M. If its decent gonna be 2 yrs less than 30M each. If its great its gonna be 4 yrs 25M which I think is great value for Dipo.

ksny15 likes this.
  18. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I’ll risk that too 4 pick. Again, let me see how they play against Lakers, Denver, and Nets. Memphis gonna be a good test.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets are now 8th and counting.

Keep that win streak going!

GO ROCKETS!!!

T for 3 likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nets helped out.

D-rock likes this.