1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

You dont know how to math. It is 52% to keep our pick with a bottom 4 record. Its not dumb. God...you guys just love mediocrity over here. You trade Gordon, Tucker and Oladipo by the deadline, you will get value, good lord.

sydmill likes this.
  2. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

people are dumb ...

This team has won 4 in a row playing shitty teams... it’s fools gold ... I’m hoping we’re really going the most aggressive approach here, and the most aggressive approach Is to pretend you’re trying to compete to bring up player value and to maximize leverage...

Let’s hope that’s the case right now-
    Stone can fix all of this with a couple of moves...
    Due to how the draft lottery is now constructed, you don’t have to be the worst team in the league... We just need to finish In the back three. I still think that is the goal

HP3 and sydmill like this.
  3. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Glass half Empty don’t you say ??

whats your game plan ?
    Run this dumpster fire out there and pray they over achieve and some how make the first round interesting ?

then what ?

Free agents aren’t coming here!
    None of these players really have any ability to improve And make a difference!

you win In this league with stars ... that’s it .... where are they ??? Wood, Victor , Wall are all not even top 40 NBA players ....

So what’s your game plan?

just to try really hard blindly.... You take no risk and you gain no rewards

Atleast Going after a top 4 pick this year gives you hope... And if you have the ability to evaluate talent correctly And Can string together A nice young core

all of a sudden we would be in a position to be a free agent destination again with Cap Space- This is the way

Your examples are all terrible organizations what about when the spurs did it for Duncan...

Or how Golden State drafted three great players and then signed two great players

HP3 and sydmill like this.
  4. CXbby

CXbby Member

The spurs did it once 20 years ago. Are they tanking right now?

We have negative assets on the roster right now in Wall and Gordon. The plan is to be competitive, make the playoffs and show the nba that Wall is back to the Allstar he once was, and Gordon is back to the 6th man winner he was. Then you can ship them for actual assets like OKC did with CP3.

What's YOUR plan? How do you become a bottom 4 team, because the one we have now ain't it. And then after you somehow become this dumpster of a team what happens in the 50% chance that we lose it to okc? Just waste a year and try again? Do you even have any concept of what 50% means? Would you bet your life on 50%? Because maybe that would give you a better idea of how odds work in the real world. Your plan is great if you want to drive the team to Seattle or some other expansion city, great job!

JayGoogle and blahblehblah like this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I used to be a big proponent of tanking, but I think even if we somehow trade Oladipo and Gordan before the end of the season we still will have a chance at the playoffs or very late lottery pick. Miami is such a dumpster fire, if we don't trade them Oladipo soon they won't be interested at the trade deadline. If we keep Oladipo we will probably have a better record than both Miami and OKC and will keep our own mediocre pick. Best scenario to me is to trade Oladipo for as many FRP that you can as close to Feb. 2nd as possible. Not necessarily to tank, but to get something for him. He won't re-sign here for less than max or close to it and we should be playing our youngsters to truly see what we have. Tucker is playing so bad we probably won't be able to trade him for a first and I still don't think we will get assets back for Gordan.

6. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

VO can't be traded until March 4th I believe. I'm on the fence about Vic as well but I understand that this is a 2 month rental at the very least. I want to see where this goes, we already have the #1 ranked defense since the Harden trade, and Oladipo seems to like it here. Maybe both VO and the Rockets will both want to continue the relationship past March, maybe they won't. To me it just depends on so many factors. How the Rockets are playing, our record, team chemistry, Oladipo's thoughts, and what the market will actually give us for a Vic trade. If the Rockets are fifth or fourth in the West come March and still have a top defense then I doubt Oladipo is traded. I do expect guys like Exum and Tucker to be traded by the deadline though.

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Vic can be traded right now without adding other assets. If you want to add assets to him he is eligible on Feb. 2. Dipo will have his highest value to Miami at that time. Others might not care, they are only renting him for a month or two and pay something at the deadline. I don't want to keep him and take the risk of losing him for nothing just to get our butts kicked in the playoffs.

8. sydmill

sydmill Member

Look, how many of the players on this team are guys that will realistically be around by the time the Rockets are actually relevant again? I count 4, at most (Tate and Wood for sure with Brown and Porter as possibilities). So the question becomes what you do to acquire those players that can be here when the Rockets are good again. Your way works but what happens when Wall gets hurt again or Gordon goes cold? How is that any different that the Rockets tanking and ending up with the 5th pick? The difference really is hope. Tearing it down and rebuilding provides hope. This team as it is constructed is not good enough to contend or to bottom out. We have been there and done that. Now, you asked what a plan might be. Here is mine:

https://tradenba.com/trades/jh0hgLam3

This provides the Rockets with a frontline of the future with Wood/Achiuwa/Williams playing the 4/5. I'd keep Boogie around to mentor if he is up for that too. Tate/Porter/Okpala/Nesmith would be the foundation of the 2/3 depth chart. This is a team built for the future that can play hard now but will probably lose more often than win. If the Rockets end up in the bottom 4 teams then they have a 50% chance of adding one of several perceived franchise players to that core along with 2 other FRPs. That is hopeful.

So, what's your plan?

HP3 and Trackwell like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Don't think Boston would be remotely interested in that deal, but I am with you on the sentiment. The rest of this year should be used to gather future assets. Getting other teams to cooperate is the problem.

10. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

yes!!!!!!!!

Hope is the key here .....

Keeping this team as is and riding this thing out is as dumb as it gets.... blow this up.

a 50 percent chance at a franchise player is much better hope then a zero percent chance at getting one. And some of the thinking on this forum is just fools gold, and it shows that they don’t really underhand how dynasties are created In this sport ....

HP3 likes this.
  11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

No, what's funny is that a fan of the HOUSTON ROCKETS -- a franchise that just traded away their best player WHO THEY DIDN'T DRAFT -- thinks that tanking is the only way to win.

12. sydmill

sydmill Member

Why do you think Boston wouldnt be interested? Williams and Nesmith barely play for them and Olynyk and Tucker would be nice to have playing against Embid (Olynyk) or KD (Tucker). And both walk at the end of the year so there is no long term commitment if it doesnt work.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You'd have to take away the Boston FRP in my opinion. Ainge loves picks and young assets. Also, not sure how much Miami is willing at this point to give away. Maybe a way to go is to facilitate a Bradley Beal trade to Miami. Something like this:

https://tradenba.com/trades/7A0Vx0_KB

14. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Please name another example of a player in his prime of James Harden’s magnitude that was traded At that early of an age?

Are you really banking on that to happen again?!! Hahaha

There’s multiple examples of people getting rich through the draft-

The whole goal is to win a championship! how is the team ever going to win the championship currently as constructed right now without turning around and starting over?

And I never said tanking was the only way!
    I said it was the best bet to get another contender....

HP3 likes this.
  15. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

16. sydmill

sydmill Member

How's this grab you: https://tradenba.com/trades/PmwTvtuo7

HP3 likes this.
  17. xaos

xaos Member

Are they having a play-in tournament this year?

Would be nice to make the playoffs and luck out on a top 3 pick haha

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I believe this is wrong, but I'm not sure. Tradenba has it different. I've also seen Feb. 2 several times in the garm

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so you think nba should be suspended for a decade until all teams are on equal footing as per talent?

whats even point of having a league if more than 2 /3rd of teams will lose on purpose
    the competition is impossible to have if 25 teams will lose on purpose...