1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans hire David Culley as Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 27, 2021.

?

Do you like the hire of David Culley?

Poll closed Jan 27, 2023.
  1. YES

10.9%
  2. NO

89.1%
  1. Major

Major Member

There's no evidence that David Culley is a better coach than me either, but I think we'd all agree the Texans would have been crazy to hire me as their head coach.

Mr. Clutch and Sooty like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

They don’t.

They were interviewing Lovie Smith before a coach was named and I didn’t hear any mention of it locally until after the fact. Had they known they would have reported it.

The walrus Cal just calls his fellow fat boy John McClain and tells him to just make the Texans look good.

justtxyank, conquistador#11 and J.R. like this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I wonder if the plan is to groom Mccown to take over for Culley once he leads the team to a 4-28 record over the next two seasons.

Got to keep the FCA pipeline going.

Rudyc281, conquistador#11 and J.R. like this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I reject this as an appropriate response Major.

5. justtxyank

I haven't heard a coach say EB would be better than Culley. Hilariously I think most of the praise for why EB would be a great head coach is similar to what they are saying about Culley now. Great leader, leader of men, brings people together, blah blah.

Listen, I expect Culley to fail, don't get me wrong.

Sooty likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. justtxyank

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If he refuses to play just use a cloning machine.

Until Cal is informed by Jack that cloning is an affront to God and they must make the hard decision as to whether a clone's life is valid at conception.

Genesis, Sooty and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly I don't believe they even think that far ahead.

We just have to hope Caserio is really good at hiss job and over time wins a power struggle and gets Cal's ear.

None of this is remotely ideal, we all know that McNair is an extremely flawed owner but there isn't much we can do about it.

I just hope we avoid being the Browns or Bengals.

Bears ownership is really bad too, but they still won a title (granted it was almost 40 years ago).

Two Sandwiches, itzIce and Sooty like this.
  10. Major

Major Member

Why? If we're going to say that there's no evidence EB is a better coach than Culley, despite the offense's phenomenal success, being on everyone's interview list, Reid and Mahomes raving about him as deserving of a HC opportunity vs Culley and his complete lack of interest anywhere, the lack of success of WRs everywhere he goes, and Reid talking about how he's a great guy to have a burger with, then I'm assuming the only evidence you're willing to look at is head coaching results. If that's the case, you and I have as much evidence supporting us as either of them do.

homewight and Sooty like this.
  11. justtxyank

Reid said more than he liked to have a burger with him. He praised him as a leader and said he thinks he'll do well.

As for Eric Bieniemy's success, he doesn't call plays nor does he control the scheme. So it's impossible to evaluate him on those tools.

Bieniemy has been on everyone's radar and he's interviewed with every opening and every team has passed. So I'm not sure how that makes him a better candidate than Culley.

Like how is it not a red flag to you at all that every single team has interviewed Bieniemy and decided he wouldn't be a good head coach?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i feel bad for Culley, but at least he can ride off in the sunset in a couple years with some nice coin in his bank

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

There is no success we can attribute to Culley that we can't attribute to Bieniemy. EB cordinated the whole offense, a SB winning offense. DC coordinated the WRs, 1 playoff win. EB's offense broke records, DC's WRs were outplayed by the tight ends. EB has called plays in the NFL, DC has not. All that is left are the intangibles, which perhaps EB lacks. I have a feeling EB has some demands that he is not willing to bend on. Owners don't like that. For sure he would have wanted to pick his own coaching staff which we know DC isn't. It just feels like EB is waiting for the right position that will let him coach the way he wants/needs to coach.

14. justtxyank

Let me be clear, I'm not praising the Culley hire. I expect him to be a bad hire.

On EB, he's not waiting for the right anything. He's tried to get jobs. He campaigned for this job as recently as last week. He's been hurt to not get jobs before. Teams are simply not hiring him. I don't know why. People have said it's race and that may have been the case with some jobs, but I'm not convinced of that. It definitely wasn't the issue here.

And for the record, I don't think coordinating offenses or coaching WRs has anything to do with being a good head coach. If Culley builds a good staff and delegates to that staff and manages a clock/game situation well that would make him a good coach. I'm impressed he got Hamilton as QB coach, rest of the staff I'm meh on.

15. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

You do realize this is the Texans we are talking about. Easterby would end up cloning himself to spread his influence...

treyk3 likes this.
  16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think I remember a worse hire in Houston sports history. Clearly not qualified

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

When I say he is waiting for the right thing, I mean he doesn't want to be forced into a bad situation. He definitely seems like the type of guy that would not accept Tim Kelly to be forced on him. I can see him saying, "I will accept this position only if I get to pick my staff and I would like to talk to Deshaun first". And there is definitely a racial component when it comes to the owners as a whole. A report came out a week or so ago that said as much. It may not be "Don't hire black coaches" but it may be "we prefer non-black coaches because..."

Anyone can be a good coach without moving up the ranks, we are talking about using what we know about them to make a good decision. Which is why people USUALLY look at resumes before making a hire. Culley might end up being a good coach, maybe even better than EB. The point still remains he had a worse resume than EB.

Also, Bieniemy does have a couple of rough patches in his distant past that people can easily bring up.

18. Pringles

Pringles Member

Are we already not the Browns/Bengals/Jets right now? :/

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Man I wish DW4 would allow pep Hamilton the chance to coach him. Guy turned Justin into a stud his rookie season

Rudyc281 likes this.