1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ScheftBomb! Watson formally requests trade

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 28, 2021.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i get Lawrence checks a lot of boxes, and i don't disagree, but the once every 10 years things seems exaggerated to me is all.

Rudyc281, jakedasnake and Sooty like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Lawrence isn't as highly thought of as Andrew Luck.

I agree with you though, other than Luck, there hasn't been a QB prospect as highly regarded as Lawrence in some time.

jiggyfly, Rudyc281 and Sooty like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It often is, but it doesn't matter, Jacksonville isn't trading away that pick, even for Watson.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Probably. Lawrence's rookie contract means they can actually build around a qb.

Rudyc281 and Nook like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Well.......... so lets look at the last 45 years of QB's that went #1.

Luck and Elway were more highly thought of than Lawrence.

Lawrence is clearly more highly thought of than: Burrow, Murray, Goff, Winston, Newton, Bradford, Stafford, Russell, A. Smith, Palmer, Carr, Vick, Couch, Testaverde

The QB's that were in the similar conversation as Lawrence are.......Aikman, George, Bledsoe, Manning.

So there are two QB's that were clearly evaluated higher than Lawrence...... Luck and Elway....... there are four QB's that were in the general ball park as Lawrence..... and I would say that Lawrence is slightly higher in evaluation than Bledsoe and Aikman.... I think George and Manning were slightly higher than Lawrence is now.

So over the last 45 years you have.....

1. Luck
    2. Elway
    3. George
    4. Manning
    5. Lawrence

So it is pretty close to every 10 years.

whag00 and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly, and on top of that, he hasn't shown the lack of loyalty and ridiculous entitlement that Watson has. It's possible that would come eventually, but after seeing what Watson pulled here, it would be a gamble to go with him knowing he could blow up your franchise at any moment if he gets his feelings hurt that you made a move that he didn't agree with.

Going with the unknown is in some ways safer.

whag00 likes this.
  7. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Wut? Am I missing something here? Isn't it the Texans who should hang up the phone if an unproven NFL QB is all that is being offered? I realize he would be on a rookie deal but are the Jaguars that close to contending anyways? Deshaun should fetch a top 3 pick and at minimum (2) additional 1st's. If the Jags, Jets or Dolphins are unwilling to do that then so be it. That should be the going rate. Also, at least you know what Deshaun's salary is going forward and 2021 is a reasonable cap hit if I am not mistaken ($16 mil vs $6.5 mil of Joe Burrow's rookie season as an example)?

Also, why would Deshaun want to play for these other franchises? I realize the Texans are a dumpster fire but so are the Jets and Jags unless I am missing something again? Miami is intriguing but jury is still out on their coach and how he handled the Fitz vs. Tua situation. He may have already lost the locker room with the few vets on the team. They are really the only team that makes sense but I would prefer for Tua to be flipped to another team so we can get another draft asset (2nd round pick maybe) + #3 pick (that should be ours) + 18th pick + 2022 1st rounder.

Just crazy that we will likely be using Deshaun Watson to get our own freaking picks back. Just baffling how bad this franchise has been since Cal and Jack came on board.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

again, i get he grades well, but we all know grades and actual production don't go hand in hand. If you're saying that his grades are a 10 year cycle, okay, fine, sure. But i'm focusing more on how good of an nfl player he will actually be. DW is a proven top tier QB and I don't think you can easily laugh off a swap out offer for Lawrence. This is purely hypothetical and not even a real discussion point because they won't trade DW4 within the conference...not even the texans are that dopey, right? riiighhhht?

jakedasnake likes this.
  9. Xopher

Xopher Member

Much more than that. The Jets got 2 firsts for Jalen Ramsey

BigM and justtxyank like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

On a side note, I was just thinking that it has to be hard to be as smart as Bob McNair was and to look at your son and realize that he just isn't as talented or as bright as you are.... to look at your son and realize that if he were born in a working class family in Fort Bend that he would be a painter or carpet installer. That has to be a terrible feeling, and you just know Bob looked at Janice sometimes and they both could know the grief without saying it.... I don't care how much money you have, knowing your son is really mediocre mentally has to be terrible.

11. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Is Cal not going to be at today's press conference because he has to supervise the progress of that all important wall?

Nook and J.R. like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

All anyone is saying is grading, there is no way to know how good a QB will actually be and whether they will stay healthy. The two greatest QB's in NFL history, Brady and Montana were not even first round picks.

I don't think the Jaguars would trade Lawrence for Watson because Lawrence will be on a rookie scale and the Jags can use the difference in salary to build a team around him. Also, if the Jags did offer Lawrence, the Texans may jump on that regardless of being in the division.

justtxyank likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think there's no question the Texans would jump on that if offered depending on what else was offered with it.

It would be a chance to start fresh with a potential franchise QB while getting rid of a disgruntled head case who wants out and has spent the past several months doing everything he can to hurt the franchise with his complete lack of professionalism while throwing a temper tantrum.

There's just no way Jacksonville would make the offer. Watson could do the same thing to them he did to the Texans while Lawrence could turn out to be a loyal, professional, franchise QB and if that happened, they'd never live it down.

15. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

If I get in a relationship with a woman who is cheating on her boyfriend with me...I should not be surprised when she cheats on me with the next dude.

zeeshan2 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It would be a total Texans move to trade Watson for the 1st pick in the draft only to have Lawrence go Eli Manning/Elway on them and refuse to play for them.

jiggyfly and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

All of those things boil down to he didn't get the GM and coach he wanted.
    On the coach front... it's insane. EB has flopped multiple job interviews. Nobody will hire that dude.
    And I can only say so many times, why should i trust DW opinion on coaches anyways?

He has every right to do what he wants.

But i have every right to call him out on it.

He signed his extension in early September. Almost ALL of the "bad" stuff that happened, happened before then.

You guys out here pretending that Easterby was hired in the last 6 months. Easterby sucks... got it. Yet somehow DW still sat on knowing that for 6 months after they trade DHop for a bag of potato chips and was like, "i'm good, i trust this organization, i'll sign this contract extension!!!!"

At least Harden gave it a solid 8+ years, and didn't sign a mega extension that was offered to him and THEN ask to be traded.

whag00, justtxyank and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Bob McNair coming back from the grave to check on Cal and Easterby.

[​IMG]

Nook, Hey Now! and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Have not read him in years but you captured him perfectly.

How is he still a thing?

20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I feel guilty as hell for laughing at this...

Nook likes this.