1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oladipo wants Miami

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fantasma Negro, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I wonder if the rockets move him at the deadline. If he leaves for nothing rockets will be kicking the can next season. He knows he can get big pay day.
    I just trade him to Miami and get Nunn and Precious plus a 1st round pick. Nunn can put up 20 a game as shooting guard, ive seen it.

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I don't profess to know the plan, but I also do not understand the insistence by so many that a Wood + Oladipo + Wall core can't make noise as a contender, especially given we have a bunch of young, solid prospects and a ton of draft picks.

First, we are playing insane defense with that core. Like, first overall D since trading Harden. And this group hasn't even played much together. Give them time to gel.

Second, Wood will soon be mentioned in the same breath with those guys you listed. He's a great #1 and Wall and Oladipo make great options 2a and 2b.

Third, we have plenty of draft capital to either (1) build strong complementary pieces around WOW; or (2) grab that fourth option.

Now, what would I do? I would (1) extend Oladipo in the offseason; and (2) trade Gordon and/or Tucker and/or draft picks for a strong starting Small or Power Forward. And yes, I believe such a group can contend.

don grahamleone and 13 in 33 like this.
  3. Le$$

Le$$ Member

If Dipo likes it here, hey maybe he can just take a discount. He doesnt have to put up max numbers here around wood. I bet he goes for the money thou.

4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

While this isn't necessarily a bad return, Nunn will be a free agent this offseason so what do we think his value is worth? Maybe he can be had for $8-12 mil a year for 2-3 years or will someone be looking to give him more? The issue with him is his defense is pretty suspect and his offense is also overrated. Does he have room to improve? Likely but I would rather take the chance on the upside of Oladipo returning from injury stronger every game than bank on Nunn becoming a better offensive player AND defensive player. Advanced stats don't grade a player like Nunn out very well

If we trade Oladipo, it should be for picks and/or higher upside players that are on rookie deals so we know what we have in them for a year or two before deciding to pay them when their rookie deal is up or trade them before then. Just not sure a player like Nunn will hold value on a $8-12 mil contract. Whatever we get for Oladipo, each piece needs to be a valuable asset. I do like the idea of Precious + a 1st but would need more than that to let Oladipo go to Miami. Also, are we sure Miami will be active at the trade deadline? They are now 6-12 so I assume they will be active to try and set themselves up for next year. I would think a Butler, Oladipo and Bam team could make some noise next year and Miami would be wise to use some of their young underperforming talent + expiring contracts to build a contender for the next 3 years. Butler, Oladipo and Bam might be 3 of the better 2 way players the league has to offer so I can see them being effective.

5. Houston77

Supporting Member

Meh, I'd give him the max if he keeps balling for us. We have plenty of cap flexibility. We only have like 87 million guaranteed in taxable salaries next season, significantly less if we trade Gordon.

6. conquistador#11

Wait til he sees the scenery!
    [​IMG]

ipaman likes this.
  7. sydmill

sydmill Member

There is so much wrong here, respectfully. First off, you are counting on players who have histories of pretty serious injury in the "WOW" core. Wall's history has been discussed extensively but Oladipo has his own. Are you willing to lock up two injury prone players to huge salaries?

Second, Wood is a good player. A foundational piece. But you think/are counting on him being in same league as MVPs? C'mon man, I know this is a fan site and we are all homers but for real...

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. Houston77

Supporting Member

Respectfully, you say there is so much "wrong" and then bring up two very weak points. Pretty sad, really.

First, Wall is a sunk cost. He's a third option, hence why I think we should get a fourth via trade to cover our bases. I've done a lot of research on Oladipo's injury and it seems more akin to an ACL tear than an Achilles rapture. In other words, I think he'll be fine. So yes, if he keeps performing and doesn't show any lingering effects, I'm fine locking him in. Someone will.

Second, I love people like you that dismiss Wood's potential without any statistical backing. Seriously, do your homework. Wood is currently averaging nearly 24/11 with a really strong Defensive rating on RAPTOR and is only getting better. Those are star numbers, period. So unless you're actually willing to put in some effort to show WHY Wood should only be considered a "good" player when stats show otherwise, then get outta here.

#128 Houston77, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    don grahamleone likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not trying to rain on anybody's parade but those 4 teams have been ravaged by injury and covid the all had 3 or 4 rotation players out some even more.

I will say that last nights victory was impressive but that was again an undermaned team and we went to the wire.

Are we now happy just to get into the 1st round?

GotGame15 likes this.
  10. Le$$

Le$$ Member

If you give him that contract you would probably have to move Gordon for expiring. Aminu and 2nd? He is a way to get out of Gordon contract. Ben and Sterling to me can replace gordon easy.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This says it all about you, we need to lock him in because someone will?

LOL.

I've done research. HA!

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...-quadriceps-tendon-is-worse-than-an-acl-tear/

CBS SPORTS: You mention ACL tears. That's an injury every athlete and sports fan is familiar with and we all know how severe it is. Would you say this injury that Oladipo has suffered is worse than an ACL tear, or just different?

DR. BENNER: It's different, but probably a little bit worse. When I initially saw the injury, I started thinking about the potential bad injuries that happen like a patellar dislocation, an ACL injury, a quadriceps or a patellar rupture, even a patellar fracture -- actually breaking the kneecap. And of all those things, unfortunately the quadriceps tendon rupture (which is what Oladipo suffered) is the injury I would least like an athlete to have.

The reason is mostly a post-surgical difference. In the first six weeks after a quadriceps rupture, the knee needs to stay completely straight in a brace, and the options for bending the knee early on are pretty limited. Basically, all you can do for those first six weeks is some very gentle, minimal flexion, because if you bend the knee too much early on after surgery, you risk the tendon becoming disconnected again. You have to make sure the tendon is healed back to the kneecap, solidly, before you can begin any kind of aggressive rehabilitation.

12. Houston77

Supporting Member

Yes, I've read that article. I mean, with all due respect, did you? It said it's a "little bit worse" than an ACL tear because the recovery is more difficult, but that he should be fully healed afterwards.

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Gordon does everything better than Oladipo except dribbling why would we trade Gordon and give Oladipo the max?

14. Houston77

Supporting Member

Gordon does nothing better than Oladipo.

Denovo likes this.
  15. sydmill

sydmill Member

Ok tough guy, here you go:

Christian Wood as a 25 year old future MVP has been on 6 teams since entering the NBA at 20. I guess none of those teams "did their homework"? Prior to last season with Detroit, the most games he actually got to play in in any of those seasons was 21 (and for the record that year was spent across 2 teams because, apparently, Milwaukee didnt want a future MVP to pair with an actual MVP). As for comparisons to AD, LeBron and Kawhi (I could do PG too but who has the time?). In their age 25 season, using that because this season is by far Wood's best, CW has averaged 23/11 across 13 games. Anthony Davis averaged 26/12 in 56 games (after notching 28/11 the two seasons prior). LeBron, at 25, averaged 30/7/9 in 76 games after already having multiple seasons of 30+ points, 7+ rebounds and 7+ assists a game. Kawhi, at 25, was at 26/6/4 in 74 games. He also had a 21/6/3 season under his belt by 25. I'm sorry, Christian Wood is good but its unfair to compare him to those guys.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I started thinking about the potential bad injuries that happen like a patellar dislocation, an ACL injury, a quadriceps or a patellar rupture, even a patellar fracture -- actually breaking the kneecap. And of all those things, unfortunately the quadriceps tendon rupture (which is what Oladipo suffered) is the injury I would least like an athlete to have.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Thanks for clearing up any doubt that you have basketball knowledge.

I'm out.

18. Houston77

Supporting Member

For one, you know you're reaching when you talk about yesterday. I don't care about yesterday. I care about tomorrow.

Second, there's a very good chance Wood ends up with a line of 25/12 for the season, not too far removed from that AD line. And anyway, I'm not comparing him to those players. I'm saying he's currently a star and I have nothing to indicate that he'll somehow regress.

19. Houston77

Supporting Member

Enjoy having your idiotic "I don't see it" thread bumped all season. Hope you get your eyes checked!

#139 Houston77, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  20. gotsis

gotsis Member

The heart says let's extend Oladipo and have a fun, competitive team, but zero title aspirations.

The brain says we should flip Oladiplo, Tucker, Gordon (if possible) for young guys and picks.

sydmill likes this.