1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did John forget how to play PnR?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jan 29, 2021.

1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

What Gortat can do, Wood can do better. It’s bizarre that Wall doesn’t seem to connect with Wood.

2. Meliorus

Meliorus Member

After watching many years of Wall spoonfeed Gortat, I am perplexed by this too. Not sure why they don't run them, Wood is a beast of a lob threat. Would generate much more efficient offense at the beginning and end of games instead of those long bricks.

3. haiti_king

haiti_king Member

If Wood was more involved he could easily avg. Between 25- 28 pts a game...maybe even more...Wood is special

4. haiti_king

haiti_king Member

That being said he is still doing 23 and 11

5. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yea
    Wall and Victor are using isos too much and not enough pnr. Haven’t seen many or any lobs that I can recall.

vator, ak99999, hakeem94 and 12 others like this.
  6. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Give them an opportunity to build some chemistry! Early days but looking promising guys

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

silas secretly don't want the team to win so he doesn't run pnr

hakeem94 and chadyang like this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I want to be optimistic, but PnR is usually one of the simplest plays to run in basketball.

hakeem94, D-rock, Kevooooo and 3 others like this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wall is playing like a Mini Westbrook. Silas has to put a stop to this. Dipo drove the ball better to the basket. Wood played well on offense with control.

Bo6, hakeem94, ilias and 2 others like this.
  10. WestendMassive

I think we were spoiled by Harden being immediately able to create a connection with a big man in a PnR.

Wood needs some sand in his pants to set a meaningful screen too. Setting a good pick is real important for a PnR to be effective and I'm just not seeing him set great ones.

Dude needs to put on some kgs

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Its a little frustrating that there isn't as much movement in the offense when John is in the game. I really hope Silas works with him more on getting him to move the ball more.

12. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I was watching for this last night also and saw many missed opportunities where Wood was wide open on the role at the rim. I noticed in the clips with Gortat that Wall almost always passes immediately while Marcin was rolling, vs Harden who would drive and pass at the last second for a lob. So it’s possible Wood isn’t looking for the early pass and/or Wall can’t throw the late one well.

Hopefully they work it out quickly.

Bo6, hakeem94, D-rock and 6 others like this.
  13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Defenses are going under every Wall PnR, clogging the lane and making it difficult to penetrate. It's partially on the big to get better angles either on the drop, or two flare in front of the on ball defender instead. Wall has to consistently take and make those jumpers imo for there to be a significant change in efficiency moving forward.

Nelly, RocketWalta, hakeem94 and 9 others like this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

A little thing called chemistry.

Learning the plays, where teammates like to/and will be at, consistency in fine tuning.

I did mention it usually takes a month or two to get use to one another. Factor in time missed with Wall being out
    two years.......Covid isolation to start the season followed by Knee discomfort. Wood doesn’t set a solid screen
    like Gortat and then seal his man off.

But give it time. It’s not like the movies where one bullet kills each man/woman instantly or in basketball
    movies where chemistry on the court happens in two seconds. This is real time and real life.

Now if everything was iso, then that would be a little different.

Wall-Gortat were together for years. Show me clips only of the first month of them together.

#14 ApacheWarrior, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Gortat was a sturdy dude, and Wood is rail thin. Maybe it has to do with the quality of the screen?

alethios, Patience, gotsis and 4 others like this.
  16. Chasing_Chase

Chasing_Chase Member

Hopefully it’s just a chemistry thing and PT together will help, because I agree it could be utilized heavily.

D-rock and eliefor3 like this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

18. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

It seems like they are preferring the pick and pop instead of pick and roll. Not sure why. Maybe it’s bc 3 is greater than 2 o_O

saleem likes this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

it will come.
    Wood is just not as strong as Gortat.
    Also Wall seems to want to score 1st
    Pass 2nd.

Rocket River

hakeem94 and Chasing_Chase like this.
  20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I did notice Wood doesn't really set a real screen, he cheats on it and dives to the hoop. The thing is Harden is great with those situations because the opponent usually traps Harden and he just lops it into the lane to Wood.

Opponents usually go under the screen against Wall, or just do a switch and theres no opportunity for penetration