1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 4, 2021.

1. mightybosstone

I would go with the team you feel like is going to give you the best haul of picks. Because even if you replace Watson with a possible young replacement QB with upside for next season, you're still miles away from being a competent football team. That's why I wouldn't draft one with a top 5 pick either unless they somehow land Trevor Lawrence. I'd much rather see them just maximize their haul of picks and draft the BPA with each one (preferably on defense). Have a fire sale on your pricey veterans, get as many picks as you can, maximize/develop young talent and tank like crazy for next season.

2. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

I know this has probably been mentioned before, but has Elon Musk ever shown any interest in owning a sports team? If so is there any way we could expedite the McNair expulsion process? I mean Elon is moving all his operations to Texas, why not buy the Texans.

Sooty, mario_v and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Talk about having the most high profile owner in sports history. It would be pretty cool.

Sooty likes this.
  4. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Lakewood Church’s plan, take over the Summit, take over NRG, next take over Minute Maid

dookiester likes this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

6. dookiester

dookiester Member

lol seriously. how'd we get from jj watt, clowney, dhop, will fuller, and a budding young superstar deshaun watson in 2017, to disgruntled jj watt, suspended will fuller, and please-trade-me-deshaun watson?

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Nook, Remix, fchowd0311 and 1 other person like this.
  8. fchowd0311

Dude spoiler tag that ****. You can't have NSFW pictures of a anus just appear like that.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

By giving organizational power to the guy Watson "loved".

With both Harden and Watson, the franchise went wrong by listening to their star players and giving them what they were dumb enough to think they wanted.

raining threes and whag00 like this.
  10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This is silly. Watson backed up his coach, almost all players will when asked. Cal's first mistake was not firing Easterby after he botched the Caserio hire, Cal's second mistake was appointing a GM by committee to 3 guys who weren't qualified to do the job, Cal's third mistake was letting BoB/Easterby talk him into firing the one guy on the committee who had any experience dealing with contracts, Cal's fourth mistake was appointing BoB to permanent GM, Cal's fifth and on-going mistake was keeping Easterby around.

Nook, everyday eddie, Sooty and 2 others like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, so he was just lying with his over the top support of BOB that was used multiple times on this very board over the years to defend him not being fired. Gotcha.

Spin it however you can to absolve Watson of blame.

raining threes likes this.
  12. gucci888

Even if that influenced Cal's decision not to fire BoB, promoting him to permanent GM, keeping Easterby, etc...falls all on Cal.

Sooty and dookiester like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure, at the end of the day, it's on the owner, I've never suggested otherwise. All I'm saying is that Watson was fluffing BOB the whole time he was destroying the franchise....it was only after he was fired, that he started throwing a temper tantrum.

Watson said he absolutely loved BOB, so why would I have faith in any other move Watson wanted?

Blaming Watson for his role is not a defense of others who did wrong any more than blaming the owner for keeping BOB around is a defense of Watson.

That said, Watson is the one throwing the temper tantrum and wanting to stab his teammates, the franchise, and his fans in the back in order to seek a brighter spotlight....so that's the guy who deserves the most scorn.

14. fchowd0311

I think you might be going too far here blaming this on Watson. Watson in the middle of a season isn't going to cause locker room chaos therefore he is going to say the politically correct things about the active head coach.

This is on Cal and Easterby. I understand Watson's frustrations but he's also handling this poorly now.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I blame him for going over the top with his support for BOB for years since that over the top support led to BOB destroying the franchise. I get that he's not going to say bad things about him, but his over the top support was used for YEARS as a justification to keep BOB around.

Ultimately, it's on Cal for not firing BOB years ago, but I just don't think we should forget Watson's role in it.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. gucci888

If JJ asks out, he'll have to shoulder as much as the blame correct?

Sooty likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. Anyone who vocally supported BOB is to blame for what he did to the franchise.

When it comes to Watt, I'm pretty sure he's doing the same thing Watson is, he's just being more of a professional about it thus far and keeping it behind closed doors and not leaking temper tantrum BS to the media every day.

To me, it's pretty clear he wants out now that BOB has completely sunk the franchise, but he gets some credit for not being public about it....yet.

18. gucci888

You are putting way too much stock into a players comments about their coach/GM when asked by the media.

Nook, Newlin and Sooty like this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm really not. Again, those completely over the top "I love Bill O'Brien" comments were used as justification to keep BOB here for YEARS. I saw how terrible he was as a coach the very first season he was here and I was continually met with "You can't fire BOB because Watson likes him so much" comments year after year.

Now sure, maybe that's just ignorant fans commenting on things they know nothing about....but for all we know, that was part of the calculus in the FO as well. How else did BOB keep consolidating power?