1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ScheftBomb! Watson formally requests trade

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Aware

Aware Member

Why cant we have nice things?

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yup. Rams fans did get a chance to root for their team in the SB just recently. That must have been nice.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

To me it's a fools errand to look at the news and rumors about this.

It's impossible to know really who did what and who promised who what.

All I know is that we have a management group that is terrible, a QB who is really good, and because of the former the latter is leaving.

This never should have came to pass. If the mgmt group wasn't awful I'd given them more benefit of the doubt, but they've not earned that from me at all.

As such, bye Texans. I'll send for my things.

DVauthrin, YOLO, Sooty and 1 other person like this.
  4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Who would think that we would long for the days of smith, kubiak, and uncle bob? The bar was so low and cal went lower. Unbelievable. I want an investigation into whether or not this mother****er has some sort of learning disability. He seems to be very easily duped.

DonnyMost and mario_v like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

At any other position I would agree with you but not with an above average QB.

They are the max players and everybody wants one.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Name another QB.

He was the exception not the rule.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Watson is really poking the hornets nest.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

he's not just an above average qb, he's elite. That's a category of its own with only a handful of guys

DVauthrin and jiggyfly like this.
  10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

For the people who try to paint this is a diva QB who wants out because the owner isn't "woke" enough, the Jets owner is Woody Johnson, who was a big Trump supporter who got an ambassadorship as a thank you. He was recently investigated for making sexist and racist remarks in front of State Dept employees.

Deshaun Watson would rather play for that guy than Cal McNair.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How is that moving anything.

No player the caliber of Watson has gotten blackballed.

12. Major

Major Member

You understand Watson has all the power right? He doesn't have to sit out. He can just show up and does the bare minimum and cause problems. That screws the franchise AND reduces whatever trade value you can get from him. He still gets paid.

There's a reason that teams rarely ever do this.

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

No, it’s not.

Deshaun Watson started ghosting the Texans after McNair went back on his word, not before.

If Cal McNair is the owner of the Texans, Deshaun Watson is the equivalent of its Senior Marketing Manager or something similar. McNair, the owner, tells Watson, his Senior Marketing Manager, that he will be heavily involved in the decision making process to hire the company’s Marketing Director (head coach) and CMO (GM). McNair even asks Watson to draft a list of people he wants to interview and wants to know his goal for the search. Watson says great and gives McNair his list, along with recommending a culture shift in the organization. At first, McNair is following through and interviews Louis Riddick and Omar Khan among others for the vacant CMO (GM) position. Things progress to the point where Khan is going to be formally offered the job. Watson is happy. Then, at the last minute, Jack Easterby gets in McNair’s ear and convinces him to hire someone that wasn’t on Watson’s list, nor had they interviewed him this offseason for the job. Even worse, this individual comes from the same NFL team his previous head coach worked for, so the culture change Watson recommended clearly isn’t happening. Watson is now dismayed and upset.

At the same time, the Texans have still not yet reached out to Robert Saleh or Eric Bieniemy, two head-coaching candidates that Watson recommended to McNair. Things are now coming into clear focus for Watson: All those words about McNair caring about his opinion on the next GM and head coach were simply lip service. Now that he knows where he stands, he no longer trusts anything Cal McNair says, and he can’t stand the man. Therefore, he asks for a trade, despite recently signing a large contract extension.

#433 DVauthrin, Jan 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Major and jiggyfly like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't know if he is elite but I don't think he is just above average, my point was above average QB's are never gonna be blackballed.

15. mightybosstone

Do you see me making excuses for the Texans? I'm not. They're the worst run franchise in Houston (which is really saying something in 2021) and likely the worst run franchise in the whole NFL. They've made mistake after mistake pretty much since the team's inception, but especially since the O'Brien hiring. They're idiots, and I would not want to work for that organization if it was me either.

My point is he KNEW they were idiots when he signed that deal less than five months ago. He saw O'Brien butcher trade after trade and then make one of the worst deals in NFL history to trade away his best offensive weapon. He saw Easterby climb the ladder and get far more involved in NFL affairs than he had any business being. He saw Cal.... well, being Cal. But he still signed that deal anyway. Now he's suddenly surprised they completely butchered the GM and coach hires? That's kind of you, dude.

About a decade ago I was living with my girlfriend after college more out of convenience than anything. After our first lease was up, I knew the relationship was going downhill and there was a good chance we wouldn't last through the next lease we signed. I signed it anyway and within two months we were broken up, uncomfortably living together in a one-bedroom apartment, she was secretly seeing another guy behind my back and we ended up having to break the lease, which set me back like $1,500 (of which she provided nothing).

That was on me. I knew better. Deshaun should have, too.

Sooty likes this.
  16. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Astros karma'd the entire city of Houston.

Never cheat the game.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

That wasnt the point the poster was trying to make was it? Eric Reid? Craig Hodges?

No you want QUARTERBACKS Who have been blackballed! Its a pretty convenient argument on your part all the while ignoring the problem to begin with.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Are you going to name 10 quarterbacks that are definitely better than him. He's definitely elite

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Easterby having so much sway is reason enough to want to leave IMO.

Nook, Sooty and conquistador#11 like this.
  20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

lulz. I guess every city with a sports team should burn to the ground then...

JayGoogle likes this.