1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Blazers @ Rockets 1/28/2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 28, 2021.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

need a bigger one

D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  2. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

There is starting to be a little separation in the Western Conference Standings finally. Teams are starting to show their true colors a little more. The top 4 in the West is likely set with a mix of Jazz, Lakers, Clippers, and Nuggets. Those will likely be the top 4 in the West unless injuries creep up. After that, the field is wide open. Blazers currently sittings at 5th at 9-7 with injuries to CJ and Nurkic. Warriors at 6th, Spurs at 7th, Grizzlies at 8th (5-game win streak), Suns at 9th (3-game losing streak), Thunder at 10th (2-game win streak), Mavs at 11th (3-game losing streak). Rockets at 12th w/ 7-9 record and 3 game winning streak.

Only 2 games separate the 5th seed -12th seed so any of those 8 teams could find their way into the playoffs. My money is on the Blazers and Warriors to at least make the playoffs as a 5th - 8th seed even with the injuries. That leaves 2 spots between Spurs, Grizzlies, Suns, Thunder, Mavs and Rockets. My money is on the Mavs and Rockets making the playoffs unless we truly have a firesale at the trade deadline. These teams on the bubble are good, not great, and we seem to have the better, more talented team with a mix of veteran leaders and young talent that makes us a likely playoff team if we have good health and learn to jell quickly now that Wall, Oladipo Gordon and Wood will finally be on the court together for the first time this season.

As mentioned by me before, on paper that is one of the more talented top 4 players on a team than most rosters. All are borderline all-stars IMO and 2 of them have been all-stars before injury and seem to be working towards finding their games again. Also, interesting that 4 of our best players are good to great at perimeter defense and get after it defensively except for Wood who is still adapting to his new role of starting 5. Sounds like we will do more switch everything especially when Wood is out there which will likely help his defensive game in the long run.

I am trying not to overrate this team but also don't think people should underrate them either. This team has a ton of talent and it is just a matter of figuring out how to play as a team at this point which is easier said than done. Stone has done a very solid job of finding 2 way talent at the top and bottom of the roster that can affect the outcome of a game on both ends of the court similar to the Pistons of the 2000's. Not saying we are the 2004 Pistons just yet but I also wouldn't count us out in a playoff series based on the amount of 2 way players that we have that get after it on both ends of the floor and have proven to pick it up with clutch performances when the lights are brightest.

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

If we are healthy from here on out I could see the 5 or 6 seed.

bro2044, D-rock and ipaman like this.
  4. Lillard_Harden

Blazers without CJ, RoCo, Nurkic and Collins, should be a Rockets win

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@hakeem94 here's another for your bag, that I just saw as someone's profile picture on twitter

maybe useful for montages expressing discombobulation and befuddlement

[​IMG]

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

I think it was just a matter of the starters able to come back from injuries. Wall and Dipo back. Wall playing his old team; I think he deserved fair amount of minutes for sure. Wood also back from ankle.

I personally would play Mason more, even if the org recognize Mason as long term, I'm ok with certain guys getting their trade value built up in the short term.

#26 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    bro2044 and Imanimal like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahahaha! absolutely divine!

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i had the biger one but resized it because i thought it was too big lolol

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  9. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Strangely... this team reminds me of the 22 win streak team in 2008 after Yao went down...

they’re ruining my tank strategy but I’m here for it

10. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

Former All Stars: Wall, Oladipo, Cousins
    Borderline: Wood
    6th Man: Gordon
    Quality Role players: Tate, Tucker, Nwaba, Brown
    Young Prospects: Porter, Jones, Thomas, Martin
    Should be traded: Mclemore, House, Exum, Kurucs

That is quite a mix. We are deep for sure, but it feels like I cant figure out what this team is. And this is the first time most rotation players are healthy. Playoffs, Middle or Bust?

bro2044, D-rock, Sonicbun8 and 2 others like this.
  11. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

Happy KPJ Day!

Killatron 2000, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

If Wall and Oladipo ever get their act together, (I'm talking ANY kind of consistency) this is a playoff team for sure. We're not top-heavy but the depth is crazy. Definitely will pay dividends as other team's 8-9 man rotations are gassed/injured come playoff time.

bro2044, D-rock, Denovo and 1 other person like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i still have hope kurucs can be a good player.. i saw a lot of potential in that one game

14. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

heres to hoping to at least seeing him in garbage time

16. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Thats a good take of us. I would throw Brodric Thomas in the trade category and focus on developing Porter Jr and Mason Jones as our young guards for now

coachbadlee, ipaman and hakeem94 like this.
  17. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Once finished John Lucas's meditation program, he would be ready to go…im eager to see wht this kid gonna bring on the table.

D-rock, Streakshooter and hakeem94 like this.
  18. Hesitation

Hesitation Member

Hope this is the 4th in a row. But need to play better than vs Wiz. This 3 trash quarter....

bro2044 and D-rock like this.
  19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I love your post!!!

we should trade Mclemore, House, Exum, Kurucs with a washington 1st for Aaron Gordon

bro2044 and D-rock like this.
  20. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

Does John Lucas really have a meditation program? I personally support AT LEAST one head-case on the team (ala Mad Max) but if so, big ups to JL.

DeBeards and D-rock like this.