1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Texans hire David Culley as Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 27, 2021.

?

Do you like the hire of David Culley?

Poll closed Jan 27, 2023.
  1. YES

10.9%
  2. NO

89.1%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

In less bothered by the fact that he isn’t a good coordinator. I don’t think that actually matters really. Ravens HC is a great example.

I’m more bothered by fact that his DC will be someone that’s been out of the league, his OC is someone who last ran a scheme I don’t think works...

not impressed

Nook, cmoak1982 and steddinotayto like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's incredible and downright laughable the lengths some go to in defending the ownership and front office. Like it's okay to be a fan AND have criticisms of the team's moves. Blind loyalty like this just makes one look pretty foolish.

JamesC likes this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Culley was coaching receivers one year where they didn't even have a single touchdown among the group. I keep hearing Harbaugh and some other great coaches being brought up in this conversation, but wasn't Harbaugh a bad ass special teams coach at least? I dont understand how the Texans can operate within their bubble and not expect a fair amount of criticism when their decisions aren't based in competence.

Everything hinges on what Deshaun does anyway. He decides the future of this team - not the new prayer group, Not that it matters, but isnt Culley Arab American? I know he's a Christian (Obviously) just thought I read his parents were Lebanese.

LOL what are ya gonna do!? Hard to make sense of it all.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Coaching hires are such a crap shoot so who really knows how Culley will turn out. But disappointing that the Texans clearly made moves to try and clean up Cal's mess vs going out and getting the best candidate.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

It's so hard to judge these guys at first, Culley may end up being a great hire, but can we talk about how disastrous this search process was?
    • First team to fire their coach, last to hire -- which also means the last to fill out the staff meaning potentially better coaches were picked up elsewhere
    • Missed the window to interview Bienemy in person during the Chiefs bye
    • IF you're going to wait to be last to hire, at least give your due diligence to Bienemy -- I'm not saying he was a homerun, I think the fact that nobody waited on him to become available says something -- but why not at least get him in the building
    IMHO, I think some of these guys either turned them down or sort of tanked the interviews, wary of Cal and Easterby. Who wants to stake what may be their only/last shot at being a HC on a disfunction organization? The answer = a 65 year old first time head coach who has never been a coordinator (i.e. nothing to lose)

K LoLo, payaso, itzIce and 3 others like this.
  6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

You mean like keeping Tim “I can’t seem to run a first scripted series to score points” Kelly and Lovie Smith (again chosen by someone other than the 65 year old rookie?

great start! Also in typical Texans fashion we waited to be the last team so many assistants have been hired already. Why wait so long to hire a guy NO ONE interviewed? Dog **** franchise

Nook likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'll tell you what, I was just a kid at the time looking at the Houston Post sports section.

But there's a lot of "Chuck Studley replacing Eddie Biles" energy about this move.

4 more years of high draft picks and Warren Moon later the team was back in the playoffs. Of course they were already 3 years into the rebuilding cycle at the time.

Nook likes this.
  8. gucci888

Think it is clear that Cal had no intention in interviewing either one of DW’s choices (Saleh and EB). On its surface, seems like Caserio only interviewed EB to appease DW4.

conquistador#11 and Omihall23 like this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

First time head coaches who haven't been successful in their previous gigs only work if they start off with very strong coordinators (see Vrabel). This is just a bad formula.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Everyone knows the Texans job is a landmine. You're looking at 2-3 years of absolute misery, minimum.

The only people who seemed to get deep into the interview process were either members of the God Squad or folks in-over-their-head who were simply happy to be there at all. Culley seems like he was both.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So Caserio and Easterby hired a list of good fall guys to milk another 5 years of checks from Cal?

I give Cully a year and a half before he retires, Smith takes the wheel for a year and a half and then a run at Belicheck.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Lovie Smith makes a lot of sense for the Texans.

He interviewed for the head coaching job back in 2013 with the Texans.

My understanding is that he gives every week to a protestant church in Houston, in Chicago and also one in Tulsa.

At one time he was a really good defensive coach.

The idea that he has learned something new is hilarious because his down fall in Chicago was that he never changed how he did anything, even if there were poor results. His defense with Tampa was bad and at University of Illinois it was terrible.

He is in his mid 60's so I guess he and Culley will have some things in common.

13. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Texans 2021 entrance music

payaso and DonkeyMagic like this.
  14. conquistador#11

If he can sell Deshaun, on this diarrhea cocktail as donnymost said, I'll be a fan of the hire. So I won't vote on the poll till they meet. How many David are on the team? David was a winner. They say patriots vs Rams was the biggest upset in sports. I tell them no brother. David vs Golliath was the greatest sporting upset. To land a rock with such accuracy, that was remarkable. Let's pray for all Davids

15. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Bible-thumping God-boy bullshit doesn't belong in football. Period.

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Waking up this morning after having all night to let this digest and it still feels really bad. Not just Culley, but everything else as well. (Lovey Smith. Really?!)

Culley would be the steady hand type you might hire when you already have a roster full of talent and an established winning scheme in place, and you just need someone who can maintain that. He’d be a decent interim head coach in an emergency for an already good organization. The Texans are exactly the opposite of that. They need a massive reorganization, and I’m not sure you’re going to be able to get that from these executives, a 65 year old man with no head coaching experience anywhere, and a patchwork coaching staff full of leftovers and retreads. It just feels like a recipe for disaster.

So at this point, I don’t even care if Deshaun stays or goes. What difference does it make when the organization is this dysfunctional? The Texans have become a soap opera, and I’m just following them for the same reason anyone ever watches that sort of thing. I have no expectation that they are going to win again anytime soon, but I’ll keep following them from a distance just out of curiosity if nothing else, because I have no confidence in this organization at all. I’m not going to stop following the team, but I’m not going to spend any money on it either. That’s the only way this ever gets fixed. Cal McNair needs to feel the financial impact of these decisions.

payaso likes this.
  17. gucci888

Hire officially a complete disaster now.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  18. magman

magman Member

Pretty clear now, knowing that a trade request by Watson has been known by the team for weeks, exactly what the Texans are trying to build, and it has Easterby's fingerprints all over it.

I don't blame Watson for wanting out of this **** show.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  19. conquistador#11

Victory! Victory! Victory!

20. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

That's true.