1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

ok late to the party signed up with robinhood yesterday and deposited 5 dollars. During a boring work meeting I was able to get my 5 up to 5.25 with gamestonk and then I sold out and put my whole 5.25 on Nokia..
    I ended up losing like 16 cents but it was more fun than gambling. In fact I have been trying to find a bookie and can't but no need.

Can someone explain how this is different than gambling?

I'm looking for a mentor and I have questions. This might be a short trip if I lose my ass but I'm down to lose a few hundy

Good luck fellas

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Only a matter of time before wallstreetbets subreddit gets shut down. They will claim it's because they found someone posting hate speech there.

Discord already did this.

Sajan and STR8Thugg like this.
  3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Someone mentioned the shorts data is delayed so that could be misleading. I honestly don't know enough about that.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think play here is to sell early and rebuy after this massive incoming dip.

I’m going to secure my 5,000 purchases at 86 dollars.

There’s going to be a massive sell off and I don’t trust the shenanigans employed by the media/brokers/wallstreet to allow people back in claiming risk(see Ameritrade).

Good news though.

this event will change stocks forever.

The small people have garnered together on Reddit and created a movement moving forward and I think there are a lot of people who are going to get rich until new regulations take over.

saitou and CCity Zero like this.
  5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want to hunt whales but I am risk adverse. I saw some colleagues made 6+ figures yesterday.

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

this stock not supported by robinhood wtf

DreamShook and saitou like this.
  7. Beezy

Beezy Member

Robinhood removed all the meme stocks. I guess they got a visit from the Sheriff of Nottingham.

KingCheetah and saitou like this.
  8. Sajan

Sajan Member

$GME $AMC Robinhood Removes GameStop, AMC; Puts Notice On Pages Saying 'You Can Close Out Your Position On This Stock, But You Can Not Purchase Additional Shares'

This is all out war now .

9. STR8Thugg

It's similar to gambling in some aspects, but there are some major differences.

When you put your money into a slot machine, you aren't investing in the viability of the machine. You are playing the lottery. While some stocks and trends can be tantamount to gambling or hitting the lottery, GME and other past examples aren't a representation of how the market works as a whole.

The most realistic method long-term is to invest in companies that you believe in and have a bright future. For instance, investing in Amazon in 2009 would have been a brilliant move. If you were savvy enough to realize where the future of retail was headed, that investment paid off. Same thing could be said about Apple in the 80's, or 90's. Also, companies can use increased stock prices towards developing new technology or purchasing other companies - which helps them grow and should increase the overall value.

Now, depending on what you are willing to risk, it's probably worth it to follow trends and "meme stocks" like GME, AMC, NAKD, CTRM, and others that come up. You can turn $100 risk into a very nice reward. Or it could backfire, but the upside is substantial.

It's wise to divide your portfolio into investments that include both long-term and short-term goals. As far as what percentage you want to divide that into, well that's ultimately up to you. My amateur take is you want at least 50% focused on long-term goals. If you believe that Microsoft will continue to rule 95% of the computer industry 20 years from now, then it's pretty much certain the value of that stock will continue to go up → long term your investment will pay off. For a stock like that, don't worry about the daily or weekly fluctuations. Follow the long-term charts. For meme-stocks, they are extremely stressful. Those you will want to follow closely, bc you could miss your opportunity to get out and realize your profits.

Also, if we are talking about $5 it's no big deal, but if you start investing amounts you consider substantial, make sure to understand you will be taxed on profits at the end of the year. Robinhood will generate tax documents for you.

Good Luck! A few of the posters on here have really quality advice, and this thread is definitely worth watching. Do your research. Be informed. Know when quarterly reports are being released. Find out about upcoming products, clinical trials, etc. All of that information is readily available via Google. With a little luck, your wife's boyfriend will be delivering your tendies and shining your shoes!

***DISCLAIMER: I am an amateur "millennial" investor myself, but I am really frugal with money, and I don't buy avocado toast. There are other on here that could probably give you better or more detailed advice, but hopefully this helps a little.

IBTL likes this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Where do I go now that Robinhood is not working?

IBTL likes this.
  11. STR8Thugg

Clown shoes man. What a crock of ****.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The suits are legit scared now.

13. rox0607champs

rox0607champs Member

Ubiquitin and saitou like this.
  14. STR8Thugg

Wow they closed out NAKD and CTRM too... what a ****ing joke. Those weren't even insane compared to GME, like at all.

It's gonna crash to armageddon for these meme stocks today.

saitou likes this.
  15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

$AAL to 50?

saitou likes this.
  16. Commodore

17. STR8Thugg

I'm getting in today.

saitou likes this.
  18. rox0607champs

rox0607champs Member

Fidelity, Sofi and i believe etrade

DreamShook and saitou like this.
  19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

They need to go after these criminals. This system is unbelievably rigged and in their moment of fear and panic they made it blindingly obvious.

STR8Thugg, saitou and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  20. Commodore

Robinhood only allowing selling but not buying would seem like blatant market manipulation.

But I'm guessing they wouldn't do it without the blessing of the Feds.